re: [midatlanticretro] Re: OT: Angry Video Game Nerd in Clifton, NJ on December 4, 2010

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010

      > The store definitely seemed awesome, though. They had a ton of vintage
      games and computer software, including a whole section for the C64 and
      VIC-20. Slightly overpriced, though. They were charging $60 for a Commodore
      64 - ridiculous!

      I don't agree. Charge a price people are willing to pay. In a shop with
      hundreds of customers ? You could find someone willing to pay$ 100. Also
      a working c64 is not so easy to find. Does MARCH have more than 1 ?

      Bill
    • Justin Jernigan
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010
        I second that, $60 for a tested/working 64 isn't a bad price purchased from a retail environment.  Not working they still fetch $20 on the chance the SID is working.  That isn't to say I would pay that price, but I am in the hobby.  If I were getting back into the hobby, or starting the hobby, I would likely perceive that as fair.

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010
          >>> When I left the store after getting the signature, the line of people waiting to get inside was four blocks long!

          I never heard of AVGN before last month. What has this guy done that makes his autograph so desirable?

          >>> Slightly overpriced, though. They were charging $60 for a Commodore 64 - ridiculous!

          I agree with Bill + Justin. Sorry to gang up on you :) but your perspective is a tad spoiled by your "insider" status (as a hobbyist and due to your involvement in a club and museum) -- most people aren't that fortunate. Also consider the cost + time commitment of running a specialty retail store in northern NJ.

          That being said, $60 for a known-working system (presumably boxed + cleaned) is fair to the store's customers (who for that product are likely to be the standard customers' parents -- and whom in the Clifton vicinity have plenty of money.)

          Bill: yes, we have more than one in working condition. Jeff B., do you know how many?
        • Gene Buckle
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010
            On Sun, 5 Dec 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

            > I don't agree. Charge a price people are willing to pay. In a shop with
            > hundreds of customers ? You could find someone willing to pay$ 100. Also
            > a working c64 is not so easy to find. Does MARCH have more than 1 ?

            I call shennanigans. You can't swing a dead cat on eBay without hitting a
            pile of 64's. A nice mix of breadbox & 64Cs, often times with books,
            disks and a drive for under $60. A 128 will fetch $60+ and the SX-64 is
            normal to see in the $100+ range.

            Craigslist can be a good source too.

            If $60 is the _local_ going price for a machine with no drives, then
            you've got a customer base not so familiar with this "internet" thingy. :)

            (now by all means, if you can get $60 for a stand-alone breadbin, by all
            means take it! :) )

            g.

            --
            Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

            by the clean end.
          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010
              Evan: At last count we have three or four in working condition. And four or so not working.

              To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
              From: evan@...
              Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 14:26:14 +0000
              Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: OT: Angry Video Game Nerd in Clifton, NJ on December 4, 2010

              >>> When I left the store after getting the signature, the line of people waiting to get inside was four blocks long!

              I never heard of AVGN before last month. What has this guy done that makes his autograph so desirable?

              >>> Slightly overpriced, though. They were charging $60 for a Commodore 64 - ridiculous!

              I agree with Bill + Justin. Sorry to gang up on you :) but your perspective is a tad spoiled by your "insider" status (as a hobbyist and due to your involvement in a club and museum) -- most people aren't that fortunate. Also consider the cost + time commitment of running a specialty retail store in northern NJ.

              That being said, $60 for a known-working system (presumably boxed + cleaned) is fair to the store's customers (who for that product are likely to be the standard customers' parents -- and whom in the Clifton vicinity have plenty of money.)

              Bill: yes, we have more than one in working condition. Jeff B., do you know how many?

            • Bill Loguidice
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010

                I disagree. No shipping, seeing it in person (i.e., you know EXACTLY what you’re getting), and a working guarantee for $60 is reasonable. Not the best deal ever, but reasonable. Certainly the Digital Press store has/has had better deals than that (in fact, in some cases better than the going rate on eBay), but as a collector I’d have no issue in paying that if I needed one.

                Bill Loguidice, Managing Director

                Armchair Arcade, Inc.

                http://www.armchairarcade.com

                Authored Books: http://www.armchairarcade.com/books