Lecturers for VCF East 7.0?

    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 29, 2010
      Hi all --

      I need ideas for people we can invite as keynoters to our next VCF East.

      So far I invited Dick Moberg (of the 1978 Philadelphia Computer Music
      Festival) and Robert V. (of EAI/Rutgers). Both were unable to attend
      our past events, but perhaps the super-early notice will help.

      Before ya'll ask: Woz knows that he has a standing invitation. All I
      can do is * gently * nag him to accept it.

      Anybody else who's in the area and who would make a good guest for us?

      Also: if any of you want to give a talk, let me know that, too. However
      I need to hear solid, thought-out ideas.
    • Jason T
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 29, 2010
        On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
        > Before ya'll ask: Woz knows that he has a standing invitation. All I
        > can do is * gently * nag him to accept it.

        I likewise invited him to VCF-MW. He said he doesn't travel as much
        as he used to and probably couldn't make it. But just the fact that
        her replied (personally and twice) shows he's a Good Egg.

        Now to get on Sellam about having VCF in the SFO area again...

        --
        jht
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 29, 2010
          On Monday, November 29, 2010, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
          >Hi all --
          >
          > I need ideas for people we can invite as keynoters to our next VCF East.

          Forrest Mims

        • Justin Jernigan

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 29, 2010
              Who's that?

              > Bill Pitts
            • Justin Jernigan
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 29, 2010
                Co creator of first commercial video game running on PDP 11.  I think he lives on east coast.

                Sent from my iPhone

                Who's that?

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 29, 2010
                  >> Hi all --
                  >>
                  >> I need ideas for people we can invite as keynoters to our next VCF East.
                  > Forrest Mims

                  I cold-emailed him. He wrote write back. Said he's unable to attend in
                  person (because of a trip to Hawaii scheduled for right after our show),
                  but he's open to Skyping in via video, just like Peddle did.

                  So this is NOT yet an official confirmation. But it's a good possibility.
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 29, 2010
                    >>> I need ideas for people we can invite as keynoters to our next VCF East.
                    >> Forrest Mims
                    > I cold-emailed him. He wrote write back.

                    Oops .... "right" back.

                    > Said he's unable to attend in person (because of a trip to Hawaii scheduled for right after our show), but he's open to Skyping in via video, just like Peddle did. So this is NOT yet an official confirmation. But it's a good possibility.

                    Update: he requested that I circle back after the new year. He sounds
                    jazzed about the idea.

                    Big thanks to Dan for suggesting him. Sometimes I don't see the (groan
                    alert!) Forrest for the trees.
                  • David
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
                      What about inviting Dennis Ritchie?

                      Story in the Star Ledger yesterday: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/01/nj_bell_labs_inventors_of_unix.html

                      Bonus: he's a local Jersey guy!

                      --Dave Sica

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
                        I've tried getting him and Thompson many times. They always decline.

                        > What about inviting Dennis Ritchie?
                        >
                        > Story in the Star Ledger yesterday: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/01/nj_bell_labs_inventors_of_unix.html
                        >
                        > Bonus: he's a local Jersey guy!
                        >
                        > --Dave Sica
                      • Bill Degnan
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
                          Good idea. He's the one who helped develop the C programming language too,
                          or is that someone else?

                          Bill Degnan

                          > > I need ideas for people we can invite as keynoters to our next VCF
                          East.

                        • Bob Applegate
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
                            > Good idea. He's the one who helped develop the C programming language
                            > too,
                            > or is that someone else?

                            He's the R of K&R.
                          • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
                              "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

                              >Good idea. He's the one who helped develop the C programming language too,
                              >or is that someone else?

                              Careful, I wouldn't consider that to be a nobel accolade; it's more of a
                              misfortunate happenstance. ;)
                            • Justin Jernigan
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
                                While not "Nobel", I believe it was worthy of a Turing Award and a National Medal of Technology though.  Just sayin'

                                Sent from my iPhone

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 27, 2011
                                  On Thursday, January 27, 2011, Justin Jernigan <jaj@...> wrote:

                                  > While not "Nobel", I believe it was worthy of a Turing Award and a National Medal of Technology though.  Just sayin'

                                  ....at Bell Labs
                                  I think we should bribe him, I dunno, breakfast,lunch,dinner, call
                                  girl, annual museum membership
                                  I won't tell

                                  =Dan
                                  Bell Labs alum