Re: [midatlanticretro] WTD-serial terminal

  • Richard Cini
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 1, 2010
      Re: [midatlanticretro] WTD-serial terminal Gene --

          Actually I looked into it after I saw this email. It’s a great item but unless “packaged” correctly, it looses something in the look and feel area. I guess with the right keyboard (like an IBM “clicky” keyboard) and a custom case (like the MAME arcade kind of thing, but desktop), it could result in a good reproduction. The second serial port is a bonus, as you can use that (hopefully) as a paper tape input.

          I’d be interested in seeing how true the VT100 emulation is.

          The cost is right, though -- $60 — which makes it a no-brainer.

      Rich

      On 11/1/10 9:56 AM, "Gene Buckle" <geneb@...> wrote:
      On Sun, 31 Oct 2010, Richard Cini wrote:

      > All --
      >
      >    I just watched GET LAMP and it inspired me to start playing some of the
      > Infocom games on my IMSAI. What I never got for my IMSAI, though, is a real
      > serial terminal. I feel that playing these kind of games on a Windows laptop
      > is soooo unauthentic.
      >
      >    Anyway, if someone has a spare vintage serial terminal that they’d like
      > to part with, please keep me in mind.

      Rich, have you thought about using one of Vince Briel's serial terminal
      boards?  From what I've read it's a pretty accurate emulation of a VT-100.

      g.

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 1, 2010
        Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> writes:

        > I=B9d be interested in seeing how true the VT100 emulation is.
        >
        > The cost is right, though -- $60 =8B which makes it a no-brainer.

        I purchased one and then I looked at some of the firmware source files.

        FWIW, the links on the Briel site are bad. It shows the proper URL but
        the actual link is wrong; so, if you want the documentation PDFs or the
        ZIPped firmware, copy the link text shown and paste it in your browser's
        URL window.

        The firmware shows that is only supports a handful of VT100 escapes. I
        would even consider this a contender for a wanna-be VT100 emulation. I
        done much work in VMS terminal driver, so I am rather intimate with all
        of the VT escapes. I may try to augment this once I get mine _IF_ I can
        find a way to program it that doesn't require WEENDOZE.
      • Gene Buckle
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
          On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Richard Cini wrote:

          > Gene --
          >
          > Actually I looked into it after I saw this email. It¹s a great item but
          > unless ³packaged² correctly, it looses something in the look and feel area.
          > I guess with the right keyboard (like an IBM ³clicky² keyboard) and a custom
          > case (like the MAME arcade kind of thing, but desktop), it could result in a
          > good reproduction. The second serial port is a bonus, as you can use that
          > (hopefully) as a paper tape input.

          It almost begs a nice wooden enclosure that would replace the Model M
          keyboard case as well as provide a housing for the PCB and maybe a 14"
          LCD. :)

          > I¹d be interested in seeing how true the VT100 emulation is.
          >
          > The cost is right, though -- $60 ? which makes it a no-brainer.

          I'm lusting after the Mini-Altair kit myself. :)

          g.

          --
          Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

          by the clean end.
        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
            I don't have my PockeTerm kit here yet. However, with the talk about
            this, I setup a captive account which will run the V1 VTTEST suite if
            you want to test your emulators for VT100 compatibility.

            TELNET to "great-escape.tmesis.com" and enter the username: VTTEST

            No password. You'll be dumped into the VTTEST suite. From there, I
            hope it is all fairly self explanatory.
          • Bill Loguidice
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010

              I can vouch for the Altair 8800micro. It’s very well done and in fact is based off of the PockeTerm. It’s a very approachable way to get into switch-based computing without all the expense and effort typically associated with it.

              Bill Loguidice, Managing Director
              Armchair Arcade, Inc.
              http://www.armchairarcade.com
              Authored Books: http://www.armchairarcade.com/books
              Film: http://www.armchairarcade.com/film
              LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/billloguidice

              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
                Re: [midatlanticretro] WTD-serial terminal On 11/2/10 8:17 AM, "Gene Buckle" <geneb@...> wrote:
                    On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Richard Cini wrote:

                > Gene --
                >
                >    Actually I looked into it after I saw this email. It’s a great item but
                > unless “packaged” correctly, it looses something in the look and feel area.
                > I guess with the right keyboard (like an IBM “clicky” keyboard) and a custom
                > case (like the MAME arcade kind of thing, but desktop), it could result in a
                > good reproduction. The second serial port is a bonus, as you can use that
                > (hopefully) as a paper tape input.

