Moral Dilema. RE: Mark 8

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 14, 2010
      OK..
      So all this talk about the Mark 8 had me doing some research and there is an old dead link on Wikipedia. http://www.his.com/~jlewczyk/adavie/mark8b.html

      So I look it up on Archive.org and it's here.

      http://web.archive.org/web/20070501034423/http://www.his.com/~jlewczyk/adavie/mark8b.html

      It's a really great site.. But no one will ever see it because you have to go to archive to find it.

      Would it be wrong to download it and put it on my site as long as I give credit to the people who originally wrote it?

      I am finding more and more sites that no one cares about anymore. In the same way as we rescue a machine, can we rescue a wesbite?

      Another case is reputable.com. They have a great SGI Indy website and they are going to sell the domain name. I have Brian talking with the owner to save the site and re-host on his machine. In this case we are talking to the owner, I cannot find the owner of the 1st website. There is another name in the website doug@... and that site it working. I may e-mail him
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 14, 2010
        >>> Would it be wrong to download it and put it on my site as long as I give credit to the people who originally wrote it?

        Short answer: it would be wrong. Maybe the owner took it down for a reason. It's not up to you to decide to put it back.

        However I bet you can find the owner. Three reasons: 1., I think I know the guy. :) 2., even if I'm wrong, the site also gives copyright to Jon personally, who is always helpful and friendly. 3., Doug is also a friendly person.

        I'll contact Andrew Davie (who I think owns the site) and inquire on your behalf.

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 14, 2010
          That would be great because if you look it's quotes by Jon Titus himself. I would hate to lose that..

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 14, 2010
            Chris: you're all set. Republish!

            Turns out the site owner was, in fact, the same Andrew Davie who I
            bought a vintage laptop from a few years ago.

            He told Jon: "I have absolutely no problem with you placing the
            page/site anywhere you wish."

            Jon copied that message to me, and added: "You can post them as you wish."

            He even sent me a .zip file with the entire site. I'll forward that to
            you privately.

            You're welcome. :)
          • Christian Liendo
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 14, 2010
              I'm glad because that website is really really nice...

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 14, 2010
                Hi Christain : Really glad you found the Mark 8 site with all the discussion from Jon Titus.  I have a hard copy of it and it is good to keep this out for folks to see.  I worked with Jon about 12 years or so and he was really a very good designer perceptive about circuits.  He received his PhD in my department (Chemistry) at Virginia Tech about 1975 or so.  He did his whole career in the electronics field and I think he still does some consulting. He deserves all the credit for being one of the first to build his own microcomputer and share it with anyone interested.  Those that would like to see a video about one of Jon's original Mark 8's I made last year can see it here

                http://tinyurl.com/36cnxzb

                Regards. Dave

                --
                David Larsen