Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Mark-8 front panel

  • David Larsen
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 14, 2010
      Hi Jack : Nice to hear about he books - I am collecting comments from
      book users for future use - maybe in our museum of the future. Would you mind making a few comments on how the books were useful ?  I have a comment page on the www.bugbookcomputermuseum.com site or you just email here if convent.
      Thank you - Dave
      ; Nice o

      I've still a got a stack of BugBooks and Blackburg Continuing Ed texts; thanks very much!

      Roy Justus is well known in the CoCo (Radio Shack TRS-80 Color Computer) for his VGA interface. Nice guy, great work and wonderful to deal with.

      Now we've got another reason to head down to the Blue Ridge country.

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "kk4ww" <floydlcfgroup@...> wrote:
      > Hi : Very interesting about the Mark 8. Jon Titus and I worked together for about 12 years as the Blacksburg Group in Blacksburg Virginia along with his brother Chris. Jon designed the Mark 8 just before our group formed. We did lots of projects around digital electronics and microcomputers including the book series "The Blacksburg Continuing Education Series". About 75 or so books we produced and published by Howard W. Sams. The start of all this was the Bugbooks which I was also involved with.
      > I have 5 or 6 original versions of Jon's Mark 8. This post refers to a replica -- I have a really nice replica of the Mark 8 of Jon's that is now in the Smithsonian. This is very close to exact copy in all respects and was made by Roy Justus of Christiansburg. Roy called one day a couple of years ago and told me he had made this Mark 8 copy and wanted me to have it and put in our LCF Historical collection - Also known as the Bugbook Computer Museum. I was surprised how much work he had put in this project and the computer even works. Roy was a student of mine for a class at Virginia Tech where I was a faculty member for 31 years. I retired in 1998 so that gives away my age. Here is a link to the video about Roy Justus's Mark 8.
      > http://tinyurl.com/33c8av6
      > If this does not work you can go to the play list on my channel and look at the few videos from my collection. www.ourcyberbusiness.net
      > the Mark 8 is also their.
      > Jon Titus and I have contact every couple of months and we talk about old times.
      > David Larsen
      > > Well, a replica. Still nice!
      > >
      > > It's another favor from Jon Titus to MARCH. This one was given to him by the maker of a Mark-8 replica a few years ago. Jon once again declined to make us a "new" Mark-8 anytime soon -- he joked that "it was hard enough to make the first one!" -- but he asked if we'd want this panel.
      > >
      > > Want to see it in person? Get your lazy tuckus(es) to Infoage. :)

      David Larsen
      LCF Group, Floyd Virginia
      Floyd Professional Center