                It almost begs a nice wooden enclosure that would replace the Model M
                keyboard case as well as provide a housing for the PCB and maybe a 14"
                LCD. :)

                Look at this: eBay item 150514710557. It’s a Heath H9 terminal. Not being a Heath guy, I didn’t know this existed. It’s about the right form factor, approximately, for a hacked together Pocketerm and 14” LCD monitor. The case could be wood and metal like the SOL or maybe something else. Hmmmm....

                Rich

                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
                  Re: [midatlanticretro] WTD-serial terminal Ok, one more thought. Does anyone know of a reasonable parallel-to-PS/2 converter? I have an ASCII keyboard or two laying around and with the proper encoding could be used with the PS/2 interface on the Pocketerm. I did some searching and there are quite a few for MAME arcade build-outs (I have one), but they use discrete switch inputs to ground and convert it to a keyboard character.

                  More Googling ahead...

                  On 11/2/10 7:45 PM, "Richard Cini" <rich.cini@...> wrote:

                  On 11/2/10 8:17 AM, "Gene Buckle" <geneb@...> wrote:
                      On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Richard Cini wrote:

                  > Gene --
                  >
                  >    Actually I looked into it after I saw this email. It’s a great item but
                  > unless “packaged” correctly, it looses something in the look and feel area.
                  > I guess with the right keyboard (like an IBM “clicky” keyboard) and a custom
                  > case (like the MAME arcade kind of thing, but desktop), it could result in a
                  > good reproduction. The second serial port is a bonus, as you can use that
                  > (hopefully) as a paper tape input.

                  It almost begs a nice wooden enclosure that would replace the Model M
                  keyboard case as well as provide a housing for the PCB and maybe a 14"
                  LCD. :)

                  Look at this: eBay item 150514710557. It’s a Heath H9 terminal. Not being a Heath guy, I didn’t know this existed. It’s about the right form factor, approximately, for a hacked together Pocketerm and 14” LCD monitor. The case could be wood and metal like the SOL or maybe something else. Hmmmm....

                  Rich

                  --
                  Rich Cini
                  Collector of Classic Computers
                  http://www.altair32.com
                  http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
                • Christian Liendo
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010

                    http://cgi.ebay.com/Micro-KIM-1-Commodore-KIT-Computer-/200538607380

                    This guy also has a ton of Commodore Vic-20 stuff.

                  • Systems Glitch
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
                      On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 18:03:14 -0700 (PDT)
                      Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

                      > http://cgi.ebay.com/Micro-KIM-1-Commodore-KIT-Computer-/200538607380
                      >
                      > This guy also has a ton of Commodore Vic-20 stuff.

                      Huh, I might actually bid on that...I had, at one point, six KIM-1s, but ended up selling them to pay bills while I was between jobs. I'd intended to buy one of the Briel KIM-1 kits after having sold the others, since they're a pretty handy 6502 development resource (hint: I may be developing a bus-oriented hobbyist computer soon...and in addition to an 8085 processor board, there /may/ be a 6502 processor board to go with it...).

                      Thanks,
                      Jonathan
                    • mejeep_ferret
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 3, 2010
                        I have the MARCH Wyse-50 terminal's keyboard here at home,
                        repairing a frayed cord and broken arrow-key.
                        It will then join the terminal in the big storage area.

                        -- jeff3ry jonas

                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:
                        > Ok, one more thought.
                        > Does anyone know of a reasonable
                        > parallel-to-PS/2 converter?

                        If my PIC-18 workbench were up to speed, that would be an afternoon project :-/

                        > I have an ASCII keyboard or two laying around
                        > and with the proper encoding could be used with the
                        > PS/2 interface on the Pocketerm.

                        I too have several ASCII keyboards, some with enough space in the enclosure for the terminal and possibly the power supply!
                        I agree, they're good for that retro look-and-feel.
                      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 5, 2010
                          Monday, because of this thread, I purchased the PockeTerm kit. It
                          is now Friday and it has not arrived. Any email sent to Vince has
                          not been answered.

                          I'm figuring that BrielComputers is probably just Vince. Is he OK?
                          Perhaps, traveling? Does anyone here know?
                        • Bill Degnan
                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 5, 2010
                            He's just one guy (with maybe one or two assistants) and he is not set up
                            for speedy operations. He is in the process of moving to Califormia. I am
                            sure you'll get your terminal, but I would "allow for 6-8 weeks
                            processing", and then be happily surprised to get the package next week.
                            He may have to assemble the unit himself, etc. I don't want to speak for
                            Vince, he occasionally posts here.
                            Bill Degnan

                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 5, 2010
                              "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

                              >He's just one guy (with maybe one or two assistants) and he is not set up
                              >for speedy operations. He is in the process of moving to Califormia. I am
                              >sure you'll get your terminal, but I would "allow for 6-8 weeks
                              >processing", and then be happily surprised to get the package next week.
                              >He may have to assemble the unit himself, etc. I don't want to speak for
                              >Vince, he occasionally posts here.
                              >Bill Degnan

                              Assemble it himself? You mean collect the parts?

