Mark-8 front panel

    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 13, 2010
      Well, a replica. Still nice!

      It's another favor from Jon Titus to MARCH. This one was given to him by the maker of a Mark-8 replica a few years ago. Jon once again declined to make us a "new" Mark-8 anytime soon -- he joked that "it was hard enough to make the first one!" -- but he asked if we'd want this panel.

      Want to see it in person? Get your lazy tuckus(es) to Infoage. :)
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 13, 2010
        "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

        >Want to see it in person? Get your lazy tuckus(es) to Infoage. :)

        I suppose now is as good a time as any to ask....

        I mentioned the Haunted Hike and my 11 yr. old wants to go. I'd like to
        show my kid and my wife what's going on in terms of the MARCH museum too.
        I can't get there this weekend as we're going to be visiting with my son
        at Penn State. So, is there any time the following weekend when it would
        be possible to scare 'em and educate 'em at the same time?

        If not, I would like to schedule a time to get the DECtape rack (at least
        the DECtape rack) dropped off there? I realize it's probably very hectic
        there with the the Haunted Hike, so please advise.
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 13, 2010
          On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
          Well, a replica. Still nice!

          It's another favor from Jon Titus to MARCH. This one was given to him by the maker of a Mark-8 replica a few years ago. Jon once again declined to make us a "new" Mark-8 anytime soon -- he joked that "it was hard enough to make the first one!" -- but he asked if we'd want this panel.

          Want to see it in person? Get your lazy tuckus(es) to Infoage.  :)

          you mean he has the parts to build one for MARCH ?
          Hell, I'll build it - that's easy !!

          =Dan
        • kk4ww
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 13, 2010
            Hi : Very interesting about the Mark 8. Jon Titus and I worked together for about 12 years as the Blacksburg Group in Blacksburg Virginia along with his brother Chris. Jon designed the Mark 8 just before our group formed. We did lots of projects around digital electronics and microcomputers including the book series "The Blacksburg Continuing Education Series". About 75 or so books we produced and published by Howard W. Sams. The start of all this was the Bugbooks which I was also involved with.

            I have 5 or 6 original versions of Jon's Mark 8. This post refers to a replica -- I have a really nice replica of the Mark 8 of Jon's that is now in the Smithsonian. This is very close to exact copy in all respects and was made by Roy Justus of Christiansburg. Roy called one day a couple of years ago and told me he had made this Mark 8 copy and wanted me to have it and put in our LCF Historical collection - Also known as the Bugbook Computer Museum. I was surprised how much work he had put in this project and the computer even works. Roy was a student of mine for a class at Virginia Tech where I was a faculty member for 31 years. I retired in 1998 so that gives away my age. Here is a link to the video about Roy Justus's Mark 8.

            http://tinyurl.com/33c8av6

            If this does not work you can go to the play list on my channel and look at the few videos from my collection. www.ourcyberbusiness.net
            the Mark 8 is also their.

            Jon Titus and I have contact every couple of months and we talk about old times.
            David Larsen

            > Well, a replica. Still nice!
            >
            > It's another favor from Jon Titus to MARCH. This one was given to him by the maker of a Mark-8 replica a few years ago. Jon once again declined to make us a "new" Mark-8 anytime soon -- he joked that "it was hard enough to make the first one!" -- but he asked if we'd want this panel.
            >
            > Want to see it in person? Get your lazy tuckus(es) to Infoage. :)

          • Systems Glitch
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 13, 2010
              I had no idea there was a Bugbook computer museum...you'd think with being at Virginia Tech for five years /and/ minoring in CS /and/ using the 8080/8085 Assembly Bugbook to build up an 8085-based computer, it would've surfaced at some point!

              Anyhow, I was introduced to the Bugbooks by Al Witherspoon, who claimed to have had some interaction with the Blacksburg Group (it's hard to tell if that's true). He and his father, Carl Witherspoon, used to produced silkscreened front panels in their basement on Mason Drive in Blacksburg for both university projects and local private companies. Al claimed to have attempted a Mark-8 with a highschool friend of his after they abandoned some old vacuum tube analog computer they'd gotten surplus. No idea if it exists today...

