Re: [midatlanticretro] Please no political threads - PLEASE DISCONTINUE THIS THREAD

  • Gene Buckle
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
      On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, B Degnan wrote:

      > Christian Liendo wrote:
      >> MSX rocks them both!!! ;)
      >>
      >> --- On Thu, 10/28/10, Gene Buckle <geneb@...> wrote:
      >>
      >>> Commodore Rules, Atari Drools!
      >>>
      > Please discontinue this discussion.

      You sir, are a very wet blanket. :)

      g.

      --
      Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

      by the clean end.
    • Gene Buckle
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
        On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, Bill Loguidice wrote:

        > I always found the top posting versus bottom posting debate silly. I always
        > prefer top posting since my thinking is I can write (or read) the new point,
        > and, only if necessary, the reader can refer to the bottom text for
        > "background" information. That fact though that people feel strongly either
        > way and that there's some supposed etiquette to it all is amazing. We can
        > all be very nitpicky when it comes to our own preferences. Frankly, there
        > are lots of things I'd love to change, but I'm realistic in knowing they're
        > not going to happen and I should let them be.

        <Foghorn Leghorn>
        Ahh say son, thaaat was a joke!
        </Foghorn Leghorn>

        You guys wanted the topic changed, I did. The other guy got the joke and
        replied. I racheted up the absurdium setting and then you guys got your
        panties in a wad. Ya'll need to lighten the **** up.

        g.

        --
        Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

        by the clean end.
      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
          "Bill Loguidice" <bill@...> writes:

          >I always found the top posting versus bottom posting debate silly. I always
          >prefer top posting since my thinking is I can write (or read) the new point,
          >and, only if necessary, the reader can refer to the bottom text for
          >"background" information. That fact though that people feel strongly either
          >way and that there's some supposed etiquette to it all is amazing. We can
          >all be very nitpicky when it comes to our own preferences. Frankly, there
          >are lots of things I'd love to change, but I'm realistic in knowing they're
          >not going to happen and I should let them be.

          Well, you're wrong! :P :)

          Happily, you posted text that can actually be read in 80 columns or less
          and that's always a positive.

          FWIW: http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php

          These aren't my rules but it is a generally accepted list of "netiquette"
          that has worked for 20 years!

          Considering that this *IS* a group of retro-hobbyists, I'd think you'd all
          have some basis in or familiarity with usenet or mailing lists as they were
          before the Yahoo-degeneration or, at least, an appreciation for how it was.

          I'm not a fan of top-posting and don't wish to open up a top/bottom posting
          religious debate but I will state that the HTMLized and base64 encoded posts
          here are ridiculously unreadable and require extra work to read. Netiquette
          rulez! Borrowing from the C64/Amiga mantra recently posted.
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
            Last night I picked up a PDP 11/34 with Rack and twin RL01 drives

            It's going to be a while before this thing is ready to run, but here are
            the "before" pictures, before restoration that is.

            http://vintagecomputer.net/digital/pdp11-34a/before/

            Bill
          • Bill Loguidice
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010

              I think a lot of it depends on what any of uses to respond to posts, too. For instance, I’m typically in Outlook, and this is how I (and others who use it, particularly in corporate settings) use it. Certainly the interface is different if you don’t treat this as e-mail and do it from Yahoo or Google Groups, or a particular e-mail program with its own set of quirks.

              Bill Loguidice, Managing Director
              Armchair Arcade, Inc.
              http://www.armchairarcade.com
              Authored Books: http://www.armchairarcade.com/books
              Film: http://www.armchairarcade.com/film
              LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/billloguidice

              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
                B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:

                >Last night I picked up a PDP 11/34 with Rack and twin RL01 drives
                >
                >It's going to be a while before this thing is ready to run, but here are
                >the "before" pictures, before restoration that is.
                >
                >http://vintagecomputer.net/digital/pdp11-34a/before/

                Nice... needs some real TLC to clean it up but still nice.

                What was this running, if you know? RT? RSTS? RSX?
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
                  system@... wrote:
                  B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:

                  Last night I picked up a  PDP 11/34 with Rack and twin RL01 drives

                  It's going to be a while before this thing is ready to run, but here are
                  the "before" pictures, before restoration that is.

                  http://vintagecomputer.net/digital/pdp11-34a/before/

                  Nice... needs some real TLC to clean it up but still nice.

                  What was this running, if you know?  RT?  RSTS?  RSX?

                  Unknown OS.   There are no disks, unless they were left in the drives.  My goal here is to take 3 hours to clean and put it back together carefully, and then to research the the cards.  Once I have all of that, test the power supply and determine if any cables are missing.  It's going to be a while before I hook the thing up to a terminal.  If I can at least get the front panel working I will be happy.  I have a known working RL02 drive that I can use, and plenty of RL02 RT11 era stuff.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
                    Thanks for the Dynabyte disks, I can now resume restoration of MARCH's
                    Dynabyte S-100 system. It's a late S-100 era CP/M system with a twin 8"
                    drive enclosure.

                    I must apologize, I cannot find who sent me the disks! To whom do I
                    send my thanks? Maybe you can tell us all the history of this machine,
                    I know nothing about how MARCH got it.

                    http://vintagecomputer.net/dynabyte/

                    Thanks

                    Bill