Semi-OT: M-Systems iDOC Flash Modules Cheap

  • Systems Glitch
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 20, 2010
      I've got a pending order on around 100 M-Systems iDisk-on-Chip industrial Flash modules. These are 40-pin 64 MB modules with built-in wear leveling -- 2 million write minimum life. A portion come with power pigtails for use with regular Molex sockets (more than half, I'm told). They can also draw power from pin 20 of the IDE connector (usually key pin). I've been modifying my XT-IDE controllers to use pin 20 for power, since the CF -> IDE converters I use are set up for this. It's nice to be able to draw power from the IDE connector, especially with machines like the ISA PS/2 series, which don't have Molex plugs.

      I have a 16 MB M-Systems iDOC salvaged from an industrial computer, and in general I find them to be better replacements for hard drives in vintage machines as opposed to CF cards in IDE converters. None of my vintage machines fail to recognize the iDOC modules, whereas it's sort of hit-and-miss with CF.

      Anyway, I don't need 100, so I'll be selling the rest. It looks like they'll be around $5 each. They're small enough to ship in #00 bubble mailers, I believe. If you're interested, send me an e-mail and let me know!

      Thanks,
      Jonathan