Re: [midatlanticretro] Please no political threads

  • Gene Buckle
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
      On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, Christian Liendo wrote:

      > Please lets not turn the MARCH group into a political debate area..
      >
      > I myself want to respond to this but I am holding back because this is not the place for this.
      >
      > If we want to have debates about old computers, hey I am all for that. But please no political debates here..

      Commodore Rules, Atari Drools!

      *gd&r*

      g.

      --
      Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

      by the clean end.
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010

      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
          Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> writes:

          >Please lets not turn the MARCH group into a political debate area..

          Who brought up the "law" in this forum? :rolleyes:
        • Gene Buckle
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
            On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, Christian Liendo wrote:

            > MSX rocks them both!!! ;)
            >
            > --- On Thu, 10/28/10, Gene Buckle <geneb@...> wrote:
            >> Commodore Rules, Atari Drools!

            Pfft. You expect me to take a _top poster_ seriously? Puhleeeze!

            *laughs*

            g.

            --
            Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

            by the clean end.
          • Christian Liendo
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
              http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/wan/2029445115.html

            • Christian Liendo
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
                Look there is a difference..

                The law may or may not affected our ability to collect. Which in my own humble opinion would consider on topic.

                We looked at it and it didn't seem to affect our ability to collect vintage computers..

                I just don't want to diverge from this and turn this into a huge political debate.

                --- On Thu, 10/28/10, system@... <system@...> wrote:
                Who brought up the "law" in this forum? :rolleyes:
              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010

                  Nor within >signature footers <

                  take it somewhere else

                  =Dan

                • Gene Buckle
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
                    On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, B Degnan wrote:

                    > Christian Liendo wrote:
                    >> MSX rocks them both!!! ;)
                    >>
                    >> --- On Thu, 10/28/10, Gene Buckle <geneb@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> Commodore Rules, Atari Drools!
                    >>>
                    > Please discontinue this discussion.

                    You sir, are a very wet blanket. :)

                    g.

                    --
                    Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

                    by the clean end.
                  • Gene Buckle
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
                      On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, Bill Loguidice wrote:

                      > I always found the top posting versus bottom posting debate silly. I always
                      > prefer top posting since my thinking is I can write (or read) the new point,
                      > and, only if necessary, the reader can refer to the bottom text for
                      > "background" information. That fact though that people feel strongly either
                      > way and that there's some supposed etiquette to it all is amazing. We can
                      > all be very nitpicky when it comes to our own preferences. Frankly, there
                      > are lots of things I'd love to change, but I'm realistic in knowing they're
                      > not going to happen and I should let them be.

                      <Foghorn Leghorn>
                      Ahh say son, thaaat was a joke!
                      </Foghorn Leghorn>

                      You guys wanted the topic changed, I did. The other guy got the joke and
                      replied. I racheted up the absurdium setting and then you guys got your
                      panties in a wad. Ya'll need to lighten the **** up.

                      g.

                      --
                      Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

                      by the clean end.
                    • Christian Liendo
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010

                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
                          Christian Liendo wrote:
                          MSX rocks them both!!!   ;)

                          --- On Thu, 10/28/10, Gene Buckle <geneb@...> wrote:

                          Commodore Rules, Atari Drools!

                          Please discontinue this discussion.
                        • Bill Loguidice
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010

                            I always found the top posting versus bottom posting debate silly. I always prefer top posting since my thinking is I can write (or read) the new point, and, only if necessary, the reader can refer to the bottom text for “background” information. That fact though that people feel strongly either way and that there’s some supposed etiquette to it all is amazing. We can all be very nitpicky when it comes to our own preferences. Frankly, there are lots of things I’d love to change, but I’m realistic in knowing they’re not going to happen and I should let them be.

                            Bill Loguidice, Managing Director
                            Armchair Arcade, Inc.
                            http://www.armchairarcade.com
                            Authored Books: http://www.armchairarcade.com/books
                            Film: http://www.armchairarcade.com/film
                            LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/billloguidice

                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
                              "Bill Loguidice" <bill@...> writes:

                              >I always found the top posting versus bottom posting debate silly. I always
                              >prefer top posting since my thinking is I can write (or read) the new point,
                              >and, only if necessary, the reader can refer to the bottom text for
                              >"background" information. That fact though that people feel strongly either
                              >way and that there's some supposed etiquette to it all is amazing. We can
                              >all be very nitpicky when it comes to our own preferences. Frankly, there
                              >are lots of things I'd love to change, but I'm realistic in knowing they're
                              >not going to happen and I should let them be.

                              Well, you're wrong! :P :)

                              Happily, you posted text that can actually be read in 80 columns or less
                              and that's always a positive.

                              FWIW: http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php

                              These aren't my rules but it is a generally accepted list of "netiquette"
                              that has worked for 20 years!

                              Considering that this *IS* a group of retro-hobbyists, I'd think you'd all
                              have some basis in or familiarity with usenet or mailing lists as they were
                              before the Yahoo-degeneration or, at least, an appreciation for how it was.

                              I'm not a fan of top-posting and don't wish to open up a top/bottom posting
                              religious debate but I will state that the HTMLized and base64 encoded posts
                              here are ridiculously unreadable and require extra work to read. Netiquette
                              rulez! Borrowing from the C64/Amiga mantra recently posted.
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
                                Last night I picked up a PDP 11/34 with Rack and twin RL01 drives

                                It's going to be a while before this thing is ready to run, but here are
                                the "before" pictures, before restoration that is.

                                http://vintagecomputer.net/digital/pdp11-34a/before/

                                Bill
                              • Bill Loguidice
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010

                                  I think a lot of it depends on what any of uses to respond to posts, too. For instance, I’m typically in Outlook, and this is how I (and others who use it, particularly in corporate settings) use it. Certainly the interface is different if you don’t treat this as e-mail and do it from Yahoo or Google Groups, or a particular e-mail program with its own set of quirks.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
                                    B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:

                                    >Last night I picked up a PDP 11/34 with Rack and twin RL01 drives
                                    >
                                    >It's going to be a while before this thing is ready to run, but here are
                                    >the "before" pictures, before restoration that is.
                                    >
                                    >http://vintagecomputer.net/digital/pdp11-34a/before/

                                    Nice... needs some real TLC to clean it up but still nice.

                                    What was this running, if you know? RT? RSTS? RSX?
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
                                      system@... wrote:
                                      B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:

                                      Last night I picked up a  PDP 11/34 with Rack and twin RL01 drives

                                      It's going to be a while before this thing is ready to run, but here are
                                      the "before" pictures, before restoration that is.

                                      http://vintagecomputer.net/digital/pdp11-34a/before/

                                      Nice... needs some real TLC to clean it up but still nice.

                                      What was this running, if you know?  RT?  RSTS?  RSX?

                                      Unknown OS.   There are no disks, unless they were left in the drives.  My goal here is to take 3 hours to clean and put it back together carefully, and then to research the the cards.  Once I have all of that, test the power supply and determine if any cables are missing.  It's going to be a while before I hook the thing up to a terminal.  If I can at least get the front panel working I will be happy.  I have a known working RL02 drive that I can use, and plenty of RL02 RT11 era stuff.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 28, 2010
                                        Thanks for the Dynabyte disks, I can now resume restoration of MARCH's
                                        Dynabyte S-100 system. It's a late S-100 era CP/M system with a twin 8"
                                        drive enclosure.

                                        I must apologize, I cannot find who sent me the disks! To whom do I
                                        send my thanks? Maybe you can tell us all the history of this machine,
                                        I know nothing about how MARCH got it.

                                        http://vintagecomputer.net/dynabyte/

                                        Thanks

                                        Bill