Re: The Retro Computing Roundtable podcast

  • David
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 22, 2010
      << This Saturday from 11-12 or so I will be participating in David Greelish's Classic Computing podcast as a Skype-in panelist. >>

      << The podcast is not going to be live, it'll be edited and then posted for download/streaming (I assume). >>

      That would be cool if we could also stream the show live one day - definitely on the future want-to-do list. The podcast will be posted on my site where it can be listened to, and I'll make it downloadable as an mp3. It will also be submitted to iTunes, but that can take a week or so to show up.

      Best,

      David Greelish, Computer Historian

      Classic Computing
      The Home of Computer History Nostalgia
      http://www.classiccomputing.com

      Classic Computing Blog

      Classic Computing Show video podcast

      "Stan Veit's History of the Personal Computer" audiobook podcast

      Historical Computer Society meeting - first Wednesday of each month.

      Retro Computing Roundtable podcast - this Saturday!

      Classic Computing Expo 1.0 - planned for March 2011!
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 22, 2010
        On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 10:42 AM, David <dgreelish@...> wrote:
        << This Saturday from 11-12 or so I will be participating in David Greelish's Classic Computing podcast as a Skype-in panelist. >>

        << The podcast is not going to be live, it'll be edited and then posted for download/streaming (I assume). >>

        That would be cool if we could also stream the show live one day - definitely on the future want-to-do list. The podcast will be posted on my site where it can be listened to, and I'll make it downloadable as an mp3. It will also be submitted to iTunes, but that can take a week or so to show up.

        oh I thought it was video, sorry, Ustream is a great place to go Live

        =Dan
      • David
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 22, 2010
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

          > oh I thought it was video, sorry, Ustream is a great place to go Live
          >
          > =Dan

          Video - yes! That would be very cool. Why not . . . well, I need to learn how to do that first. ;)

          I just had a thought. It's not so retro, but very techno and would be cool - what if I did the show at some point where I'm on camera, at a table, with three flat panels next to me with the panelists video feed on them?
        • telmnstr@757.org
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 22, 2010
            > Video - yes! That would be very cool. Why not . . . well, I need to learn how to do that first. ;)

            At the hackerspace in Norfolk (www.757labs.org) I'm working on doing a
            full multi-cam setup with multiple angles and switching. Using older
            hardware.

            If you're going to be close to the camea, look at the software the Debian
            project uses at their conferences. I think it's called DV switch or
            something. It looks pretty powerful and is free.
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 22, 2010

              On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 12:01 PM, <telmnstr@...> wrote:
              > Video - yes! That would be very cool. Why not . . . well, I need to learn how to do that first. ;)

              At the hackerspace in Norfolk (www.757labs.org) I'm working on doing a
              full multi-cam setup with multiple angles and switching. Using older
              hardware.

              If you're going to be close to the camea, look at the software the Debian
              project uses at their conferences. I think it's called DV switch or
              something. It looks pretty powerful and is free.

              <alittle OT>
              you mean this ?
              http://dvswitch.alioth.debian.org/wiki/
              That looks great, so it's all done on the desktop, no external hardware, just use a Firewire card for the extra inputs ?
              I see it has PiP, but no fading ?
              I just found this linux editor too, Kino, http://www.kinodv.org/article/static/2
              and this , http://windv.mourek.cz/

              I use to have a video mixer station when we only had VHS :(

              I heard that Skype can already support conferencing with multiple parties, it could be a basic alternative, wouldn't there be a way to feed this into Ustream much the same way as enabling a webcam ?

              I just read on the Ustream forum, that a basic setup can be done with a firewire card or muliple usb webcams and you can switch the input to the other video channel during the broadcast via the Ustream console - I haven't tried it yet, but I like to this wknd
              http://www.ustream.tv/forum/showthread.php?6-video-mixers

              =Dan