Dec Data Systems & ...? available for rescue

  • m
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 7, 2010
      I just uploaded two images to the photos section in a folder: rsdecdatasystems&? These are images of some equipment available in the Warminster, PA area. I don't have much information on what is available. They were items kept by the person's husband. I got the impression she removed something from the front so that you could see the wires. I assume that those covers are still available.

      Let me know if MARCH or anybody might be interested. (And feel free to discuss on-list if anybody knows what the stuff is..) I have not been on an in-person visit to see all that might be there.

      --
      MS
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 8, 2010
        "m" <msimonsmail@...> writes:

        >I just uploaded two images to the photos section in a folder: rsdecdatasyst=
        >ems&? These are images of some equipment available in the Warminster, PA a=
        >rea. I don't have much information on what is available. They were items =
        >kept by the person's husband. I got the impression she removed something f=
        >rom the front so that you could see the wires. I assume that those covers =
        >are still available.=20

        Can they also be posted somewhere where they are visible? Or, can the photo
        section of the Yahoo pages be opened for general public viewing?
      • David Gesswein
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 8, 2010
          > Let me know if MARCH or anybody might be interested.
          > (And feel free to discuss on-list if anybody knows what the stuff is..)

          The left rack looks like a TU56 DECtape drive with TC11 controller. I think
          MARCH was getting a donation of TU56 drives but I didn't hear of any
          controller. If we aren't getting a controller this would be good
          for MARCH if we want to set up a big PDP-11 system.

          The right rack I would guess 2 disk drives of some more modern version
          than I am familiar with. Who knows whats behind the blue panel.
        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 8, 2010
            David Gesswein <djg@...> writes:

            >The left rack looks like a TU56 DECtape drive with TC11 controller. I think
            >MARCH was getting a donation of TU56 drives but I didn't hear of any
            >controller. If we aren't getting a controller this would be good
            >for MARCH if we want to set up a big PDP-11 system.

            I have a rack chock full of TU56 (DECtape) units as well as spares.
            Boxes of spare parts (motor caps, tapes, boards, etc.); engineering
            drawings, specs, and manuals; and several quniverters. All of this
            came from DEComHPaq's own computer museum data center in Marlborough
            Mass. which was recently divested by HP.

            >The right rack I would guess 2 disk drives of some more modern version
            >than I am familiar with. Who knows whats behind the blue panel.

            Who knows, I can't see it.
          • David Gesswein
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 8, 2010
              > I have a rack chock full of TU56 (DECtape) units as well as spares.
              > Boxes of spare parts (motor caps, tapes, boards, etc.); engineering
              > drawings, specs, and manuals; and several quniverters. All of this
              > came from DEComHPaq's own computer museum data center in Marlborough
              > Mass. which was recently divested by HP.

              I didn't see a controller in the list so I assume that means one isn't
              part of that set of eqipment. I think a quniverter is a qbus to unibus
              bridge so doesn't directly talk to the drives.

              Spare motor caps may be important if they haven't gone bad also. I know
              several people including me who have had to replace the motor caps due to
              oozing from the vent.

              > >The right rack I would guess 2 disk drives of some more modern version
              > >than I am familiar with. Who knows whats behind the blue panel.
              >
              > Who knows, I can't see it.

              I assume if your on the list you had to have a yahoo ID at one point to
              sign up that should work to view the pictures. If you want to see them and
              can't get into yahoo site I probably can put a copy on my site this evening.
            • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 8, 2010
                David Gesswein <djg@...> writes:

                >I didn't see a controller in the list so I assume that means one isn't
                >part of that set of eqipment. I think a quniverter is a qbus to unibus
                >bridge so doesn't directly talk to the drives.
                >
                >Spare motor caps may be important if they haven't gone bad also. I know
                >several people including me who have had to replace the motor caps due to
                >oozing from the vent.

                This rack is rather complete considering its source.

                >I assume if your on the list you had to have a yahoo ID at one point to
                >sign up that should work to view the pictures. If you want to see them and
                >can't get into yahoo site I probably can put a copy on my site this evening.

                Signed up like a traditional mailing list.
              • David Gesswein
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 8, 2010
                  > Signed up like a traditional mailing list.

                  Didn't know that was possible.

                  Pictures

                  http://www.pdp8online.com/ftp/misc/2009-7-17-10114.jpg
                  http://www.pdp8online.com/ftp/misc/2009-7-17-10115.jpg
                • Bill Dromgoole
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 8, 2010
                    Looks like thick yellow ethernet cable on top of the cabinet in the first
                    picture.

                    billdrom
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 8, 2010
                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Dromgoole" <drummy@...> wrote:
                      > Looks like thick yellow ethernet cable on top of the cabinet in the first
                      > picture.

                      I'm assuming that those cables are just unused electrical wires which is what they look like to me. These things, as I understand it are in the garage or other storage of someone's home. I assume it's just miscellaneous junk piled on-top of the racks/equipment, and not necessarily related stuff. It's like a photo where someone is giving away the table, and not necessarily the stuff on the table, or in the background, in the image.

                      Anyways, the question still remains... does anybody here want this stuff? Or do you know another individual or organization not on this list who might, and would actually arrange to have it picked up and/or transported from PA?

                      (Or, should we [gasp] just repurpose it/scrap it?) [don't throw me off the list!! hehe. .] She's already written a number of organizations, which while they were excited/interested, it seemed as if they were too far to want to bother.

                      thanks
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 9, 2010
                        David Gesswein <djg@...> writes:

                        >Didn't know that was possible.

                        Yeap!

                        >Pictures
                        >
                        >http://www.pdp8online.com/ftp/misc/2009-7-17-10114.jpg
                        >http://www.pdp8online.com/ftp/misc/2009-7-17-10115.jpg

                        Thanks.
                      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 9, 2010
                          "Bill Dromgoole" <drummy@...> writes:

                          >Looks like thick yellow ethernet cable on top of the cabinet in the first
                          >picture.

                          If it is it's short and or cut. I don't see any black bands for vampire
                          tapping.
                        • David Gesswein
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 9, 2010
                            > Anyways, the question still remains... does anybody here want this stuff?
                            > Or do you know another individual or organization not on this list who
                            > might, and would actually arrange to have it picked up and/or transported
                            >from PA?

                            If MARCH is interested in it I can use the Suburban to haul it to Infoage.
                            Since you will be getting a bunch of TU56's I would like to get the
                            TU56 for my collection and possibly the rack its in. MARCH would get the
                            controller for your TU56's and the mystery rack of stuff.

                            I probably will need one volunteer to help with loading and unloading the
                            mystery rack since it may be heavy.

                            Any chance to have someone check whats behind the blue panel and get the
                            model number off the items in the rack so we know what it is?
                          • Bill Dromgoole
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 9, 2010
                              I can help load and unload depending on the date you want to get it.
                              I can bring a pickup truck.

                              Bill D

                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 9, 2010
                                > MARCH would get the ... mystery rack of stuff.

                                Just what we need! :)