Re: OT: Angry Video Game Nerd in Clifton, NJ on December 4, 2010

  • ysgdhio
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 4, 2010
      Did anyone go to this?
      How was it?

      Thanks,
      Andy
    • mattmik
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010
        I went! It was pretty cool. Very disorganized, though. I don't think Digital Press expected so many people to show up. I overheard one of the employees talking to his boss, and they both seemed shocked. I showed up around 2:50 and the Nerd was set to start signing at 3:00. The line was already one block long. At around 5:00, I finally got inside from the freezing cold, only to wait on another line. Finally, I got a picture and a signature from The Nerd and Mike Matei, who both seemed like pretty cool people. Ya gotta give them a ton of credit for having so much patience. When I left the store after getting the signature, the line of people waiting to get inside was four blocks long!

        The store definitely seemed awesome, though. They had a ton of vintage games and computer software, including a whole section for the C64 and VIC-20. Slightly overpriced, though. They were charging $60 for a Commodore 64 - ridiculous!

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "ysgdhio" <ysgdhio@...> wrote:
        > Did anyone go to this?
        > How was it?
      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010

          > The store definitely seemed awesome, though. They had a ton of vintage
          games and computer software, including a whole section for the C64 and
          VIC-20. Slightly overpriced, though. They were charging $60 for a Commodore
          64 - ridiculous!

          I don't agree. Charge a price people are willing to pay. In a shop with
          hundreds of customers ? You could find someone willing to pay$ 100. Also
          a working c64 is not so easy to find. Does MARCH have more than 1 ?

          Bill
        • Justin Jernigan
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010
            I second that, $60 for a tested/working 64 isn't a bad price purchased from a retail environment.  Not working they still fetch $20 on the chance the SID is working.  That isn't to say I would pay that price, but I am in the hobby.  If I were getting back into the hobby, or starting the hobby, I would likely perceive that as fair.

            Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010
              >>> When I left the store after getting the signature, the line of people waiting to get inside was four blocks long!

              I never heard of AVGN before last month. What has this guy done that makes his autograph so desirable?

              >>> Slightly overpriced, though. They were charging $60 for a Commodore 64 - ridiculous!

              I agree with Bill + Justin. Sorry to gang up on you :) but your perspective is a tad spoiled by your "insider" status (as a hobbyist and due to your involvement in a club and museum) -- most people aren't that fortunate. Also consider the cost + time commitment of running a specialty retail store in northern NJ.

              That being said, $60 for a known-working system (presumably boxed + cleaned) is fair to the store's customers (who for that product are likely to be the standard customers' parents -- and whom in the Clifton vicinity have plenty of money.)

              Bill: yes, we have more than one in working condition. Jeff B., do you know how many?
            • Gene Buckle
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010
                On Sun, 5 Dec 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

                > I don't agree. Charge a price people are willing to pay. In a shop with
                > hundreds of customers ? You could find someone willing to pay$ 100. Also
                > a working c64 is not so easy to find. Does MARCH have more than 1 ?

                I call shennanigans. You can't swing a dead cat on eBay without hitting a
                pile of 64's. A nice mix of breadbox & 64Cs, often times with books,
                disks and a drive for under $60. A 128 will fetch $60+ and the SX-64 is
                normal to see in the $100+ range.

                Craigslist can be a good source too.

                If $60 is the _local_ going price for a machine with no drives, then
                you've got a customer base not so familiar with this "internet" thingy. :)

                (now by all means, if you can get $60 for a stand-alone breadbin, by all
                means take it! :) )

                g.

                --
                Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

                by the clean end.
              • Jeffrey Brace
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010
                  Evan: At last count we have three or four in working condition. And four or so not working.

                  To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                  From: evan@...
                  Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 14:26:14 +0000
                  Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: OT: Angry Video Game Nerd in Clifton, NJ on December 4, 2010

                  >>> When I left the store after getting the signature, the line of people waiting to get inside was four blocks long!

                  I never heard of AVGN before last month. What has this guy done that makes his autograph so desirable?

                  >>> Slightly overpriced, though. They were charging $60 for a Commodore 64 - ridiculous!

                  I agree with Bill + Justin. Sorry to gang up on you :) but your perspective is a tad spoiled by your "insider" status (as a hobbyist and due to your involvement in a club and museum) -- most people aren't that fortunate. Also consider the cost + time commitment of running a specialty retail store in northern NJ.

                  That being said, $60 for a known-working system (presumably boxed + cleaned) is fair to the store's customers (who for that product are likely to be the standard customers' parents -- and whom in the Clifton vicinity have plenty of money.)

                  Bill: yes, we have more than one in working condition. Jeff B., do you know how many?

                • Bill Loguidice
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010

                    I disagree. No shipping, seeing it in person (i.e., you know EXACTLY what you’re getting), and a working guarantee for $60 is reasonable. Not the best deal ever, but reasonable. Certainly the Digital Press store has/has had better deals than that (in fact, in some cases better than the going rate on eBay), but as a collector I’d have no issue in paying that if I needed one.

                    Bill Loguidice, Managing Director

                    Armchair Arcade, Inc.

                    http://www.armchairarcade.com

                    Authored Books: http://www.armchairarcade.com/books