Re: [midatlanticretro] WTD-serial terminal

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 1, 2010
      Hi Rich:

      I think I donated my old Wyse terminal to MARCH... so it may be in
      the "storage" area. It was (IIRC) a green screen CRT unit.

      73 de Ray

      On Oct 31, 2010, at 9:34 PM, Richard Cini wrote:

      > All --
      >
      > I just watched GET LAMP and it inspired me to start playing
      > some of the Infocom games on my IMSAI. What I never got for my
      > IMSAI, though, is a real serial terminal. I feel that playing these
      > kind of games on a Windows laptop is soooo unauthentic.
      >
      > Anyway, if someone has a spare vintage serial terminal that
      > they’d like to part with, please keep me in mind.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Rich
      >
      > --
      > Rich Cini
      > Collector of Classic Computers
      > http://www.altair32.com
      > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini

    • Mr Ian Primus
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 1, 2010
        --- On Sun, 10/31/10, Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:

        > Anyway, if someone has a spare vintage serial terminal that they’d
        > like to part with, please keep me in mind.

        Are you going to be coming to the holiday party? I think have some extra VT420's around here somewhere...

        -Ian
      • Gene Buckle
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 1, 2010
          On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, system@... wrote:

          > Gene Buckle <geneb@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Rich, have you thought about using one of Vince Briel's serial terminal
          >> boards? From what I've read it's a pretty accurate emulation of a VT-100.
          >
          > Has anyone run it against "VTTEST" to prove that accuracy claim? If not,
          > I'd give anybody with one of these access to one of my systems to run the
          > VTTEST suite.

          I don't know, but I'd love to hear the results of the test.

          g.

          --
          Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

          by the clean end.
        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 1, 2010

            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 1, 2010
              Gene Buckle <geneb@...> writes:

              >On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, system@... wrote:
              >
              >> Gene Buckle <geneb@...> wrote:
              >>
              >>> Rich, have you thought about using one of Vince Briel's serial terminal
              >>> boards? From what I've read it's a pretty accurate emulation of a VT-100.
              >>
              >> Has anyone run it against "VTTEST" to prove that accuracy claim? If not,
              >> I'd give anybody with one of these access to one of my systems to run the
              >> VTTEST suite.
              >>
              >I don't know, but I'd love to hear the results of the test.

              OK. For $60/kit, I just ordered one. When it arrives and I've gotten it
              all assembled, I'll check it out. The first thing that needs to go it the
              PeeCee kbd. I have an LK450 which, if this is to be a VT compatible, will
              have to be made to work with this.

              Can the unit be "reprogrammed?"
            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 1, 2010
                Herb Johnson may still have a lot of terminals for sale, ADM 3's. I am
                hoping to get another one from him when he has the chance. Maybe we can
                bug him to prepare 2, one for you and one for me.

                Bill Degnan

                > >> Rich, have you thought about using one of Vince Briel's serial
                terminal
                > >> boards? From what I've read it's a pretty accurate emulation of a
                VT-100.

                > > Has anyone run it against "VTTEST" to prove that accuracy claim? If
                not,
                > > I'd give anybody with one of these access to one of my systems to run
                the
                > > VTTEST suite.
                > >
                > I don't know, but I'd love to hear the results of the test.
                >
                > g.
                >
                > --
                > Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
                > http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.
                > http://www.simpits.org/geneb - The Me-109F/X Project
                >
                > ScarletDME - The red hot Data Management Environment
                > A Multi-Value database for the masses, not the classes.
                > http://www.scarletdme.org - Get it _today_!
                >
                > Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
                > minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
                which
                > holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a
                turd
                > by the clean end.

              • Richard Cini
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 1, 2010
                  Re: [midatlanticretro] WTD-serial terminal Gene --

                      Actually I looked into it after I saw this email. It’s a great item but unless “packaged” correctly, it looses something in the look and feel area. I guess with the right keyboard (like an IBM “clicky” keyboard) and a custom case (like the MAME arcade kind of thing, but desktop), it could result in a good reproduction. The second serial port is a bonus, as you can use that (hopefully) as a paper tape input.

                      I’d be interested in seeing how true the VT100 emulation is.

                      The cost is right, though -- $60 — which makes it a no-brainer.

