Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF lecturers

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
      Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

      > Roger Amidon - TDL and Epson Valdocs
      > Jeri Elsworth

      This Jeri? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeri_Ellsworth

      I was soldering discrete components on circuit boards to build my 1st
      computer when she was still soiling nappies. She didn't get into the
      computer biz until 1995, according to that Wiki. I'm not dismissing
      her accomplishments but I thought this was about retro computing. I
      recall somebody posting an equation here with one variable being age
      of at least 20 years ago as one of the selection criteria.
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
        >> Roger Amidon - TDL and Epson Valdocs
        >> Jeri Elsworth
        > This Jeri? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeri_Ellsworth

        Yes. Many of us know her personally. She also gave an impromptu talk
        at VCF East 4.0 (the year we had Peddle.)

        > I was soldering discrete components on circuit boards to build my 1st computer when she was still soiling nappies. She didn't get into the computer biz until 1995, according to that Wiki. I'm not dismissing her accomplishments but I thought this was about retro computing.

        She's got historical cred because of her C64 accomplishments. (Not all
        of our speakers must personally be historic figures. There is plenty of
        precedent for people who simply know * about * history or who designed
        replica kits, etc.)
      • Bryan Pope
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
          On 11/30/2010 3:54 PM, system@... wrote:
          > Evan Koblentz<evan@...> writes:
          >
          >> Roger Amidon - TDL and Epson Valdocs
          >> Jeri Elsworth
          > This Jeri? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeri_Ellsworth
          >
          > I was soldering discrete components on circuit boards to build my 1st
          > computer when she was still soiling nappies. She didn't get into the
          > computer biz until 1995, according to that Wiki. I'm not dismissing
          > her accomplishments but I thought this was about retro computing. I
          > recall somebody posting an equation here with one variable being age
          > of at least 20 years ago as one of the selection criteria.
          !!!!!!!!!!

          You are obviously not into the Commodore scene... Jeri put the entire
          C64 onto a chip by herself. Did you read the part that she is a
          *self-taught* chip designer? The C64-DTV is very easily hackable to add
          a keyboard, joysticks and IEC peripherals.

          She also just happens to create her own computer chips. From scratch.
          She talked about this and showed some pics during her talk at VCF east 4.0.

          Just because she was not a part of "history" is no reason to throw her
          out with the bathwater...

          Cheers,

          Bryan
        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
            Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...> writes:

            >You are obviously not into the Commodore scene... Jeri put the entire
            >C64 onto a chip by herself. Did you read the part that she is a

            I'm not into computer games; never played them and I don't have much
            desire to ever play them.

            And the C64 it could have been emulated in software too.

            >*self-taught* chip designer? The C64-DTV is very easily hackable to add
            >a keyboard, joysticks and IEC peripherals.

            Well, I worked in a DoD class-10 ASIC facility and wrote the device
            driver for a nano-lithographic ion-beam etching machine but, I will
            admit, I've never designed a chip.

            >She also just happens to create her own computer chips. From scratch.
            >She talked about this and showed some pics during her talk at VCF east 4.0.

            As I read in the Wiki and a few articles linked to it. Like I said,
            I wasn't dismissing her accomplishments.

            >Just because she was not a part of "history" is no reason to throw her
            >out with the bathwater...

            Only toss out those that are. ;)
          • Bob Applegate
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010

              She also just happens to create her own computer chips. From scratch.
              She talked about this and showed some pics during her talk at VCF east 4.0.

              What part of the "computer chip" (whatever that means) does she create?  I was under the impression she does FPGA work, like pretty much all digital hardware engineers do.  A lot of people here do engineering as well.

              Just because she was not a part of "history" is no reason to throw her
              out with the bathwater...

              I agree, but why is she considered an authority on vintage computers?  Simulators in FPGA for old gaming systems are dead common... there are many examples of them as part of FPGA vendor demos.  Call Altera, Xilinx and Lattice to see if they can have someone give a talk.

              Bob

              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                >>> I agree, but why is she considered an authority on vintage computers?

                Didn't say she is. She's just a popular figure in our world, she made something cool, and she's a charismatic speaker.
              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                  Bob Applegate <bob@...> writes:

                  >What part of the "computer chip" (whatever that means) does she create? I =
                  >was under the impression she does FPGA work, like pretty much all digital h=
                  >ardware engineers do. A lot of people here do engineering as well.

                  That COMET (VAX-11/750 sitting at Evans) was built with programmable
                  gate arrays back in 1980. The COMET was the first system to use gate
                  arrays to create a major system. That's 30 years ago. ;)
                • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                    "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

                    >Didn't say she is. She's just a popular figure in our world, she made something cool, and she's a charismatic speaker.

                    She's just popular with you guys because she's a female that will
                    talk to you! :P :D
                  • Mike Loewen
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                      There's currently a discussion on the CCtalk list about which languages
                      VMS/OpenVMS was written in. Brian S., you should know, right?

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                        Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

                        > There's currently a discussion on the CCtalk list about which languages
                        >VMS/OpenVMS was written in. Brian S., you should know, right?

                        Predominantly, Macro-32 (VAX-11 assembly language) and Bliss-32.
                        There's a smattering of other languages used for less "involved"
                        parts from Ada, to C, to Fortran, to Pascal, and a few others.
                        Line count approaches 30 million. I do have the OpenVMS source
                        here but I've not made the count myself. :)

                        When OpenVMS was ported to Alpha (first 64 Bit architecture) and
                        subsequently to Intel Itanium IA-64, the Macro-32 assembler was
                        turned into a Macro-32 compiler. You can still write code using
                        Macro-32 (and I still do) for VAX, Alpha and Itanium. There are
                        small segments of OpenVMS written in Alpha assembler (Macro-64)
                        for the Alpha and a small amount of IAS (Intel IA-64 Assembler)
                        for Itanium. I've done a fair amount of IAS. It's not for the
                        faint of heart.

