Wrap-up -- NJ Science Fest

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 24, 2010
      So, it was a pretty good event. Definitely worth MARH's being there,
      and we'll definitely go again if they have it again next year. Hours
      both days were 10-5; yesterday it was busy from 11-5 and today it was
      busy from noon-5. Most of the audience were families, which is good
      because families are who we need to visit InfoAge.

      Exhibit-wise, the event was like a 1/20th-scale Maker Faire. Companies,
      club, school groups, robot competitions, etc., etc. ..... we definitely
      fit in. It was also nice being inside a shared InfoAge booth rather
      than strictly on our own.

      Big thanks to Jeff J., Jeff B., and the NJARC guys for all their help.
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 24, 2010
        Yeah, it was a great event. Spreading the word about us to as many people as possible is great. But, I always enjoy the special visitors who have enough interest in trying to program a few lines of basic. I hope they are inspired to continue learning !

        To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        From: evan@...
        Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 19:06:57 -0400
        Subject: [midatlanticretro] Wrap-up -- NJ Science Fest

      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 25, 2010
          Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> writes:

          >Yeah, it was a great event. Spreading the word about us to as many people a=
          >s possible is great. But, I always enjoy the special visitors who have enou=
          >gh interest in trying to program a few lines of basic. I hope they are insp=
          >ired to continue learning !

          Program a few lines of basic what? ;)

          I couldn't get to the event in Clifton; albeit, I would have liked to.
          The water heater, after 23+ years of service, sprung a leak and I was
          busy with that project throughout the weekend. However, I did take a
          break from doing the water heater project and I took my 11 year old on
          the InfoAge's "Haunted Hike." I haven't had that many laughs since I
          took my now 22 year old son to a similar haunted event many years ago.
          My wife joined us too and Evan met both. FYI, I paid $40 for the $36
          admission and said to keep the change for MARCH! Hope you see it.

          I loved the fish "Eric" hanging in the "Mad Scientist's Lab." It was
          good to know that somebody there has my twisted sense of humor. :)
        • Jeffrey Brace
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 25, 2010
            Basically I taught them basic B.A.S.I.C. You know the all-purpose language that is for beginners because it is symbolic ? They love learning the basics of early computers.  Some like talking about assembly. I must review the basics of assembly before I can effectively explain. Assemble what ?

            To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
            From: system@...
            Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 07:31:37 -0400
            Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Wrap-up -- NJ Science Fest

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 25, 2010

              >> You know the all-purpose language that is for beginners because it is symbolic ?

              Jeff B., you need to fine-tune your sarcasm meter. :)
            • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 25, 2010
                Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> writes:

                >Basically I taught them basic B.A.S.I.C. You know the all-purpose language =
                >that is for beginners because it is symbolic ?

                That's what I was alluding to... it's BASIC; not basic.

                I'm still trying to figure out what's symbolic about BASIC. If you're
                really looking for a symbolic language, it's APL that fits that mould.
                The only time I _used_ BASIC was on my Sharp EL-5500II which I picked
                up my last year in grad school. I'd take BLISS over BASIC any day.

                > They love learning the basic=
                >s of early computers. Some like talking about assembly. I must review the =
                >basics of assembly before I can effectively explain. Assemble what ?

                I am still an assembly language programmer; I prefer to code in assembly
                only because I hate something (or someone: Mom) telling me what I can or
                cannot do. I loathe the limitations in the expressions and enforcements
                of the high-level languages. Click your heals together and repeat...

                Strong typing is for weak minds.
                Strong typing is for weak minds.
                Strong typing is for weak minds.

                :D
              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 25, 2010
                  On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, system@... wrote:

                  > I am still an assembly language programmer; I prefer to code in assembly
                  > only because I hate something (or someone: Mom) telling me what I can or
                  > cannot do. I loathe the limitations in the expressions and enforcements
                  > of the high-level languages.

                  cat > a.out

                  :-)

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 25, 2010
                    Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

                    >On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, system@... wrote:
                    >
                    >> I am still an assembly language programmer; I prefer to code in assembly
                    >> only because I hate something (or someone: Mom) telling me what I can or
                    >> cannot do. I loathe the limitations in the expressions and enforcements
                    >> of the high-level languages.
                    >
                    > cat > a.out

                    Save that that's not really a programming language; it's just a un*x shell
                    command pipe.
                  • Gene Buckle
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 25, 2010
                      On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, Mike Loewen wrote:

                      > On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, system@... wrote:
                      >
                      >> Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

                      >>> cat > a.out
                      >>
                      >> Save that that's not really a programming language; it's just a un*x shell
                      >> command pipe.
                      >
                      > Sorry, old joke. "Real programmers don't use compilers or assemblers:
                      > they just 'cat > a.out'".

                      Alternately copy con program.exe

                      g.

                      --
                      Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

                      by the clean end.
                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 25, 2010

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 25, 2010
                          Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

                          > Sorry, old joke. "Real programmers don't use compilers or assemblers:
                          >they just 'cat > a.out'".

                          Real programmers don't use Pascal. ;)
                        • Gene Buckle
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 25, 2010
                            On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, system@... wrote:

                            > Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:
                            >
                            >> Sorry, old joke. "Real programmers don't use compilers or assemblers:
                            >> they just 'cat > a.out'".
                            >
                            > Real programmers don't use Pascal. ;)

                            ...they use Delphi!

                            g.

                            --
                            Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

                            by the clean end.
                          • Jeffrey Brace
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 25, 2010
                              I was going for funny and witty ;)

                              >> You know the all-purpose language that is for beginners because it is symbolic ?

                              >Jeff B., you need to fine-tune your sarcasm meter. :)

                              __._,_
                            • Jeffrey Brace
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 25, 2010
                                I used pascal in high school and college !

                                To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                                From: system@...
                                Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 17:07:28 -0400