Re: OT: Angry Video Game Nerd in Clifton, NJ on December 4, 2010

  • mattmik
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010
      I went! It was pretty cool. Very disorganized, though. I don't think Digital Press expected so many people to show up. I overheard one of the employees talking to his boss, and they both seemed shocked. I showed up around 2:50 and the Nerd was set to start signing at 3:00. The line was already one block long. At around 5:00, I finally got inside from the freezing cold, only to wait on another line. Finally, I got a picture and a signature from The Nerd and Mike Matei, who both seemed like pretty cool people. Ya gotta give them a ton of credit for having so much patience. When I left the store after getting the signature, the line of people waiting to get inside was four blocks long!

      The store definitely seemed awesome, though. They had a ton of vintage games and computer software, including a whole section for the C64 and VIC-20. Slightly overpriced, though. They were charging $60 for a Commodore 64 - ridiculous!

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "ysgdhio" <ysgdhio@...> wrote:
      > Did anyone go to this?
      > How was it?
    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010

        > The store definitely seemed awesome, though. They had a ton of vintage
        games and computer software, including a whole section for the C64 and
        VIC-20. Slightly overpriced, though. They were charging $60 for a Commodore
        64 - ridiculous!

        I don't agree. Charge a price people are willing to pay. In a shop with
        hundreds of customers ? You could find someone willing to pay$ 100. Also
        a working c64 is not so easy to find. Does MARCH have more than 1 ?

        Bill
      • Justin Jernigan
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010
          I second that, $60 for a tested/working 64 isn't a bad price purchased from a retail environment.  Not working they still fetch $20 on the chance the SID is working.  That isn't to say I would pay that price, but I am in the hobby.  If I were getting back into the hobby, or starting the hobby, I would likely perceive that as fair.

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010
            >>> When I left the store after getting the signature, the line of people waiting to get inside was four blocks long!

            I never heard of AVGN before last month. What has this guy done that makes his autograph so desirable?

            >>> Slightly overpriced, though. They were charging $60 for a Commodore 64 - ridiculous!

            I agree with Bill + Justin. Sorry to gang up on you :) but your perspective is a tad spoiled by your "insider" status (as a hobbyist and due to your involvement in a club and museum) -- most people aren't that fortunate. Also consider the cost + time commitment of running a specialty retail store in northern NJ.

            That being said, $60 for a known-working system (presumably boxed + cleaned) is fair to the store's customers (who for that product are likely to be the standard customers' parents -- and whom in the Clifton vicinity have plenty of money.)

            Bill: yes, we have more than one in working condition. Jeff B., do you know how many?
          • Gene Buckle
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010
              On Sun, 5 Dec 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

              > I don't agree. Charge a price people are willing to pay. In a shop with
              > hundreds of customers ? You could find someone willing to pay$ 100. Also
              > a working c64 is not so easy to find. Does MARCH have more than 1 ?

              I call shennanigans. You can't swing a dead cat on eBay without hitting a
              pile of 64's. A nice mix of breadbox & 64Cs, often times with books,
              disks and a drive for under $60. A 128 will fetch $60+ and the SX-64 is
              normal to see in the $100+ range.

              Craigslist can be a good source too.

              If $60 is the _local_ going price for a machine with no drives, then
              you've got a customer base not so familiar with this "internet" thingy. :)

              (now by all means, if you can get $60 for a stand-alone breadbin, by all
              means take it! :) )

              g.

              --
              Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

              by the clean end.
            • Jeffrey Brace
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010
                Evan: At last count we have three or four in working condition. And four or so not working.

                To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                From: evan@...
                Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 14:26:14 +0000
                Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: OT: Angry Video Game Nerd in Clifton, NJ on December 4, 2010

                >>> When I left the store after getting the signature, the line of people waiting to get inside was four blocks long!

                I never heard of AVGN before last month. What has this guy done that makes his autograph so desirable?

                >>> Slightly overpriced, though. They were charging $60 for a Commodore 64 - ridiculous!

                I agree with Bill + Justin. Sorry to gang up on you :) but your perspective is a tad spoiled by your "insider" status (as a hobbyist and due to your involvement in a club and museum) -- most people aren't that fortunate. Also consider the cost + time commitment of running a specialty retail store in northern NJ.

                That being said, $60 for a known-working system (presumably boxed + cleaned) is fair to the store's customers (who for that product are likely to be the standard customers' parents -- and whom in the Clifton vicinity have plenty of money.)

                Bill: yes, we have more than one in working condition. Jeff B., do you know how many?

              • Bill Loguidice
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010

                  I disagree. No shipping, seeing it in person (i.e., you know EXACTLY what you’re getting), and a working guarantee for $60 is reasonable. Not the best deal ever, but reasonable. Certainly the Digital Press store has/has had better deals than that (in fact, in some cases better than the going rate on eBay), but as a collector I’d have no issue in paying that if I needed one.

                  Bill Loguidice, Managing Director

                  Armchair Arcade, Inc.

                  http://www.armchairarcade.com

                  Authored Books: http://www.armchairarcade.com/books