              Someone on eBay was offering new-made Mark-8 boards, including the original errors, a few years back. Perhaps something like that's an option for getting MARCH a working Mark-8, even if it's a replica.

              Ut Prosim,
              Jonathan

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 13, 2010

                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 13, 2010
                  I'll email you when I get home later tonight.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 13, 2010
                    It's nice to hear that you're still around. I used many of these books back in the day, and still kept many of them, everything from the 8080, 6502 books to the TRS-80, Apple II and more. It was great learning from this, I'll never forget it.

                    I hope you can make it to the next VCF, you might as well be invited to put on a lecture.
                    Evan !!

                    =Dan

                    On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 4:37 PM, kk4ww <floydlcfgroup@...> wrote:
[...]

                  • David Larsen
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 13, 2010
                      Hi Dan: Yes - happy to say I am still around but have not been to active after retiring from Virginia Tech. Always continued the collecting of microcomputer things and still get several calls or emails a month about something being offered to us.  Our collection is not on display and we don't have visitors for it as a general thing. I have it in a good controlled building and all inventoried on paper and packed with guide to locate each item.  We are just in the  process of putting the inventory on professional museum software called "Pastperfect" . This will take a long time as can't put a person on this full time. This is the first real step to getting a real museum.  We are working toward a museum here in Floyd however it has been on the list for 20 or so years.  I need to get going on it soon or I will not make it -- someone will if I don't.

                      Thanks for the kind comments about the books. They were a help to so many folks during the early years of digital electronics and microcomputers and it is always nice to hear from users of the books.
                      I would really like to come to the VCF however this is the same date as the Dayton Hamvention and we have been going to it with our Foundation for Amateur International Radio Service for the past 20 years or so.  I do have hope to make the VCF soon.  My wife and I went to the meeting Ismal put on out California about 5 years ago and really enjoyed it.

                      David.

                      --
                      David Larsen
                      LCF Group, Floyd Virginia
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 13, 2010
                        > I suppose now is as good a time as any to ask....
                        >
                        > I mentioned the Haunted Hike and my 11 yr. old wants to go. I'd like to show my kid and my wife what's going on in terms of the MARCH museum too. I can't get there this weekend as we're going to be visiting with my son at Penn State. So, is there any time the following weekend when it would be possible to scare 'em and educate 'em at the same time?
                        >
                        > If not, I would like to schedule a time to get the DECtape rack (at least the DECtape rack) dropped off there? I realize it's probably very hectic there with the the Haunted Hike, so please advise.

                        Hello --

                        This weekend's no good for me either.

                        Halloween event starts at 7pm every Fri./Sat. until Oct. 30 (they may
                        cancel this Fri. night if there's a major storm.) I can be around in
                        the late afternoon 1.5 weeks from now (Oct. 22/23) if you are definitely
                        coming, then you can join in the Halloween event when it opens at 7. (I
                        don't want to commit to any later-in-the-evening hours, in case there's
                        a Yankees playoff game those nights. Priorities, you know!)

                        I'd like to hold off on the DEC gear for at least another month or so.
                        Things should settle down by then with various InfoAge issues and with
                        my own schedule. If you must move it before then, we can work something
                        out, it's just more tedious.
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 13, 2010

                          >> is there any time the following weekend when it would be possible to
                          >> scare 'em and educate 'em at the same time?
                          >>
                          >> If not, I would like to schedule a time to get the DECtape rack (at
                          >> least the DECtape rack) dropped off there? I realize it's probably
                          >> very hectic there with the the Haunted Hike, so please advise.
                          >
                          > Hello --

                          Crap, I meant to reply to him off-list .... sorry! (Must be
                          contagious!) :)
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 13, 2010
                            > Hi : Very interesting about the Mark 8. Jon Titus and I worked together for about 12 years .....

