Mandelbrot dead at 85

  • GoodtimePA
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 18, 2010
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 19, 2010
        GoodtimePA wrote:
        > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11560101

        8-(

        Peace... Sridhar
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 19, 2010
          On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:
          8-(

          8-Z
        • Christian Liendo
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 19, 2010
            Did I miss the email on this?

            http://www.retrothing.com/2010/10/reissued-david-ahls-basic-computer-games.html

          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 19, 2010
              On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

              yes, I saw that too, but the source code has beenĀ  converted to some non-compatible M$ variant Basic

              ~disappointed

            • Bill Loguidice
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 19, 2010

                I think it’s a good choice for language, but what really disappoints me is that this is only an eBook. It’s rather high priced for that.

                Bill Loguidice, Managing Director
                Armchair Arcade, Inc.
                http://www.armchairarcade.com
                Authored Books: http://www.armchairarcade.com/books
                Film: http://www.armchairarcade.com/film
                LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/billloguidice

                yes, I saw that too, but the source code has been  converted to some non-compatible M$ variant Basic

                ~disappointed

              • Gene Buckle
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 19, 2010
                  On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Dan Roganti wrote:

                  > On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Christian Liendo <
                  > christian_liendo@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >> Did I miss the email on this?
                  >>

                  >> http://www.retrothing.com/2010/10/reissued-david-ahls-basic-computer-games.html
                  >>

                  > yes, I saw that too, but the source code has been converted to some
                  > non-compatible M$ variant Basic

                  So let me get this straight - a neat old book is freshened up to be used
                  with modern machines so kids can enjoy it, and all you can do is bitch?
                  THAT is disgusting.

                  g.

                  --
                  Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

                • Bill Degnan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 19, 2010
                    Do not dispair

                    Bill Degnan

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 19, 2010
                      On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Gene Buckle <geneb@...> wrote:

                      So let me get this straight - a neat old book is freshened up to be used
                      with modern machines so kids can enjoy it, and all you can do is bitch?
                      THAT is disgusting.

                      my are we on a touchy subject :)
                      As David Ahl always says so eloquently, "Why do we need another ...."
                      It's one thing to learn another programming language, but with just another derivative can it really be productive ?
                      Perhaps before enunciating an ignorant insinuation, lest you're fond of the obligatory
                      appendage in the futile posture, you might incorporate a level of comprehension.
                      I volunteer my time to teach Basic and C to kids these days, even on MicroControllers,
                      as part of a Robot Club that I organize here. So I don't need any of the fanfare
                      typically associated with supporting these M$ variants. Hell, our high school kids
                      already learn Java before they enter college, which is par for the course.

                      =Dan

                    • David
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 20, 2010
                        But he lives on via the web.