Holiday party

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 15, 2010
      This year's MARCH holiday party, a.k.a. "Vintage Computer Festivus", will happen December 11 at Infoage.

      The exact location on campus, and the availability of cottage space, is not yet decided. Other factors at Infoage are in play; so details will be announced later.

      Anyway, mark your calendars!

      As usual, our many "friends-of-MARCH" are also invited.

      Something different from our past parties: it's appropriate to give back to Infoage, since they give so much to us. Therefore all party-goers are asked to contribute $10. I expect we'll have at least 15-20 people throughout the party, so this will be a nice little gift to our museum host. MARCH itself will also contribute some.
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 18, 2010
        > This year's MARCH holiday party, a.k.a. "Vintage Computer Festivus", will happen December 11 at Infoage.

        Also: last year people seemed to enjoy having swap tables -- which
        doubles as an easy way to make your ten bucks back!
      • ysgdhio
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 29, 2010
          > > This year's MARCH holiday party, a.k.a. "Vintage Computer Festivus", will happen December 11 at Infoage.
          >
          > Also: last year people seemed to enjoy having swap tables --
          > which doubles as an easy way to make your ten bucks back!

          I'm cash poor, so anyone looking for anything in particular?

          I might be convinced to sell a complete Sony SMC-70 setup.
          I've also got a Sun Ultra-1 workstation *with* 20" monitor for sale.

          More importantly, who's coming to the holiday party?
          Sound off!

          Andy
        • Systems Glitch
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 29, 2010
            It looks like I might actually be getting a /real/ (not-selling-my-stuff-on-eBay) job in the next week, so as long as that comes out I'll try to make it down.

            Thanks,
            Jonathan

            On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 17:12:30 -0000
            "ysgdhio" <ysgdhio@...> wrote:

            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
            > > > This year's MARCH holiday party, a.k.a. "Vintage Computer Festivus", will happen December 11 at Infoage.
            > >
            > > Also: last year people seemed to enjoy having swap tables --
            > > which doubles as an easy way to make your ten bucks back!
            >
            > I'm cash poor, so anyone looking for anything in particular?
            >
            > I might be convinced to sell a complete Sony SMC-70 setup.
            > I've also got a Sun Ultra-1 workstation *with* 20" monitor for sale.
            >
            > More importantly, who's coming to the holiday party?
            > Sound off!
            >
            > Andy

          • Kelly D. Leavitt
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 29, 2010
              > More importantly, who's coming to the holiday party?
              > Sound off!
              > Andy
              Unfortunately, I cannot make it. Once again, I have 3 holiday parties to go to and they're all on the same day. I guess there really is only one weekend in December.

              The company party is a must go. Gourmet dinner, entertainment, prizes, etc.

              Kelly
            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 29, 2010
                > More importantly, who's coming to the holiday party?
                > Sound off!
                > Andy

                I have to extend my regrests, as well. Why does this event always
                fall on the same day as TubaChristmas? :-)

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              • Bill Degnan
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 29, 2010

                  > I'm cash poor, so anyone looking for anything in particular?
                  >
                  > I might be convinced to sell a complete Sony SMC-70 setup.
                  > I've also got a Sun Ultra-1 workstation *with* 20" monitor for sale.

                  hmmm...

                  > More importantly, who's coming to the holiday party?
                  > Sound off!

                  I will be there.

                  Bill Degnan
                • Bill Degnan
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 29, 2010

                    > I would also like to organize who will be bringing what for the party in
                    terms of food. Why because I keep bringing things that someone (some times
                    many people) already bought and brought. Who needs 1000 napkins ?

                    I don't know, the way some of you people eat..... :-)

                    > And I would like to have some sort of mini fix it session for fixing one
                    Commodore 64 and one 1541 drive. Someone said why fix it ? Just buy another
                    one; there are so many available and so cheap. So now I have a dozen of
                    each and maybe one working of each. I would like to learn how to fix them
                    for myself as well as fixing the ones that MARCH has for future selling.
                    One time we did an ad-hoc one the next afternoon, but we weren't fully
                    prepared and couldn't fix the 1541. Anyone onboard ?

                    I am!

