RE: [midatlanticretro] WTD-serial terminal

  • Bill Loguidice
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010

      I can vouch for the Altair 8800micro. It’s very well done and in fact is based off of the PockeTerm. It’s a very approachable way to get into switch-based computing without all the expense and effort typically associated with it.

      Bill Loguidice, Managing Director
      Armchair Arcade, Inc.
      http://www.armchairarcade.com
      Authored Books: http://www.armchairarcade.com/books
      Film: http://www.armchairarcade.com/film
      LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/billloguidice

      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
        Re: [midatlanticretro] WTD-serial terminal On 11/2/10 8:17 AM, "Gene Buckle" <geneb@...> wrote:
            On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Richard Cini wrote:

        > Gene --
        >
        >    Actually I looked into it after I saw this email. It’s a great item but
        > unless “packaged” correctly, it looses something in the look and feel area.
        > I guess with the right keyboard (like an IBM “clicky” keyboard) and a custom
        > case (like the MAME arcade kind of thing, but desktop), it could result in a
        > good reproduction. The second serial port is a bonus, as you can use that
        > (hopefully) as a paper tape input.

        It almost begs a nice wooden enclosure that would replace the Model M
        keyboard case as well as provide a housing for the PCB and maybe a 14"
        LCD. :)

        Look at this: eBay item 150514710557. It’s a Heath H9 terminal. Not being a Heath guy, I didn’t know this existed. It’s about the right form factor, approximately, for a hacked together Pocketerm and 14” LCD monitor. The case could be wood and metal like the SOL or maybe something else. Hmmmm....

        Rich

        --
        Rich Cini
        Collector of Classic Computers
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
          Re: [midatlanticretro] WTD-serial terminal Ok, one more thought. Does anyone know of a reasonable parallel-to-PS/2 converter? I have an ASCII keyboard or two laying around and with the proper encoding could be used with the PS/2 interface on the Pocketerm. I did some searching and there are quite a few for MAME arcade build-outs (I have one), but they use discrete switch inputs to ground and convert it to a keyboard character.

          More Googling ahead...

          On 11/2/10 7:45 PM, "Richard Cini" <rich.cini@...> wrote:

          On 11/2/10 8:17 AM, "Gene Buckle" <geneb@...> wrote:
              On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Richard Cini wrote:

          > Gene --
          >
          >    Actually I looked into it after I saw this email. It’s a great item but
          > unless “packaged” correctly, it looses something in the look and feel area.
          > I guess with the right keyboard (like an IBM “clicky” keyboard) and a custom
          > case (like the MAME arcade kind of thing, but desktop), it could result in a
          > good reproduction. The second serial port is a bonus, as you can use that
          > (hopefully) as a paper tape input.

          It almost begs a nice wooden enclosure that would replace the Model M
          keyboard case as well as provide a housing for the PCB and maybe a 14"
          LCD. :)

          Look at this: eBay item 150514710557. It’s a Heath H9 terminal. Not being a Heath guy, I didn’t know this existed. It’s about the right form factor, approximately, for a hacked together Pocketerm and 14” LCD monitor. The case could be wood and metal like the SOL or maybe something else. Hmmmm....

          Rich

          --
          Rich Cini
          Collector of Classic Computers
          http://www.altair32.com
          http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
        • Christian Liendo
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010

            http://cgi.ebay.com/Micro-KIM-1-Commodore-KIT-Computer-/200538607380

            This guy also has a ton of Commodore Vic-20 stuff.

          • Systems Glitch
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
              On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 18:03:14 -0700 (PDT)
              Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

              > http://cgi.ebay.com/Micro-KIM-1-Commodore-KIT-Computer-/200538607380
              >
              > This guy also has a ton of Commodore Vic-20 stuff.

              Huh, I might actually bid on that...I had, at one point, six KIM-1s, but ended up selling them to pay bills while I was between jobs. I'd intended to buy one of the Briel KIM-1 kits after having sold the others, since they're a pretty handy 6502 development resource (hint: I may be developing a bus-oriented hobbyist computer soon...and in addition to an 8085 processor board, there /may/ be a 6502 processor board to go with it...).

              Thanks,
              Jonathan
            • mejeep_ferret
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 3, 2010
                I have the MARCH Wyse-50 terminal's keyboard here at home,
                repairing a frayed cord and broken arrow-key.
                It will then join the terminal in the big storage area.

                -- jeff3ry jonas

                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:
                > Ok, one more thought.
                > Does anyone know of a reasonable
                > parallel-to-PS/2 converter?

                If my PIC-18 workbench were up to speed, that would be an afternoon project :-/

                > I have an ASCII keyboard or two laying around
                > and with the proper encoding could be used with the
                > PS/2 interface on the Pocketerm.

                I too have several ASCII keyboards, some with enough space in the enclosure for the terminal and possibly the power supply!
                I agree, they're good for that retro look-and-feel.
              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 5, 2010
                  Monday, because of this thread, I purchased the PockeTerm kit. It
                  is now Friday and it has not arrived. Any email sent to Vince has
                  not been answered.

