Trying to organize a Get Lamp screening in NJ

  • johngineer
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 19, 2010
      Hi All-

      I am brand new to this group, so please forgive any mistakes I might make. I am trying to organize a screening of Jason Scott's film Get Lamp in central NJ. For those not familiar with it, Get Lamp is a documentary about text adventure games:

      http://www.getlamp.com/

      I've spoken to Jason, and he would be very interested in coming to NJ to show his film, but cannot foot the bill to rent a theater nor to promote it beyond his website. Both, I believe, are rightly handled at a more local level in any case. I was wondering if any individuals, or the group as a whole, would be interested in helping me out with this endeavor.

      In case you are wondering, I'm hoping to show the film at the Brook Theater in Bound Brook, NJ. I chose this theater because it is local to me, central to 2/3rds of NJ, and easy to get to by road and rail (easy by NJ standards, anyway). Further, the town of Bound Brook, and the Brook Theatre, are still trying to break even from last years bad winter storms (and subsequent flooding) -- I'd love to help them out and put on a great show at the same time.

      I would welcome any assistance or advice you folks would be willing to provide.

      Incidentally, I've met some of you before, at The Next HOPE. Much thanks to the fellow who set up the KayPro so I could play Legend of the Red Dragon over telnet :)
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 19, 2010
        > Hi All-
        >
        > I am brand new to this group, so please forgive any mistakes I might make. I am trying to organize a screening of Jason Scott's film Get Lamp in central NJ. For those not familiar with it, Get Lamp is a documentary about text adventure games:
        >
        > http://www.getlamp.com/
        >
        > I've spoken to Jason, and he would be very interested in coming to NJ to show his film, but cannot foot the bill to rent a theater nor to promote it beyond his website. Both, I believe, are rightly handled at a more local level in any case. I was wondering if any individuals, or the group as a whole, would be interested in helping

        John,

        Glad to see you join our group.

        We're big fans of Jason, so we are glad to help. We can't rent a
        theater, but we can definitely offer our museum (InfoAge Science Center,
        located in Wall, N.J.) as a venue for showing the film! Granted it
        would just be a large room with a projection screen and a simple
        surround sound -- nothing as fancy as a real theater.

        I'll email you offline with more info.
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 19, 2010
          > I'll email you offline with more info.

          Correction; looks like your email is hidden. Gimme a buzz;
          646-546-9999. Now is good if you're a night owl like me.
        • QRS
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 20, 2010
            Oops! Should be fixed now.

            I'd still be interested in holding a screening in Bound Brook, but perhaps we could arrange sequential dates so that Jason can do more than one showing here (if that's ok with him, of course!).

            I'm at work, then class all day today, but I can give you a call later this evening (after 9), if that's good for you.

            > > I'll email you offline with more info.
            >
            > Correction; looks like your email is hidden. Gimme a buzz;
            > 646-546-9999. Now is good if you're a night owl like me.

          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 20, 2010
              On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 1:53 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

              We're big fans of Jason, so we are glad to help.  We can't rent a
              theater, but we can definitely offer our museum (InfoAge Science Center,
              located in Wall, N.J.) as a venue for showing the film!  Granted it
              would just be a large room with a projection screen and a simple
              surround sound -- nothing as fancy as a real theater.

              hmm, sounds like a good reason to write up a Grant proposal, or a Kickstarter  project
              100 seat Theater, stage, surround sound - a place to watch old WWII news reels, Jason's docu's, Geek film night, etc.
              You think we could get IMAX installed ? :D

              =Dan