Re: [midatlanticretro] WTD-serial terminal

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 5, 2010
      > >He may have to assemble the unit himself, etc. I don't want to speak
      for
      > >Vince, he occasionally posts here.
      > >Bill Degnan
      >
      > Assemble it himself? You mean collect the parts?
      >
      > Well, I wish this would have all be expressed on his order site.

      I don't want to speak for Vince, I have no idea. He sells kits, he may
      have a local outfit that assembles for him, he may have a staff that does
      that work. He is a professional and will deliver. He is very hightly
      respected in our hobby for a reason.

      Bill
    • Richard Cini
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 7, 2010
        Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: WTD-serial terminal I was thinking like Jim Brain’s CBM->PS2 interface to use a real Commodore keyboard with the VICE emulator (running on a PC). It definitely is a small market for something like that but when replicating “look and feel” it would be handy to have.

        Rich

        On 11/7/10 8:47 AM, "Mike" <mike@...> wrote:

        Hi Richard,

        There are several issues with producing an encoded ASCII to PS2 keyboard interface converter, so I'd be surprised to see one made.

        1)  You may have a couple of encoded ASCII keyboards, but the keyboards are rather scarce, which limits the market.   Quite a few Apple-1 clone builders end up scrounging them from complete Apple II plus computers.
         2)  Sequences like control-alt-delete being held down on a PS/2 keyboard would be tricky to replicate, because a typical parallel ASCII keyboard interface doesn't present state information about a key being currently up or down.

        I have made a batch of adapter kits that go the other way, PS/2 keyboard to parallel ASCII, but that was done primarily because of 1) above.  I think Vince put a PS/2 interface on his replica-1 for the same reason.

        Regards,
        Mike Willegal

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com> , Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:

        > Ok, one more thought. Does anyone know of a reasonable parallel-to-PS/2
        > converter? I have an ASCII keyboard or two laying around and with the proper
        > encoding could be used with the PS/2 interface on the Pocketerm. I did some
        > searching and there are quite a few for MAME arcade build-outs (I have one),
        > but they use discrete switch inputs to ground and convert it to a keyboard
        > character.
        >
        > More Googling ahead...
        >

        > On 11/2/10 7:45 PM, "Richard Cini" <rich.cini@...> wrote:

        > >> It almost begs a nice wooden enclosure that would replace the Model M
        > >> keyboard case as well as provide a housing for the PCB and maybe a 14"
        > >> LCD. :)
        > >>

        > > Look at this: eBay item 150514710557. It’s a Heath H9 terminal. Not being a
        > > Heath guy, I didn’t know this existed. It’s about the right form factor,
        > > approximately, for a hacked together Pocketerm and 14” LCD monitor. The case
        > > could be wood and metal like the SOL or maybe something else. Hmmmm....
        > >

        > > Rich
        >
        > --
        > Rich Cini
        > Collector of Classic Computers
        > http://www.altair32.com
        > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini

        Rich

        --
        Rich Cini
        Collector of Classic Computers
        http://www.altair32.com
        http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 7, 2010

          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 7, 2010
            >>> I think Vince put a PS/2 interface on his replica-1 for the same reason

            Correct.