                    I will bring my C64 repair gear, and some parts. I am not by any stretch a
                    certified CBM repairman, but I can try.

                    Bill
                  • Jeffrey Brace
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 29, 2010
                      I will be there, not sure what time yet. I have to run a holiday party for a bunch of Taekwondo kids, so I'm hoping it won't be scheduled for that day. I'm still waiting for the November/December schedule to be finalized.

                      I would like to bring hamburgers, charcoal and a grill (if we can't find one from Infoage like last time).

                      I would also like to organize who will be bringing what for the party in terms of food. Why because I keep bringing things that someone (some times many people) already bought and brought. Who needs 1000 napkins ?

                      And I would like to have some sort of mini fix it session for fixing one Commodore 64 and one 1541 drive. Someone said why fix it ? Just buy another one; there are so many available and so cheap.  So now I have a dozen of each and maybe one working of each. I would like to learn how to fix them for myself as well as fixing the ones that MARCH has for future selling. One time we did an ad-hoc one the next afternoon, but we weren't fully prepared and couldn't fix the 1541. Anyone onboard ?

                      Jeff B

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 29, 2010
                        > > This year's MARCH holiday party, a.k.a. "Vintage Computer Festivus", will happen December 11 at Infoage.
                        >
                        > Also: last year people seemed to enjoy having swap tables --
                        > which doubles as an easy way to make your ten bucks back!

                        I'm cash poor, so anyone looking for anything in particular?

                        I might be convinced to sell a complete Sony SMC-70 setup.
                        I've also got a Sun Ultra-1 workstation *with* 20" monitor for sale.

                        More importantly, who's coming to the holiday party?
                        Sound off!

                        Andy

                        WIfe and I are planning on making it, if at all humanly possible. What can we bring? She supports my hobby, can you beleive it? LOL

                        Greg & Sharon

                      • Jeffrey Brace
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 29, 2010

                          >I will bring my C64 repair gear, and some parts. I am not by any stretch a
                          >certified CBM repairman, but I can try.

                          Great Bill !

                          I have a diagnostic harness that will diagnosis much (but not all) problems. This cartridge won't work with problems where the video needs to work. I wish I could find that L.E.D. Diagnose 64, which doesn't require the video to work.

                          I also have some extra PLA chips that can be used. Not sure if I should try order some other common chips that go bad. Perhaps diagnose first then replace chips later ?

                          Jeff B

                        • Bill Degnan
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 29, 2010
                            Bill Degnan

                            > >I will bring my C64 repair gear, and some parts. I am not by any
                            stretch a

                            > >certified CBM repairman, but I can try.
                            > Great Bill !
                            > I have a diagnostic harness that will diagnosis much (but not all)
                            problems. This cartridge won't work with problems where the video needs to
                            work. I wish I could find that L.E.D. Diagnose 64, which doesn't require
                            the video to work.

                            > I also have some extra PLA chips that can be used. Not sure if I should
                            try order some other common chips that go bad. Perhaps diagnose first then
                            replace chips later ?

                            > Jeff B

                            \Bring common stuff like 7805 voltage regulators. If you look the board
                            over you can see what caps you might need. I will bring some of that
                            stuff, plus we have parts units on site.
                            bd
                          • Bryan Pope
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 30, 2010
                              On 10/29/2010 1:12 PM, ysgdhio wrote:
                              > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Evan Koblentz<evan@...> wrote:
                              >>> This year's MARCH holiday party, a.k.a. "Vintage Computer Festivus", will happen December 11 at Infoage.
                              >> Also: last year people seemed to enjoy having swap tables --
                              >> which doubles as an easy way to make your ten bucks back!
                              > I'm cash poor, so anyone looking for anything in particular?
                              >
                              > I might be convinced to sell a complete Sony SMC-70 setup.
                              > I've also got a Sun Ultra-1 workstation *with* 20" monitor for sale.
                              >
                              > More importantly, who's coming to the holiday party?
                              > Sound off!
                              I plan on attending this soiree!

                              Cheers,

                              Bryan
                            • mattmik
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 30, 2010
                                I may or may not be able to attend. I might be in the city on December 11th. :/