Re: [midatlanticretro] Lecturers for VCF East 7.0?

  • Justin Jernigan
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 29, 2010
      Co creator of first commercial video game running on PDP 11.  I think he lives on east coast.

      Sent from my iPhone

      Who's that?

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 29, 2010
        >> Hi all --
        >>
        >> I need ideas for people we can invite as keynoters to our next VCF East.
        > Forrest Mims

        I cold-emailed him. He wrote write back. Said he's unable to attend in
        person (because of a trip to Hawaii scheduled for right after our show),
        but he's open to Skyping in via video, just like Peddle did.

        So this is NOT yet an official confirmation. But it's a good possibility.
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 29, 2010
          >>> I need ideas for people we can invite as keynoters to our next VCF East.
          >> Forrest Mims
          > I cold-emailed him. He wrote write back.

          Oops .... "right" back.

          > Said he's unable to attend in person (because of a trip to Hawaii scheduled for right after our show), but he's open to Skyping in via video, just like Peddle did. So this is NOT yet an official confirmation. But it's a good possibility.

          Update: he requested that I circle back after the new year. He sounds
          jazzed about the idea.

          Big thanks to Dan for suggesting him. Sometimes I don't see the (groan
          alert!) Forrest for the trees.
        • David
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
            What about inviting Dennis Ritchie?

            Story in the Star Ledger yesterday: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/01/nj_bell_labs_inventors_of_unix.html

            Bonus: he's a local Jersey guy!

            --Dave Sica

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
              I've tried getting him and Thompson many times. They always decline.

              > What about inviting Dennis Ritchie?
              >
              > Story in the Star Ledger yesterday: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/01/nj_bell_labs_inventors_of_unix.html
              >
              > Bonus: he's a local Jersey guy!
              >
              > --Dave Sica
            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
                Good idea. He's the one who helped develop the C programming language too,
                or is that someone else?

                Bill Degnan

                > > I need ideas for people we can invite as keynoters to our next VCF
                East.

              • Bob Applegate
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
                  > Good idea. He's the one who helped develop the C programming language
                  > too,
                  > or is that someone else?

                  He's the R of K&R.
                • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
                    "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

                    >Good idea. He's the one who helped develop the C programming language too,
                    >or is that someone else?

                    Careful, I wouldn't consider that to be a nobel accolade; it's more of a
                    misfortunate happenstance. ;)
                  • Justin Jernigan
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
                      While not "Nobel", I believe it was worthy of a Turing Award and a National Medal of Technology though.  Just sayin'

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On Jan 27, 2011, at 3:49 PM, system@... wrote:

                      "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

                      >Good idea. He's the one who helped develop the C programming language too,
                      >or is that someone else?

                      Careful, I wouldn't consider that to be a nobel accolade; it's more of a
                      misfortunate happenstance. ;)

                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
                        On Thursday, January 27, 2011, Justin Jernigan <jaj@...> wrote:

                        > While not "Nobel", I believe it was worthy of a Turing Award and a National Medal of Technology though.  Just sayin'

                        ....at Bell Labs
                        I think we should bribe him, I dunno, breakfast,lunch,dinner, call
                        girl, annual museum membership
                        I won't tell

                        =Dan
                        Bell Labs alum