This Sat in Wilmington

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 21, 2010
      This Saturday from 11-12 or so I will be participating in David Greelish's
      Classic Computing podcast as a Skype-in panelist. I will be doing this at
      the repair store in Wilmington. Bryan Pope, I believe, is planning to come
      for a visit at some point during the day. For those who care, I will be in
      the office from 10-3 (or later) depending on the situation. Everyone is
      welcome to come. Just let me know when to expect you if you're stopping
      by.

      How is the repair store you ask?...Mostly new stuff but I have received
      some interesting work. Last week I got a call from a guy who needs his CBM
      256-80 system repaired, he has bad 8050 and 8250 drives. He needs to
      access the old program he wrote which has an archive of old business files.
      He only recently switched to an XP system relatively recently because the
      drives stopped working. Fun project. He must be the last man still using a
      CBM B Series.

      Bill Degnan
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 21, 2010
        On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
        This Saturday from 11-12 or so I will be participating in David Greelish's
        Classic Computing podcast as a Skype-in panelist.  I will be doing this at
        the repair store in Wilmington.  Bryan Pope, I believe, is planning to come
        for a visit at some point during the day.  For those who care, I will be in
        the office from 10-3 (or later) depending on the situation.  Everyone is
        welcome to come.  Just let me know when to expect you if you're stopping
        by.

        Will he be streaming the podcast too ?

        How is the repair store you ask?...Mostly new stuff but I have received
        some interesting work.  Last week I got a call from a guy who needs his CBM
        256-80 system repaired, he has bad 8050 and 8250 drives.  He needs to
        access the old program he wrote which has an archive of old business files.
         He only recently switched to an XP system relatively recently because the
        drives stopped working. Fun project.  He must be the last man still using a
        CBM B Series.

        nice

      • Bryan Pope
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 21, 2010
          On 10/21/2010 5:22 PM, Bill Degnan wrote:
          > This Saturday from 11-12 or so I will be participating in David Greelish's
          > Classic Computing podcast as a Skype-in panelist. I will be doing this at
          > the repair store in Wilmington. Bryan Pope, I believe, is planning to come
          > for a visit at some point during the day. For those who care, I will be in
          > the office from 10-3 (or later) depending on the situation. Everyone is
          > welcome to come. Just let me know when to expect you if you're stopping
          > by.
          >
          > How is the repair store you ask?...Mostly new stuff but I have received
          > some interesting work. Last week I got a call from a guy who needs his CBM
          > 256-80 system repaired, he has bad 8050 and 8250 drives. He needs to
          > access the old program he wrote which has an archive of old business files.
          > He only recently switched to an XP system relatively recently because the
          > drives stopped working. Fun project. He must be the last man still using a
          > CBM B Series.

          I plan to be there a little bit after 10am.. Very cool that someone was
          still using a Commodore!

          Cheers,

          Bryan
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 21, 2010
            Bryan,

            The podcast is not going to be live, it'll be edited and then posted for download/streaming (I assume).

            There is a chance that I will have to leave right after the podcast taping because I just learned a few minutes ago that I have free Phillies tickets for Saturday's game (now that they won tonight), and there is a chance that the game could be early.  If so, I will have to leave the shop early and I'd suggest you postpone your visit for some other time soon or you (Bryan) can run the shop while I am gone!

            Stand by.
            I plan to be there a little bit after 10am..  Very cool that someone was
            still using a Commodore!

            Cheers,

            Bryan

          • Christian Liendo
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 21, 2010

              Bill you should interview that guy and post a story about him..
              Or ask if I can get in touch with him and I would like to write a story..
              I mean seriously, people still using vintage computers is great stuff.

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 21, 2010
                What was so ironic is that he called based on our Craigslist.com ad (we mention having interest in Commodore/Tandy/etc), and he was throwing a Hail Mary pass to see if anyone would possibly know how to fix 8050 drives and work with a CBM 256-80, one of the rarest computers ever sold in production by Commodore.  He could not believe at first that I even knew about these systems.

                As many of you on this list know, I kind of specialize about the B Series Commodores, so I should be at least able to get his disks backed up and onto an emulator, if not actually repair his drives.  He told me he had a number of 8050's and 8250's, and a SFD-1001, but only the SFD-1001 still works.

                I will let you know when I know more about the project.  He still needs to show up with the hardware.  I will ask if he wants to be interviewed.

                Bill