On-topic post about off-topicness -- PLEASE READ

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 28, 2010
      >>> Ya'll need to lighten the **** up

      In almost six full years of our list's existence, this is the first time that I can remember such BS happening.

      And it will hopefully be the last, at least for another six years.....

      Recently I asked some people why they post here for tech questions vs. on classiccmp. I understand posting here for local matters, but why limit tech questions to just us when there's a whole world out there? Everyone answered the same way -- it's because our list doesn't delve into the crap and massive off-topicness. Some people would rather hugely limit their question's exposure because in return they get civility. (And yet, it's not like we don't have fun!)

      I agree that the recycling topic could impact collectors. But any topic that's not clearly and strictly on-topic needs at least a "semi-OT:" as a subject line preface. This isn't my preference; it's my edict. (Chris: this isn't to pick on you at all. Sometimes we all need a little reminder, including me.)

      I have some big problems with other posts in this thread, but I'm not going to embarrass anyone on the public list.

      Some flame wars and occasional Micro$oft-bashing are cool now and then -- we are after all a computer club! :)

      Anything leading to Godwin's Law is not allowed.

      Personally I * enjoy * a good debate about current events, government, religion, etc., because my opinions on these topics are always correct and everyone else's are always wrong. :) It just can't happen on this list.

      So everyone please use common sense. If you have something to say that's an off-topic reply, then send it off-list.

      Finally: unlike in an evil dictatorship (i.e. Iran, North Korea, News Corp. ;) ), here in MARCH we welcome your opinions and feedback!!! If anyone has a comment or question, or even a major problem with my leadership, then please speak up. On-list, or off-list, or wherever.

      Thank you.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 28, 2010
        And further:

        Wedding guest #1: He's killed my auntie!
        King: No, please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who.

        ... That goes for the MARCH list too. Surely you all have better things to do than start new arguments about who started. ("Why yes Evan, we do! And don't call us Shirley.")
      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 28, 2010
          "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

          >Pj4+IFlhJ2xsIG5lZWQgdG8gbGlnaHRlbiB0aGUgKioqKiB1cA0KDQpJbiBhbG1vc3Qgc2l4
          >IGZ1bGwgeWVhcnMgb2Ygb3VyIGxpc3QncyBleGlzdGVuY2UsIHRoaXMgaXMgdGhlIGZpcnN0
          >IHRpbWUgdGhhdCBJIGNhbiByZW1lbWJlciBzdWNoIEJTIGhhcHBlbmluZy4NCg0KQW5kIGl0
          >IHdpbGwgaG9wZWZ1bGx5IGJlIHRoZSBsYXN0LCBhdCBsZWFzdCBmb3IgYW5vdGhlciBzaXgg
          >Zi1saXN0LCBvciB3aGVyZXZlci4NCg0KVGhhbmsgeW91Lg==

          Qwerty impossible to read. ;)