Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: WTD-serial terminal

  • Richard Cini
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 7, 2010
      Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: WTD-serial terminal I was thinking like Jim Brain’s CBM->PS2 interface to use a real Commodore keyboard with the VICE emulator (running on a PC). It definitely is a small market for something like that but when replicating “look and feel” it would be handy to have.

      Rich

      On 11/7/10 8:47 AM, "Mike" <mike@...> wrote:

      Hi Richard,

      There are several issues with producing an encoded ASCII to PS2 keyboard interface converter, so I'd be surprised to see one made.

      1)  You may have a couple of encoded ASCII keyboards, but the keyboards are rather scarce, which limits the market.   Quite a few Apple-1 clone builders end up scrounging them from complete Apple II plus computers.
       2)  Sequences like control-alt-delete being held down on a PS/2 keyboard would be tricky to replicate, because a typical parallel ASCII keyboard interface doesn't present state information about a key being currently up or down.

      I have made a batch of adapter kits that go the other way, PS/2 keyboard to parallel ASCII, but that was done primarily because of 1) above.  I think Vince put a PS/2 interface on his replica-1 for the same reason.

      Regards,
      Mike Willegal

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com> , Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:

      > Ok, one more thought. Does anyone know of a reasonable parallel-to-PS/2
      > converter? I have an ASCII keyboard or two laying around and with the proper
      > encoding could be used with the PS/2 interface on the Pocketerm. I did some
      > searching and there are quite a few for MAME arcade build-outs (I have one),
      > but they use discrete switch inputs to ground and convert it to a keyboard
      > character.
      >
      > More Googling ahead...
      >

      > On 11/2/10 7:45 PM, "Richard Cini" <rich.cini@...> wrote:

      > >> It almost begs a nice wooden enclosure that would replace the Model M
      > >> keyboard case as well as provide a housing for the PCB and maybe a 14"
      > >> LCD. :)
      > >>

      > > Look at this: eBay item 150514710557. It’s a Heath H9 terminal. Not being a
      > > Heath guy, I didn’t know this existed. It’s about the right form factor,
      > > approximately, for a hacked together Pocketerm and 14” LCD monitor. The case
      > > could be wood and metal like the SOL or maybe something else. Hmmmm....
      > >

      > > Rich
      >
      > --
      > Rich Cini
      > Collector of Classic Computers
      > http://www.altair32.com
      > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers
      http://www.altair32.com
      http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 7, 2010

        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 7, 2010
          >>> I think Vince put a PS/2 interface on his replica-1 for the same reason

          Correct.