                  I'm figuring that BrielComputers is probably just Vince. Is he OK?
                  Perhaps, traveling? Does anyone here know?
                • Bill Degnan
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 5, 2010
                    He's just one guy (with maybe one or two assistants) and he is not set up
                    for speedy operations. He is in the process of moving to Califormia. I am
                    sure you'll get your terminal, but I would "allow for 6-8 weeks
                    processing", and then be happily surprised to get the package next week.
                    He may have to assemble the unit himself, etc. I don't want to speak for
                    Vince, he occasionally posts here.
                    Bill Degnan

                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 5, 2010
                      "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

                      >He's just one guy (with maybe one or two assistants) and he is not set up
                      >for speedy operations. He is in the process of moving to Califormia. I am
                      >sure you'll get your terminal, but I would "allow for 6-8 weeks
                      >processing", and then be happily surprised to get the package next week.
                      >He may have to assemble the unit himself, etc. I don't want to speak for
                      >Vince, he occasionally posts here.
                      >Bill Degnan

                      Assemble it himself? You mean collect the parts?

                      Well, I wish this would have all be expressed on his order site.
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 5, 2010
                        >>> Well, I wish this would have all be expressed on his order site.

                        I see your point. But just so you know, MARCH can 100% vouch for Vince. He's a great guy, his products are top-notch, and he's been a loyal supporter of our VCF East. (I've personally known him and had his Replica 1 kit since before MARCH even formed in 2004.)
                      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 5, 2010
                          "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

                          >I see your point. But just so you know, MARCH can 100% vouch for Vince.
                          >He's a great guy, his products are top-notch, and he's been a loyal
                          >supporter of our VCF East.

                          I didn't say anything about him. I was just wondering when I might be
                          seeing this kit. 6-8 weeks from Ohio is a crawl across PA. And here I
                          thought I'd have a free weekend and something to do with it.
                        • Bill Degnan
                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 5, 2010
                            > >He may have to assemble the unit himself, etc. I don't want to speak
                            for
                            > >Vince, he occasionally posts here.
                            > >Bill Degnan
                            >
                            > Assemble it himself? You mean collect the parts?
                            >
                            > Well, I wish this would have all be expressed on his order site.

                            I don't want to speak for Vince, I have no idea. He sells kits, he may
                            have a local outfit that assembles for him, he may have a staff that does
                            that work. He is a professional and will deliver. He is very hightly
                            respected in our hobby for a reason.

                            Bill
                          • Richard Cini
                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 7, 2010
                              Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: WTD-serial terminal I was thinking like Jim Brain’s CBM->PS2 interface to use a real Commodore keyboard with the VICE emulator (running on a PC). It definitely is a small market for something like that but when replicating “look and feel” it would be handy to have.

                              Rich

                              On 11/7/10 8:47 AM, "Mike" <mike@...> wrote:

                              Hi Richard,

                              There are several issues with producing an encoded ASCII to PS2 keyboard interface converter, so I'd be surprised to see one made.

                              1)  You may have a couple of encoded ASCII keyboards, but the keyboards are rather scarce, which limits the market.   Quite a few Apple-1 clone builders end up scrounging them from complete Apple II plus computers.
                               2)  Sequences like control-alt-delete being held down on a PS/2 keyboard would be tricky to replicate, because a typical parallel ASCII keyboard interface doesn't present state information about a key being currently up or down.

                              I have made a batch of adapter kits that go the other way, PS/2 keyboard to parallel ASCII, but that was done primarily because of 1) above.  I think Vince put a PS/2 interface on his replica-1 for the same reason.

                              Regards,
                              Mike Willegal

                              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com> , Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:

                              > Ok, one more thought. Does anyone know of a reasonable parallel-to-PS/2
                              > converter? I have an ASCII keyboard or two laying around and with the proper
                              > encoding could be used with the PS/2 interface on the Pocketerm. I did some
                              > searching and there are quite a few for MAME arcade build-outs (I have one),
                              > but they use discrete switch inputs to ground and convert it to a keyboard
                              > character.
                              >
                              > More Googling ahead...
                              >

                              > On 11/2/10 7:45 PM, "Richard Cini" <rich.cini@...> wrote:

                              > >> It almost begs a nice wooden enclosure that would replace the Model M
                              > >> keyboard case as well as provide a housing for the PCB and maybe a 14"
                              > >> LCD. :)
                              > >>

                              > > Look at this: eBay item 150514710557. It’s a Heath H9 terminal. Not being a
                              > > Heath guy, I didn’t know this existed. It’s about the right form factor,
                              > > approximately, for a hacked together Pocketerm and 14” LCD monitor. The case
                              > > could be wood and metal like the SOL or maybe something else. Hmmmm....
                              > >

                              > > Rich
                              >
                              > --
                              > Rich Cini
                              > Collector of Classic Computers
                              > http://www.altair32.com
                              > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini

                              Rich

                              --
                              Rich Cini
                              Collector of Classic Computers
                              http://www.altair32.com
                              http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
                            • Mike
                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 7, 2010

                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 7, 2010
                                  >>> I think Vince put a PS/2 interface on his replica-1 for the same reason

                                  Correct.