IBM PC 5150 Cleaning

  • MattMik
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 15, 2010
      Hey guys!

      So I plan on cleaning my 5150 tomorrow. I've never cleaned a vintage computer before, so I was wondering if there's anything specific I need to know. Any tips or advice are welcome!

      Should I use compressed air? I was planning on using some foam swabs or cotton swabs, too. Is liquid solution necessary? I've heard that Soft Scrub can be used to clean the exterior of the case.

      Thanks!
      -Matt
    • Systems Glitch
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 15, 2010
        Last time I cleaned my PC/XT top-to-bottom, I stripped the case completely and washed it in the sink. The motherboard got compressed air treatment, with cotton swabs dipped in 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean off corrosion/dripmarks of unknown origin. The ribbon cables to the floppy drive/hard drive were filthy, and got a run through the dishwasher, which worked really well.

        I think I also opened up the power supply and dusted the inside...with the baffled airflow in the XT (fan on the top, air louvers in the back) it was difficult to clean the heatsink surfaces.

        Just make sure you don't lose the original IBM hex-head screws. It's a pain to find new ones!

        Thanks,
        Jonathan

        On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 20:28:30 -0000
        "MattMik" <mikolaym@...> wrote:

        > Hey guys!
        >
        > So I plan on cleaning my 5150 tomorrow. I've never cleaned a vintage computer before, so I was wondering if there's anything specific I need to know. Any tips or advice are welcome!
        >
        > Should I use compressed air? I was planning on using some foam swabs or cotton swabs, too. Is liquid solution necessary? I've heard that Soft Scrub can be used to clean the exterior of the case.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > -Matt

      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 15, 2010
          Matt,

          OK.

          1. First open the system, take photos of the cables and switch settings so
          that you can put things back together again
          2. Remove the drives. There may be screws on the bottom as well as the
          side, don't force the drives out
          3. Remove the controller cards. Make note of their slots and cabling so
          you can put them back as they were.
          4. Unhook the power connector from the motherboard
          4.5 remove the power supply.
          5. The motherboard comes out rel. easily, note that there are plastic
          risers holding it in place, it will slide out under the drive bay.

          put all the pieces in/on anti-static material.

          6. vaccum the chassis
          7. use soap and water (with a little CLR if there is rust) to scrub out
          the inside of the chassis. If it's really dirty, use a magic eraser pad.
          This may be the only time that anyone has removed the cards and drives
          since it was assembled.
          8. use compressed air or a vaccum to carefully remove dust from the cards
          and motherboard

          9.. If needed, use a very very mild solution of water and soap to clean the
          cards and otherboard, it won't hurt the components to get them a little
          wet. I suggest you use a q-tip to really get in there and remove all of
          the dirt, dipping the q tip in the mildly soapy water and cleaning out the
          boards until the tip is black, then get another q-tip. Use the other end
          of the q-tip to dry where you have cleaned. You can potentially go through
          50 q-tips this way, but it will pay off when you're done.

          10. Use d-oxit on the controller card contacts

          11. make sure everything dries within 2 hours.

          12. Use 90%+ isopropyl alcohol to clean the drive heads, after you have
          vaccumed, and blown out the dust. If you can remove the controller from
          each drive you can get in there better.

          13. Clean the outside of the chassis with soap and water, dry, then use a
          magic eraser pad. rinse, re-dry.

          14. re-assemble the system and send us before and after pics

          have fun.

          NOTE: I can usually whip through a 5150 cleaning in about 2 hours. I have
          restored systems that appeared unsavable with rust and crud on them, the
          IBM's are hearty.

          Bill Degnan

          > So I plan on cleaning my 5150 tomorrow. I've never cleaned a vintage
          computer before, so I was wondering if there's anything specific I need to
          know. Any tips or advice are welcome!

          > Should I use compressed air? I was planning on using some foam swabs or
          cotton swabs, too. Is liquid solution necessary? I've heard that Soft Scrub
          can be used to clean the exterior of the case.

          > Thanks!
          > -Matt

        • MattMik
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 16, 2010
            Thanks for the responses! Very helpful! I will be gathering my cleaning materials and starting the process soon. I'll post to the group once I finish!

            Thanks!
            -Matt
          • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 16, 2010
              "MattMik" <mikolaym@...> writes:

              >Thanks for the responses! Very helpful! I will be gathering my cleaning mat=
              >erials and starting the process soon. I'll post to the group once I finish!

              The first thing I would do would be to clean any and all disgusting M$
              software off of its disk drive! ;)