Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Holiday party

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 29, 2010

      > I would also like to organize who will be bringing what for the party in
      terms of food. Why because I keep bringing things that someone (some times
      many people) already bought and brought. Who needs 1000 napkins ?

      I don't know, the way some of you people eat..... :-)

      > And I would like to have some sort of mini fix it session for fixing one
      Commodore 64 and one 1541 drive. Someone said why fix it ? Just buy another
      one; there are so many available and so cheap. So now I have a dozen of
      each and maybe one working of each. I would like to learn how to fix them
      for myself as well as fixing the ones that MARCH has for future selling.
      One time we did an ad-hoc one the next afternoon, but we weren't fully
      prepared and couldn't fix the 1541. Anyone onboard ?

      I am!

      I will bring my C64 repair gear, and some parts. I am not by any stretch a
      certified CBM repairman, but I can try.

      Bill
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 29, 2010
        I will be there, not sure what time yet. I have to run a holiday party for a bunch of Taekwondo kids, so I'm hoping it won't be scheduled for that day. I'm still waiting for the November/December schedule to be finalized.

        I would like to bring hamburgers, charcoal and a grill (if we can't find one from Infoage like last time).

        I would also like to organize who will be bringing what for the party in terms of food. Why because I keep bringing things that someone (some times many people) already bought and brought. Who needs 1000 napkins ?

        And I would like to have some sort of mini fix it session for fixing one Commodore 64 and one 1541 drive. Someone said why fix it ? Just buy another one; there are so many available and so cheap.  So now I have a dozen of each and maybe one working of each. I would like to learn how to fix them for myself as well as fixing the ones that MARCH has for future selling. One time we did an ad-hoc one the next afternoon, but we weren't fully prepared and couldn't fix the 1541. Anyone onboard ?

        Jeff B

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 29, 2010
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 29, 2010

            >I will bring my C64 repair gear, and some parts. I am not by any stretch a
            >certified CBM repairman, but I can try.

            Great Bill !

            I have a diagnostic harness that will diagnosis much (but not all) problems. This cartridge won't work with problems where the video needs to work. I wish I could find that L.E.D. Diagnose 64, which doesn't require the video to work.

            I also have some extra PLA chips that can be used. Not sure if I should try order some other common chips that go bad. Perhaps diagnose first then replace chips later ?

            Jeff B

          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 29, 2010
              Bill Degnan

              > >I will bring my C64 repair gear, and some parts. I am not by any
              stretch a

              > >certified CBM repairman, but I can try.
              > Great Bill !
              > I have a diagnostic harness that will diagnosis much (but not all)
              problems. This cartridge won't work with problems where the video needs to
              work. I wish I could find that L.E.D. Diagnose 64, which doesn't require
              the video to work.

              > I also have some extra PLA chips that can be used. Not sure if I should
              try order some other common chips that go bad. Perhaps diagnose first then
              replace chips later ?

              > Jeff B

              \Bring common stuff like 7805 voltage regulators. If you look the board
              over you can see what caps you might need. I will bring some of that
              stuff, plus we have parts units on site.
              bd
            • Bryan Pope
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 30, 2010
                On 10/29/2010 1:12 PM, ysgdhio wrote:
                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Evan Koblentz<evan@...> wrote:
                >>> This year's MARCH holiday party, a.k.a. "Vintage Computer Festivus", will happen December 11 at Infoage.
                >> Also: last year people seemed to enjoy having swap tables --
                >> which doubles as an easy way to make your ten bucks back!
                > I'm cash poor, so anyone looking for anything in particular?
                >
                > I might be convinced to sell a complete Sony SMC-70 setup.
                > I've also got a Sun Ultra-1 workstation *with* 20" monitor for sale.
                >
                > More importantly, who's coming to the holiday party?
                > Sound off!
                I plan on attending this soiree!

                Cheers,

                Bryan
              • mattmik
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 30, 2010
                  I may or may not be able to attend. I might be in the city on December 11th. :/