Re: [midatlanticretro] Lecturers for VCF East 7.0?

    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 29, 2010
      >> Hi all --
      >>
      >> I need ideas for people we can invite as keynoters to our next VCF East.
      > Forrest Mims

      I cold-emailed him. He wrote write back. Said he's unable to attend in
      person (because of a trip to Hawaii scheduled for right after our show),
      but he's open to Skyping in via video, just like Peddle did.

      So this is NOT yet an official confirmation. But it's a good possibility.
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 29, 2010
        >>> I need ideas for people we can invite as keynoters to our next VCF East.
        >> Forrest Mims
        > I cold-emailed him. He wrote write back.

        Oops .... "right" back.

        > Said he's unable to attend in person (because of a trip to Hawaii scheduled for right after our show), but he's open to Skyping in via video, just like Peddle did. So this is NOT yet an official confirmation. But it's a good possibility.

        Update: he requested that I circle back after the new year. He sounds
        jazzed about the idea.

        Big thanks to Dan for suggesting him. Sometimes I don't see the (groan
        alert!) Forrest for the trees.
      • David
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
          What about inviting Dennis Ritchie?

          Story in the Star Ledger yesterday: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/01/nj_bell_labs_inventors_of_unix.html

          Bonus: he's a local Jersey guy!

          --Dave Sica

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
            I've tried getting him and Thompson many times. They always decline.

            > What about inviting Dennis Ritchie?
            >
            > Story in the Star Ledger yesterday: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/01/nj_bell_labs_inventors_of_unix.html
            >
            > Bonus: he's a local Jersey guy!
            >
            > --Dave Sica
          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
              Good idea. He's the one who helped develop the C programming language too,
              or is that someone else?

              Bill Degnan

              > > I need ideas for people we can invite as keynoters to our next VCF
              East.

            • Bob Applegate
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
                > Good idea. He's the one who helped develop the C programming language
                > too,
                > or is that someone else?

                He's the R of K&R.
              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
                  "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

                  >Good idea. He's the one who helped develop the C programming language too,
                  >or is that someone else?

                  Careful, I wouldn't consider that to be a nobel accolade; it's more of a
                  misfortunate happenstance. ;)
                • Justin Jernigan
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
                    While not "Nobel", I believe it was worthy of a Turing Award and a National Medal of Technology though.  Just sayin'

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Jan 27, 2011, at 3:49 PM, system@... wrote:

                    "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

                    >Good idea. He's the one who helped develop the C programming language too,
                    >or is that someone else?

                    Careful, I wouldn't consider that to be a nobel accolade; it's more of a
                    misfortunate happenstance. ;)

                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
                      On Thursday, January 27, 2011, Justin Jernigan <jaj@...> wrote:

                      > While not "Nobel", I believe it was worthy of a Turing Award and a National Medal of Technology though.  Just sayin'

                      ....at Bell Labs
                      I think we should bribe him, I dunno, breakfast,lunch,dinner, call
                      girl, annual museum membership
                      I won't tell

                      =Dan
                      Bell Labs alum