                              Well, I wish this would have all be expressed on his order site.
                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 5, 2010
                                >>> Well, I wish this would have all be expressed on his order site.

                                I see your point. But just so you know, MARCH can 100% vouch for Vince. He's a great guy, his products are top-notch, and he's been a loyal supporter of our VCF East. (I've personally known him and had his Replica 1 kit since before MARCH even formed in 2004.)
                              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 5, 2010
                                  "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

                                  >I see your point. But just so you know, MARCH can 100% vouch for Vince.
                                  >He's a great guy, his products are top-notch, and he's been a loyal
                                  >supporter of our VCF East.

                                  I didn't say anything about him. I was just wondering when I might be
                                  seeing this kit. 6-8 weeks from Ohio is a crawl across PA. And here I
                                  thought I'd have a free weekend and something to do with it.
                                • Bill Degnan
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 5, 2010
                                    > >He may have to assemble the unit himself, etc. I don't want to speak
                                    for
                                    > >Vince, he occasionally posts here.
                                    > >Bill Degnan
                                    >
                                    > Assemble it himself? You mean collect the parts?
                                    >
                                    > Well, I wish this would have all be expressed on his order site.

                                    I don't want to speak for Vince, I have no idea. He sells kits, he may
                                    have a local outfit that assembles for him, he may have a staff that does
                                    that work. He is a professional and will deliver. He is very hightly
                                    respected in our hobby for a reason.

                                    Bill
                                  • Richard Cini
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 7, 2010
                                      Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: WTD-serial terminal I was thinking like Jim Brain’s CBM->PS2 interface to use a real Commodore keyboard with the VICE emulator (running on a PC). It definitely is a small market for something like that but when replicating “look and feel” it would be handy to have.

                                      Rich

                                      On 11/7/10 8:47 AM, "Mike" <mike@...> wrote:

                                      Hi Richard,

                                      There are several issues with producing an encoded ASCII to PS2 keyboard interface converter, so I'd be surprised to see one made.

                                      1)  You may have a couple of encoded ASCII keyboards, but the keyboards are rather scarce, which limits the market.   Quite a few Apple-1 clone builders end up scrounging them from complete Apple II plus computers.
                                       2)  Sequences like control-alt-delete being held down on a PS/2 keyboard would be tricky to replicate, because a typical parallel ASCII keyboard interface doesn't present state information about a key being currently up or down.

                                      I have made a batch of adapter kits that go the other way, PS/2 keyboard to parallel ASCII, but that was done primarily because of 1) above.  I think Vince put a PS/2 interface on his replica-1 for the same reason.

                                      Regards,
                                      Mike Willegal

                                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com> , Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:

                                      > Ok, one more thought. Does anyone know of a reasonable parallel-to-PS/2
                                      > converter? I have an ASCII keyboard or two laying around and with the proper
                                      > encoding could be used with the PS/2 interface on the Pocketerm. I did some
                                      > searching and there are quite a few for MAME arcade build-outs (I have one),
                                      > but they use discrete switch inputs to ground and convert it to a keyboard
                                      > character.
                                      >
                                      > More Googling ahead...
                                      >

                                      > On 11/2/10 7:45 PM, "Richard Cini" <rich.cini@...> wrote:

                                      > >> It almost begs a nice wooden enclosure that would replace the Model M
                                      > >> keyboard case as well as provide a housing for the PCB and maybe a 14"
                                      > >> LCD. :)
                                      > >>

                                      > > Look at this: eBay item 150514710557. It’s a Heath H9 terminal. Not being a
                                      > > Heath guy, I didn’t know this existed. It’s about the right form factor,
                                      > > approximately, for a hacked together Pocketerm and 14” LCD monitor. The case
                                      > > could be wood and metal like the SOL or maybe something else. Hmmmm....
                                      > >

                                      > > Rich
                                      >
                                      > --
                                      > Rich Cini
                                      > Collector of Classic Computers
                                      > http://www.altair32.com
                                      > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini

                                      Rich

                                      --
                                      Rich Cini
                                      Collector of Classic Computers
                                      http://www.altair32.com
                                      http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
                                    • Mike
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 7, 2010

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 7, 2010
                                          >>> I think Vince put a PS/2 interface on his replica-1 for the same reason

                                          Correct.