Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF lecturers

    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
      >>> I agree, but why is she considered an authority on vintage computers?

      Didn't say she is. She's just a popular figure in our world, she made something cool, and she's a charismatic speaker.
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
        Bob Applegate <bob@...> writes:

        >What part of the "computer chip" (whatever that means) does she create? I =
        >was under the impression she does FPGA work, like pretty much all digital h=
        >ardware engineers do. A lot of people here do engineering as well.

        That COMET (VAX-11/750 sitting at Evans) was built with programmable
        gate arrays back in 1980. The COMET was the first system to use gate
        arrays to create a major system. That's 30 years ago. ;)
      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
          "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

          >Didn't say she is. She's just a popular figure in our world, she made something cool, and she's a charismatic speaker.

          She's just popular with you guys because she's a female that will
          talk to you! :P :D
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
            There's currently a discussion on the CCtalk list about which languages
            VMS/OpenVMS was written in. Brian S., you should know, right?

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
              Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

              > There's currently a discussion on the CCtalk list about which languages
              >VMS/OpenVMS was written in. Brian S., you should know, right?

              Predominantly, Macro-32 (VAX-11 assembly language) and Bliss-32.
              There's a smattering of other languages used for less "involved"
              parts from Ada, to C, to Fortran, to Pascal, and a few others.
              Line count approaches 30 million. I do have the OpenVMS source
              here but I've not made the count myself. :)

              When OpenVMS was ported to Alpha (first 64 Bit architecture) and
              subsequently to Intel Itanium IA-64, the Macro-32 assembler was
              turned into a Macro-32 compiler. You can still write code using
              Macro-32 (and I still do) for VAX, Alpha and Itanium. There are
              small segments of OpenVMS written in Alpha assembler (Macro-64)
              for the Alpha and a small amount of IAS (Intel IA-64 Assembler)
              for Itanium. I've done a fair amount of IAS. It's not for the
              faint of heart.

              OpenVMS defines a calling standard which all assemblers and or
              compilers adhere to; thus, routines can be written in any of the
              supported languages and they can call and be called by any other
              of the supported languages.

              Your question is answered somewhere in the OpenVMS FAQ but I'm
              about to run out and don't have time to locate it. What I have
              written above should suffice as a fairly authoritative answer.
            • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

                > There's currently a discussion on the CCtalk list about which languages
                >VMS/OpenVMS was written in. Brian S., you should know, right?

                FYI, the FAQ is here:

                http://hoffmanlabs.org/vmsfaq/vmsfaq.html
              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                  On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, system@... wrote:

                  > Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:
                  >
                  >> There's currently a discussion on the CCtalk list about which languages
                  >> VMS/OpenVMS was written in. Brian S., you should know, right?
                  >
                  > Predominantly, Macro-32 (VAX-11 assembly language) and Bliss-32.
                  > There's a smattering of other languages used for less "involved"
                  > parts from Ada, to C, to Fortran, to Pascal, and a few others.
                  > Line count approaches 30 million. I do have the OpenVMS source
                  > here but I've not made the count myself. :)

                  Thanks, I passed it on to the list.

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                • Gene Buckle
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                    On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                    > Didn't say she is. She's just a popular figure in our world, she made
                    > something cool, and she's a charismatic speaker.

                    ...and she built a chip fab in her *garage*.

                    g.
                    --
                    Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

                    by the clean end.
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                      Gene Buckle wrote:
                      On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                      I agree, but why is she considered an authority on vintage computers?

                      Didn't say she is. She's just a popular figure in our world, she made
                      something cool, and she's a charismatic speaker.

                      ...and she built a chip fab in her *garage*.

                      g.

                      Like they were doing it in the early 70's.

                      Everyone is making good points here.  This is a show for the purposes of entertainment.  I say get whomever will draw the most people and have the most interesting talk.

                      A vintage computer film festival would be fun too.  A big screen opportunity for people who can't bring their computers to show them.

                      Bill
                    • Jeffrey Brace
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                        From: billdeg@...

                        Like they were doing it in the early 70's.

                        Everyone is making good points here.  This is a show for the purposes of entertainment.  I say get whomever will draw the most people and have the most interesting talk.

                        A vintage computer film festival would be fun too.  A big screen opportunity for people who can't bring their computers to show them.

                        Bill

                        =========================

                        my thoughts exactly bill !
                        JeffThree B

                      • Mike
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 1, 2010
                          Hi folks,

                          Is there a date set? If it is still planned for the spring, I was hoping to come down and you all would allow me to show my Apple2 and Apple1 replica PCBs along with some early original A2 stuff. I can also do a talk. I have learned a lot over the last several years and I have three possible themes that I could take on.

                          1) The evolution of the technology of the Apple 1 to the Apple II
                          2) The Apple 1, fact and fiction and things we will probably never know
                          3) Challenges of building a replica PCB

                          Regards,
                          Mike Willegal

                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 1, 2010
                            "Mike" <mike@...> writes:

                            >Hi folks,
                            >
                            >Is there a date set? If it is still planned for the spring, I was hoping =

                            I have May 14th and 15th inked on my calendar.
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 1, 2010
                              system@... wrote:
                              "Mike" <mike@...> writes:

                              Hi folks,

                              Is there a date set?   If it is still planned for the spring, I was hoping =

                              I have May 14th and 15th inked on my calendar.

                              http://midatlanticretro.com/ - I keep the calendar up to date if you're ever looking for a list of known events and dates.  If something is missing, let me know.
                              Bill
                            • Bob Applegate
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 1, 2010
                                Joel Shusterman, one of the founders and President of Franklin Computer
                                had offered to step in as a speaker when I asked a couple years ago. He
                                was hoping to be on a panel where some of the early pioneers could discuss
                                what the personal computer industry was like in the 70s and 80s. Before
                                starting Franklin, Joel had a very popular computer store in Cherry Hill
                                during the 70s.

                                An old article involving him:

                                http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/franklin/making.pdf

                                Joel was also VP of Marketing for Commodore for a while.

                                Just another option.

                                Bob
                              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 1, 2010
                                  Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

                                  > There's currently a discussion on the CCtalk list about which languages
                                  >VMS/OpenVMS was written in. Brian S., you should know, right?

                                  Mike,

                                  You prompted me to locate the CCtalk list. I found a web archive of the
                                  thread you were referring to but nothing there that you may have posted.

                                  OMG. So many posts so misguided and misinformed; at least, that was my
                                  impression from reading the prior two months of threads WRT OpenVMS and
                                  VAX. The "Happy Birthday" thread Christian started was an eye opener of
                                  misinformation. You can trust in anything Antonio may say but discount
                                  anything Johnny has to gripe on. I recognized several other names there
                                  that I have encountered over the years. Tim Shoppa, for example. Tim's
                                  a good guy. I saw his name on many posts, mostly PDP related. I've been
                                  to Tim's home to rescue kit. I saw one of his postings too about Charlie
                                  Matco, pseudonym of the late Terry Shannon -- great guy and sorely missed
                                  friend.