                  Rich

                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 1, 2010
                    Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> writes:

                    > I=B9d be interested in seeing how true the VT100 emulation is.
                    >
                    > The cost is right, though -- $60 =8B which makes it a no-brainer.

                    I purchased one and then I looked at some of the firmware source files.

                    FWIW, the links on the Briel site are bad. It shows the proper URL but
                    the actual link is wrong; so, if you want the documentation PDFs or the
                    ZIPped firmware, copy the link text shown and paste it in your browser's
                    URL window.

                    The firmware shows that is only supports a handful of VT100 escapes. I
                    would even consider this a contender for a wanna-be VT100 emulation. I
                    done much work in VMS terminal driver, so I am rather intimate with all
                    of the VT escapes. I may try to augment this once I get mine _IF_ I can
                    find a way to program it that doesn't require WEENDOZE.
                  • Gene Buckle
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
                      On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Richard Cini wrote:

                      > Gene --
                      >
                      > Actually I looked into it after I saw this email. It¹s a great item but
                      > unless ³packaged² correctly, it looses something in the look and feel area.
                      > I guess with the right keyboard (like an IBM ³clicky² keyboard) and a custom
                      > case (like the MAME arcade kind of thing, but desktop), it could result in a
                      > good reproduction. The second serial port is a bonus, as you can use that
                      > (hopefully) as a paper tape input.

                      It almost begs a nice wooden enclosure that would replace the Model M
                      keyboard case as well as provide a housing for the PCB and maybe a 14"
                      LCD. :)

                      > I¹d be interested in seeing how true the VT100 emulation is.
                      >
                      > The cost is right, though -- $60 ? which makes it a no-brainer.

                      I'm lusting after the Mini-Altair kit myself. :)

                      g.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
                        I don't have my PockeTerm kit here yet. However, with the talk about
                        this, I setup a captive account which will run the V1 VTTEST suite if
                        you want to test your emulators for VT100 compatibility.

                        TELNET to "great-escape.tmesis.com" and enter the username: VTTEST

                        No password. You'll be dumped into the VTTEST suite. From there, I
                        hope it is all fairly self explanatory.
                      • Bill Loguidice
                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010

                          I can vouch for the Altair 8800micro. It’s very well done and in fact is based off of the PockeTerm. It’s a very approachable way to get into switch-based computing without all the expense and effort typically associated with it.

                          Bill Loguidice, Managing Director
                          Armchair Arcade, Inc.
                          http://www.armchairarcade.com
                          Authored Books: http://www.armchairarcade.com/books
                          Film: http://www.armchairarcade.com/film
                          LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/billloguidice

                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
                            Re: [midatlanticretro] WTD-serial terminal On 11/2/10 8:17 AM, "Gene Buckle" <geneb@...> wrote:
                                On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Richard Cini wrote:

                            > Gene --
                            >
                            >    Actually I looked into it after I saw this email. It’s a great item but
                            > unless “packaged” correctly, it looses something in the look and feel area.
                            > I guess with the right keyboard (like an IBM “clicky” keyboard) and a custom
                            > case (like the MAME arcade kind of thing, but desktop), it could result in a
                            > good reproduction. The second serial port is a bonus, as you can use that
                            > (hopefully) as a paper tape input.

                            It almost begs a nice wooden enclosure that would replace the Model M
                            keyboard case as well as provide a housing for the PCB and maybe a 14"
                            LCD. :)

                            Look at this: eBay item 150514710557. It’s a Heath H9 terminal. Not being a Heath guy, I didn’t know this existed. It’s about the right form factor, approximately, for a hacked together Pocketerm and 14” LCD monitor. The case could be wood and metal like the SOL or maybe something else. Hmmmm....

                            Rich

                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
                              Re: [midatlanticretro] WTD-serial terminal Ok, one more thought. Does anyone know of a reasonable parallel-to-PS/2 converter? I have an ASCII keyboard or two laying around and with the proper encoding could be used with the PS/2 interface on the Pocketerm. I did some searching and there are quite a few for MAME arcade build-outs (I have one), but they use discrete switch inputs to ground and convert it to a keyboard character.

                              More Googling ahead...

