Re: [midatlanticretro] Lecturers for VCF East 7.0?

    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 29, 2010
      >>> I need ideas for people we can invite as keynoters to our next VCF East.
      >> Forrest Mims
      > I cold-emailed him. He wrote write back.

      Oops .... "right" back.

      > Said he's unable to attend in person (because of a trip to Hawaii scheduled for right after our show), but he's open to Skyping in via video, just like Peddle did. So this is NOT yet an official confirmation. But it's a good possibility.

      Update: he requested that I circle back after the new year. He sounds
      jazzed about the idea.

      Big thanks to Dan for suggesting him. Sometimes I don't see the (groan
      alert!) Forrest for the trees.
    • David
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
        What about inviting Dennis Ritchie?

        Story in the Star Ledger yesterday: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/01/nj_bell_labs_inventors_of_unix.html

        Bonus: he's a local Jersey guy!

        --Dave Sica

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
          I've tried getting him and Thompson many times. They always decline.

          > What about inviting Dennis Ritchie?
          >
          > Story in the Star Ledger yesterday: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/01/nj_bell_labs_inventors_of_unix.html
          >
          > Bonus: he's a local Jersey guy!
          >
          > --Dave Sica
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
            Good idea. He's the one who helped develop the C programming language too,
            or is that someone else?

            Bill Degnan

            > > I need ideas for people we can invite as keynoters to our next VCF
            East.

          • Bob Applegate
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
              > Good idea. He's the one who helped develop the C programming language
              > too,
              > or is that someone else?

              He's the R of K&R.
            • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
                "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

                >Good idea. He's the one who helped develop the C programming language too,
                >or is that someone else?

                Careful, I wouldn't consider that to be a nobel accolade; it's more of a
                misfortunate happenstance. ;)
              • Justin Jernigan
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
                  While not "Nobel", I believe it was worthy of a Turing Award and a National Medal of Technology though.  Just sayin'

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Jan 27, 2011, at 3:49 PM, system@... wrote:

                  "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

                  >Good idea. He's the one who helped develop the C programming language too,
                  >or is that someone else?

                  Careful, I wouldn't consider that to be a nobel accolade; it's more of a
                  misfortunate happenstance. ;)

                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
                    On Thursday, January 27, 2011, Justin Jernigan <jaj@...> wrote:

                    > While not "Nobel", I believe it was worthy of a Turing Award and a National Medal of Technology though.  Just sayin'

                    ....at Bell Labs
                    I think we should bribe him, I dunno, breakfast,lunch,dinner, call
                    girl, annual museum membership
                    I won't tell

                    =Dan
                    Bell Labs alum