                        OpenVMS defines a calling standard which all assemblers and or
                        compilers adhere to; thus, routines can be written in any of the
                        supported languages and they can call and be called by any other
                        of the supported languages.

                        Your question is answered somewhere in the OpenVMS FAQ but I'm
                        about to run out and don't have time to locate it. What I have
                        written above should suffice as a fairly authoritative answer.
                      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                          Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

                          > There's currently a discussion on the CCtalk list about which languages
                          >VMS/OpenVMS was written in. Brian S., you should know, right?

                          FYI, the FAQ is here:

                          http://hoffmanlabs.org/vmsfaq/vmsfaq.html
                        • Mike Loewen
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                            On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, system@... wrote:

                            > Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:
                            >
                            >> There's currently a discussion on the CCtalk list about which languages
                            >> VMS/OpenVMS was written in. Brian S., you should know, right?
                            >
                            > Predominantly, Macro-32 (VAX-11 assembly language) and Bliss-32.
                            > There's a smattering of other languages used for less "involved"
                            > parts from Ada, to C, to Fortran, to Pascal, and a few others.
                            > Line count approaches 30 million. I do have the OpenVMS source
                            > here but I've not made the count myself. :)

                            Thanks, I passed it on to the list.

                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                          • Gene Buckle
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                              On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                              > Didn't say she is. She's just a popular figure in our world, she made
                              > something cool, and she's a charismatic speaker.

                              ...and she built a chip fab in her *garage*.

                              g.
                              --
                              Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

                              by the clean end.
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                                Gene Buckle wrote:
                                On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                I agree, but why is she considered an authority on vintage computers?

                                Didn't say she is. She's just a popular figure in our world, she made
                                something cool, and she's a charismatic speaker.

                                ...and she built a chip fab in her *garage*.

                                g.

                                Like they were doing it in the early 70's.

                                Everyone is making good points here.  This is a show for the purposes of entertainment.  I say get whomever will draw the most people and have the most interesting talk.

                                A vintage computer film festival would be fun too.  A big screen opportunity for people who can't bring their computers to show them.

                                Bill
                              • Jeffrey Brace
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                                  From: billdeg@...

                                  Like they were doing it in the early 70's.

                                  Everyone is making good points here.  This is a show for the purposes of entertainment.  I say get whomever will draw the most people and have the most interesting talk.

                                  A vintage computer film festival would be fun too.  A big screen opportunity for people who can't bring their computers to show them.

                                  Bill

                                  =========================

                                  my thoughts exactly bill !
                                  JeffThree B

                                • Mike
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 1, 2010
                                    Hi folks,

                                    Is there a date set? If it is still planned for the spring, I was hoping to come down and you all would allow me to show my Apple2 and Apple1 replica PCBs along with some early original A2 stuff. I can also do a talk. I have learned a lot over the last several years and I have three possible themes that I could take on.

                                    1) The evolution of the technology of the Apple 1 to the Apple II
                                    2) The Apple 1, fact and fiction and things we will probably never know
                                    3) Challenges of building a replica PCB

                                    Regards,
                                    Mike Willegal

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 1, 2010
                                      "Mike" <mike@...> writes:

                                      >Hi folks,
                                      >
                                      >Is there a date set? If it is still planned for the spring, I was hoping =

                                      I have May 14th and 15th inked on my calendar.
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 1, 2010
                                        system@... wrote:
                                        "Mike" <mike@...> writes:

                                        Hi folks,

                                        Is there a date set?   If it is still planned for the spring, I was hoping =

                                        I have May 14th and 15th inked on my calendar.

                                        http://midatlanticretro.com/ - I keep the calendar up to date if you're ever looking for a list of known events and dates.  If something is missing, let me know.
                                        Bill
                                      • Bob Applegate
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Dec 1, 2010
                                          Joel Shusterman, one of the founders and President of Franklin Computer
                                          had offered to step in as a speaker when I asked a couple years ago. He
                                          was hoping to be on a panel where some of the early pioneers could discuss
                                          what the personal computer industry was like in the 70s and 80s. Before
                                          starting Franklin, Joel had a very popular computer store in Cherry Hill
                                          during the 70s.

                                          An old article involving him:

                                          http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/franklin/making.pdf

                                          Joel was also VP of Marketing for Commodore for a while.

                                          Just another option.

                                          Bob
                                        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Dec 1, 2010
                                            Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

                                            > There's currently a discussion on the CCtalk list about which languages
                                            >VMS/OpenVMS was written in. Brian S., you should know, right?

                                            Mike,

                                            You prompted me to locate the CCtalk list. I found a web archive of the
                                            thread you were referring to but nothing there that you may have posted.

                                            OMG. So many posts so misguided and misinformed; at least, that was my
                                            impression from reading the prior two months of threads WRT OpenVMS and
                                            VAX. The "Happy Birthday" thread Christian started was an eye opener of
                                            misinformation. You can trust in anything Antonio may say but discount
                                            anything Johnny has to gripe on. I recognized several other names there
                                            that I have encountered over the years. Tim Shoppa, for example. Tim's
                                            a good guy. I saw his name on many posts, mostly PDP related. I've been
                                            to Tim's home to rescue kit. I saw one of his postings too about Charlie
                                            Matco, pseudonym of the late Terry Shannon -- great guy and sorely missed
                                            friend.