                              On 11/2/10 7:45 PM, "Richard Cini" <rich.cini@...> wrote:

                              On 11/2/10 8:17 AM, "Gene Buckle" <geneb@...> wrote:
                                  On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Richard Cini wrote:

                              > Gene --
                              >
                              >    Actually I looked into it after I saw this email. It’s a great item but
                              > unless “packaged” correctly, it looses something in the look and feel area.
                              > I guess with the right keyboard (like an IBM “clicky” keyboard) and a custom
                              > case (like the MAME arcade kind of thing, but desktop), it could result in a
                              > good reproduction. The second serial port is a bonus, as you can use that
                              > (hopefully) as a paper tape input.

                              It almost begs a nice wooden enclosure that would replace the Model M
                              keyboard case as well as provide a housing for the PCB and maybe a 14"
                              LCD. :)

                              Look at this: eBay item 150514710557. It’s a Heath H9 terminal. Not being a Heath guy, I didn’t know this existed. It’s about the right form factor, approximately, for a hacked together Pocketerm and 14” LCD monitor. The case could be wood and metal like the SOL or maybe something else. Hmmmm....

                              Rich

                              --
                              Rich Cini
                              Collector of Classic Computers
                              http://www.altair32.com
                              http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
                            • Christian Liendo
                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010

                                http://cgi.ebay.com/Micro-KIM-1-Commodore-KIT-Computer-/200538607380

                                This guy also has a ton of Commodore Vic-20 stuff.

                              • Systems Glitch
                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 2, 2010
                                  On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 18:03:14 -0700 (PDT)
                                  Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

                                  > http://cgi.ebay.com/Micro-KIM-1-Commodore-KIT-Computer-/200538607380
                                  >
                                  > This guy also has a ton of Commodore Vic-20 stuff.

                                  Huh, I might actually bid on that...I had, at one point, six KIM-1s, but ended up selling them to pay bills while I was between jobs. I'd intended to buy one of the Briel KIM-1 kits after having sold the others, since they're a pretty handy 6502 development resource (hint: I may be developing a bus-oriented hobbyist computer soon...and in addition to an 8085 processor board, there /may/ be a 6502 processor board to go with it...).

                                  Thanks,
                                  Jonathan
                                • mejeep_ferret
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 3, 2010
                                    I have the MARCH Wyse-50 terminal's keyboard here at home,
                                    repairing a frayed cord and broken arrow-key.
                                    It will then join the terminal in the big storage area.

                                    -- jeff3ry jonas

                                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:
                                    > Ok, one more thought.
                                    > Does anyone know of a reasonable
                                    > parallel-to-PS/2 converter?

                                    If my PIC-18 workbench were up to speed, that would be an afternoon project :-/

                                    > I have an ASCII keyboard or two laying around
                                    > and with the proper encoding could be used with the
                                    > PS/2 interface on the Pocketerm.

                                    I too have several ASCII keyboards, some with enough space in the enclosure for the terminal and possibly the power supply!
                                    I agree, they're good for that retro look-and-feel.
                                  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 5, 2010
                                      Monday, because of this thread, I purchased the PockeTerm kit. It
                                      is now Friday and it has not arrived. Any email sent to Vince has
                                      not been answered.

                                      I'm figuring that BrielComputers is probably just Vince. Is he OK?
                                      Perhaps, traveling? Does anyone here know?
                                    • Bill Degnan
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 5, 2010
                                        He's just one guy (with maybe one or two assistants) and he is not set up
                                        for speedy operations. He is in the process of moving to Califormia. I am
                                        sure you'll get your terminal, but I would "allow for 6-8 weeks
                                        processing", and then be happily surprised to get the package next week.
                                        He may have to assemble the unit himself, etc. I don't want to speak for
                                        Vince, he occasionally posts here.
                                        Bill Degnan

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 5, 2010
                                          "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

                                          >He's just one guy (with maybe one or two assistants) and he is not set up
                                          >for speedy operations. He is in the process of moving to Califormia. I am
                                          >sure you'll get your terminal, but I would "allow for 6-8 weeks
                                          >processing", and then be happily surprised to get the package next week.
                                          >He may have to assemble the unit himself, etc. I don't want to speak for
                                          >Vince, he occasionally posts here.
                                          >Bill Degnan

                                          Assemble it himself? You mean collect the parts?

                                          Well, I wish this would have all be expressed on his order site.
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Nov 5, 2010
                                            >>> Well, I wish this would have all be expressed on his order site.

