RE: [midatlanticretro] Please no political threads

  • Gene Buckle
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
      On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, Bill Loguidice wrote:

      > I always found the top posting versus bottom posting debate silly. I always
      > prefer top posting since my thinking is I can write (or read) the new point,
      > and, only if necessary, the reader can refer to the bottom text for
      > "background" information. That fact though that people feel strongly either
      > way and that there's some supposed etiquette to it all is amazing. We can
      > all be very nitpicky when it comes to our own preferences. Frankly, there
      > are lots of things I'd love to change, but I'm realistic in knowing they're
      > not going to happen and I should let them be.

      <Foghorn Leghorn>
      Ahh say son, thaaat was a joke!
      </Foghorn Leghorn>

      You guys wanted the topic changed, I did. The other guy got the joke and
      replied. I racheted up the absurdium setting and then you guys got your
      panties in a wad. Ya'll need to lighten the **** up.

      g.

      --
      Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

      by the clean end.
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
        "Bill Loguidice" <bill@...> writes:

        >I always found the top posting versus bottom posting debate silly. I always
        >prefer top posting since my thinking is I can write (or read) the new point,
        >and, only if necessary, the reader can refer to the bottom text for
        >"background" information. That fact though that people feel strongly either
        >way and that there's some supposed etiquette to it all is amazing. We can
        >all be very nitpicky when it comes to our own preferences. Frankly, there
        >are lots of things I'd love to change, but I'm realistic in knowing they're
        >not going to happen and I should let them be.

        Well, you're wrong! :P :)

        Happily, you posted text that can actually be read in 80 columns or less
        and that's always a positive.

        FWIW: http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php

        These aren't my rules but it is a generally accepted list of "netiquette"
        that has worked for 20 years!

        Considering that this *IS* a group of retro-hobbyists, I'd think you'd all
        have some basis in or familiarity with usenet or mailing lists as they were
        before the Yahoo-degeneration or, at least, an appreciation for how it was.

        I'm not a fan of top-posting and don't wish to open up a top/bottom posting
        religious debate but I will state that the HTMLized and base64 encoded posts
        here are ridiculously unreadable and require extra work to read. Netiquette
        rulez! Borrowing from the C64/Amiga mantra recently posted.
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
          Last night I picked up a PDP 11/34 with Rack and twin RL01 drives

          It's going to be a while before this thing is ready to run, but here are
          the "before" pictures, before restoration that is.

          http://vintagecomputer.net/digital/pdp11-34a/before/

          Bill
        • Bill Loguidice
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010

            I think a lot of it depends on what any of uses to respond to posts, too. For instance, I’m typically in Outlook, and this is how I (and others who use it, particularly in corporate settings) use it. Certainly the interface is different if you don’t treat this as e-mail and do it from Yahoo or Google Groups, or a particular e-mail program with its own set of quirks.

            Bill Loguidice, Managing Director
            Armchair Arcade, Inc.
            http://www.armchairarcade.com
            Authored Books: http://www.armchairarcade.com/books
            Film: http://www.armchairarcade.com/film
            LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/billloguidice

            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
              B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:

              >Last night I picked up a PDP 11/34 with Rack and twin RL01 drives
              >
              >It's going to be a while before this thing is ready to run, but here are
              >the "before" pictures, before restoration that is.
              >
              >http://vintagecomputer.net/digital/pdp11-34a/before/

              Nice... needs some real TLC to clean it up but still nice.

              What was this running, if you know? RT? RSTS? RSX?
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
                system@... wrote:
                B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:

                Last night I picked up a  PDP 11/34 with Rack and twin RL01 drives

                It's going to be a while before this thing is ready to run, but here are
                the "before" pictures, before restoration that is.

                http://vintagecomputer.net/digital/pdp11-34a/before/

                Nice... needs some real TLC to clean it up but still nice.

                What was this running, if you know?  RT?  RSTS?  RSX?

                Unknown OS.   There are no disks, unless they were left in the drives.  My goal here is to take 3 hours to clean and put it back together carefully, and then to research the the cards.  Once I have all of that, test the power supply and determine if any cables are missing.  It's going to be a while before I hook the thing up to a terminal.  If I can at least get the front panel working I will be happy.  I have a known working RL02 drive that I can use, and plenty of RL02 RT11 era stuff.

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
                  Thanks for the Dynabyte disks, I can now resume restoration of MARCH's
                  Dynabyte S-100 system. It's a late S-100 era CP/M system with a twin 8"
                  drive enclosure.

                  I must apologize, I cannot find who sent me the disks! To whom do I
                  send my thanks? Maybe you can tell us all the history of this machine,
                  I know nothing about how MARCH got it.

                  http://vintagecomputer.net/dynabyte/

                  Thanks

                  Bill