Lecture this morning

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2010
      Gave my lecture at Sussex County Tech H.S. this morning. It went really
      well. I focused on big-picture computer history, and then I explained
      how New Jersey fits in. There were around 100 kids and several
      teachers. The kids were well behaved and mostly paid attention. About
      a dozen of them asked good questions at the end. Overall it was a great
      experience. The teacher who arranged it was also pleased. When I
      walked back to my car I saw a couple of the students and they
      complimented me. Looking forward to doing more of these lectures in the
      future. I even got some laughs -- mostly by being a straight-shooter
      and respecting the kids' intelligence.
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
        That's great ! It's good to get the younger generation interested. Sounds like fun !

        To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
          There's more coming soon: this Friday morning, InfoAge is being visited by 60 kids from Neptune H.S. -- they're taking a (very quick) tour of all the museums, followed by some breakout sessions.  I'll be there.

          That's great ! It's good to get the younger generation interested. Sounds like fun !

          To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
          From: evan@...
          Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 15:13:59 -0500

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
            Hopefully you are able to give more than a 3 minute tour and get some genuinely interested students. May I ask how they are finding out about MARCH/InfoAge ?

            To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
            From: evan@...
            Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 00:08:08 -0500
            Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Lecture this morning

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
              Someone on the InfoAge board of trustees set this up.  I think he reached out to the school system.

              I'm told we will have six-kid groups of 10 minutes each.  So I'll probably just pick two or three artifacts.  The idea here is to get the kids to come back on their own time, not show them the whole museum.  We all agreed at the InfoAge meeting tonight that 10 minutes is way too short, but we were told the school has some kind of time limit.

              To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
              From: evan@...
              Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 00:08:08 -0500

            • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 2, 2010
                Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

                >There's more coming soon: this Friday morning, InfoAge is being visited
                >by 60 kids from Neptune H.S. -- they're taking a (very quick) tour of
                >all the museums, followed by some breakout sessions. I'll be there.

                That's great that the Neptune school district is making use of a local
                resource. I took a stack of the InfoAge glossy material with me after
                the Haunted Hike and I've passed it about here in the Jackson schools;
                Jackson is close enough to take advantage of a field trip to InfoAge.