                                            I see your point. But just so you know, MARCH can 100% vouch for Vince. He's a great guy, his products are top-notch, and he's been a loyal supporter of our VCF East. (I've personally known him and had his Replica 1 kit since before MARCH even formed in 2004.)
                                          • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Nov 5, 2010
                                              "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

                                              >I see your point. But just so you know, MARCH can 100% vouch for Vince.
                                              >He's a great guy, his products are top-notch, and he's been a loyal
                                              >supporter of our VCF East.

                                              I didn't say anything about him. I was just wondering when I might be
                                              seeing this kit. 6-8 weeks from Ohio is a crawl across PA. And here I
                                              thought I'd have a free weekend and something to do with it.
                                            • Bill Degnan
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Nov 5, 2010
                                                > >He may have to assemble the unit himself, etc. I don't want to speak
                                                for
                                                > >Vince, he occasionally posts here.
                                                > >Bill Degnan
                                                >
                                                > Assemble it himself? You mean collect the parts?
                                                >
                                                > Well, I wish this would have all be expressed on his order site.

                                                I don't want to speak for Vince, I have no idea. He sells kits, he may
                                                have a local outfit that assembles for him, he may have a staff that does
                                                that work. He is a professional and will deliver. He is very hightly
                                                respected in our hobby for a reason.

                                                Bill
                                              • Richard Cini
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Nov 7, 2010
                                                  Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: WTD-serial terminal I was thinking like Jim Brain’s CBM->PS2 interface to use a real Commodore keyboard with the VICE emulator (running on a PC). It definitely is a small market for something like that but when replicating “look and feel” it would be handy to have.

                                                  Rich

                                                  On 11/7/10 8:47 AM, "Mike" <mike@...> wrote:

                                                  Hi Richard,

                                                  There are several issues with producing an encoded ASCII to PS2 keyboard interface converter, so I'd be surprised to see one made.

                                                  1)  You may have a couple of encoded ASCII keyboards, but the keyboards are rather scarce, which limits the market.   Quite a few Apple-1 clone builders end up scrounging them from complete Apple II plus computers.
                                                   2)  Sequences like control-alt-delete being held down on a PS/2 keyboard would be tricky to replicate, because a typical parallel ASCII keyboard interface doesn't present state information about a key being currently up or down.

                                                  I have made a batch of adapter kits that go the other way, PS/2 keyboard to parallel ASCII, but that was done primarily because of 1) above.  I think Vince put a PS/2 interface on his replica-1 for the same reason.

                                                  Regards,
                                                  Mike Willegal

                                                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com> , Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:

                                                  > Ok, one more thought. Does anyone know of a reasonable parallel-to-PS/2
                                                  > converter? I have an ASCII keyboard or two laying around and with the proper
                                                  > encoding could be used with the PS/2 interface on the Pocketerm. I did some
                                                  > searching and there are quite a few for MAME arcade build-outs (I have one),
                                                  > but they use discrete switch inputs to ground and convert it to a keyboard
                                                  > character.
                                                  >
                                                  > More Googling ahead...
                                                  >

                                                  > On 11/2/10 7:45 PM, "Richard Cini" <rich.cini@...> wrote:

                                                  > >> It almost begs a nice wooden enclosure that would replace the Model M
                                                  > >> keyboard case as well as provide a housing for the PCB and maybe a 14"
                                                  > >> LCD. :)
                                                  > >>

                                                  > > Look at this: eBay item 150514710557. It’s a Heath H9 terminal. Not being a
                                                  > > Heath guy, I didn’t know this existed. It’s about the right form factor,
                                                  > > approximately, for a hacked together Pocketerm and 14” LCD monitor. The case
                                                  > > could be wood and metal like the SOL or maybe something else. Hmmmm....
                                                  > >

                                                  > > Rich
                                                  >
                                                  > --
                                                  > Rich Cini
                                                  > Collector of Classic Computers
                                                  > http://www.altair32.com
                                                  > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini

                                                  Rich

                                                  --
                                                  Rich Cini
                                                  Collector of Classic Computers
                                                  http://www.altair32.com
                                                  http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
                                                • Mike
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Nov 7, 2010

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Nov 7, 2010
                                                      >>> I think Vince put a PS/2 interface on his replica-1 for the same reason

                                                      Correct.