Apple I - up for auction

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 12, 2010
      Maybe many of you already heard about this, but thought it was interesting: http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/innovation/11/12/apple.computer.auction/index.html?hpt=C2
    • telmnstr@757.org
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 12, 2010
        > Maybe many of you already heard about this, but thought it was
        > interesting:
        > http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/innovation/11/12/apple.computer.auction/index.html?hpt=C2

        Guess that one won't be joining my collection!
      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 12, 2010

          > > Maybe many of you already heard about this, but thought it was
          > > interesting:

          http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/innovation/11/12/apple.computer.auction/index.h
          tml?hpt=C2

          > Guess that one won't be joining my collection!

          Interesting that the 6502 has a silk screen date of late 1981. THat means
          that the chip was replaced because the system was still in use in 1981?
          That's assuming it was not an old 6502 lying around (replaced in '82-?.
          You'd think if you were selling something that rare that you'd replace the
          6502 with the original (which is not hard to find)

          Bill
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 12, 2010
            On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

            > > Maybe many of you already heard about this, but thought it was
            > > interesting:

            http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/innovation/11/12/apple.computer.auction/index.h
            tml?hpt=C2

            > Guess that one won't be joining my collection!

            Interesting that the 6502 has a silk screen date of late 1981.  THat means
            that the chip was replaced because the system was still in use in 1981?
            That's assuming it was not an old 6502 lying around (replaced in '82-?.
            You'd think if you were selling something that rare that you'd replace the
            6502 with the original (which is not hard to find)

            yep, so now it's worth only $10k, bogus parts ~haah
            Most likely it was repaired recently, since they were planning to auction this and picked out the next good part out of the bin -- from home or the supplier. Which reminds me, I have to check my parts bin for my oldest 6502 part.

            =Dan
          • telmnstr@757.org
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 12, 2010
              > Interesting that the 6502 has a silk screen date of late 1981. THat means
              > that the chip was replaced because the system was still in use in 1981?

              Wow! That's pretty lame. I mean, I collect systems cause I find them
              interesting. I'm not someone who wants something in the box, I prefer
              something I don't have to care about that much because I like to put the
              stuff out so others can mess with it. You know?

              I do have a Wozniak signed IIgs (really, by him, when he was in Virginia
              Beach) and that is one of my more prized old systems. The other one I take
              care of is an IMSAI I bought off of a local. But there are some young kids
              interested in assembly programming (On Alpha, PPC, MIPS, Intel and ARM)
              and I'm going to have to take the Imsai over to the hacker space to let
              them check it out.

              I need to find or build a case to transport it in, actually.
            • Mike
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 13, 2010
                That same collection of Apple 1 stuff sold for 50,000 in an ebay auction about a year ago. Condition or originality doesn't seem to make a huge difference when it comes to Apple 1 auctions. Seems like the other stuff that comes with the motherboard is actually more important. Most of the original Apple 1's have had parts replaced or rework done on the motherboard at one time or another. Only a very few are in operating condition. If you are going to replace the 6502 with a period part, you probably should find one with the exact correct date code, that is, if you can figure out what the correct date code would have been for that chip on that particular board.

                Regards,
                Mike Willegal