                            David:

                            Very glad to see you on our list! Perhaps you can get that working
                            replica our of the Smithsonian and into * our * museum where we'll
                            actually use and demonstration it for visitors. Alternatively, perhaps
                            we can ask your former student to build one for us, too.

                            Ping me off-list if you'd like to visit us sometime.

                            - Evan
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 13, 2010
                              > I hope you can make it to the next VCF, you might as well be invited
                              > to put on a lecture.
                              > Evan !!

                              Yes. David: Perhaps you can attend in person, and we can Skype in Jon?
                              Please think about it and let me know off-list. Our next event. VCF
                              East 7.0, is May 14-15 next year at our museum (on the NJ shore.)
                            • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 14, 2010
                                Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

                                >> I suppose now is as good a time as any to ask....
                                >>
                                > I mentioned the Haunted Hike and my 11 yr. old wants to go. I'd like to show my kid and my wife what's going on in terms of the MARCH museum too. I can't get there this weekend as we're going to be visiting with my son at Penn State. So, is there any
                                >>
                                >> If not, I would like to schedule a time to get the DECtape rack (at least the DECtape rack) dropped off there? I realize it's probably very hectic there with the the Haunted Hike, so please advise.
                                >
                                >Hello --
                                >
                                >This weekend's no good for me either.
                                >
                                >Halloween event starts at 7pm every Fri./Sat. until Oct. 30 (they may
                                >cancel this Fri. night if there's a major storm.) I can be around in
                                >the late afternoon 1.5 weeks from now (Oct. 22/23) if you are definitely
                                >coming, then you can join in the Halloween event when it opens at 7. (I
                                >don't want to commit to any later-in-the-evening hours, in case there's
                                >a Yankees playoff game those nights. Priorities, you know!)

                                We're hoping not. ;)

                                I'll bring this up again next week then.

                                >I'd like to hold off on the DEC gear for at least another month or so.
                                >Things should settle down by then with various InfoAge issues and with
                                >my own schedule. If you must move it before then, we can work something
                                >out, it's just more tedious.

                                OK. It's all in my garage at the moment which is not an ideal place for
                                this old kit.
                              • kk4ww
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 14, 2010
                                  Hi Evan: I do hope to do some loaning of things from my
                                  collection and this Mark 8 is possible. I am not set up to do much now but moving in that direction. I operate several businesses here in Floyd Virginia so very busy and also our Radio Foundation from here www.fairs.org . I do have several great ladies that work with me and we are starting to enter the collection inventory into the musuem software "Pastperfect" .
                                  David

                                  > > Hi : Very interesting about the Mark 8. Jon Titus and I worked together for about 12 years .....
                                  >
                                  > David:
                                  >
                                  > Very glad to see you on our list! Perhaps you can get that working
                                  > replica our of the Smithsonian and into * our * museum where we'll
                                  > actually use and demonstration it for visitors. Alternatively, perhaps
                                  > we can ask your former student to build one for us, too.
                                  >
                                  > Ping me off-list if you'd like to visit us sometime.
                                  >
                                  > - Evan

                                • jack99rubin
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 14, 2010
                                    David,

                                    I've still a got a stack of BugBooks and Blackburg Continuing Ed texts; thanks very much!

                                    Roy Justus is well known in the CoCo (Radio Shack TRS-80 Color Computer) for his VGA interface. Nice guy, great work and wonderful to deal with.

                                    Now we've got another reason to head down to the Blue Ridge country.

                                    best,
                                    Jack

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 14, 2010
                                      Hi Jack : Nice to hear about he books - I am collecting comments from
                                      book users for future use - maybe in our museum of the future. Would you mind making a few comments on how the books were useful ?  I have a comment page on the www.bugbookcomputermuseum.com site or you just email here if convent.
                                      Thank you - Dave
                                      ; Nice o