Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Panasonic Toughbook CF-45 monitor

  • John Allain
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
      Windows 95 should run nicely on a Pentium 60 - 200 Mhz
      with 16 - 64 MB of memory and 100 - 400 MB of disk.
      Such a machine in a laptop should be about $50 complete.

      Look for other factors important to this computer, like what
      needs to be used with it, like PCMCIA cards, too.

      John A.
    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
        thats correct John, about 50 clams. And why this
        teacher person has created so much stress over it is
        beyond me.
        --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        <allain@...> wrote:
        > Windows 95 should run nicely on a Pentium 60 - 200
        Mhz
        > with 16 - 64 MB of memory and 100 - 400 MB of disk.
        > Such a machine in a laptop should be about $50
        complete.

        > Look for other factors important to this computer,
        like what
        > needs to be used with it, like PCMCIA cards, too.
        >
        > John A.

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
      • Joe Giliberti
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
          John Allain wrote:
          Windows 95 should run nicely on a Pentium 60 - 200 Mhz
          with 16 - 64 MB of memory and 100 - 400 MB of disk.
          Such a machine in a laptop should be about $50 complete.

          Look for other factors important to this computer, like what
          needs to be used with it, like PCMCIA cards, too.

          John A.

          Just need a laptop w/ at least a 200MHz processor, 32 MB RAM, 500MB HDD, a CD Drive, and 1 9 pin serial port. Should be cheap. Just didn't really want to but one. I posted on my local Freecycle for a laptop with those specs.

        • Joe Giliberti
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
            Chris M wrote:

            >thats correct John, about 50 clams. And why this
            >teacher person has created so much stress over it is
            >beyond me.

            Because it is borrowed from a close friend. It isn't his
          • John Allain
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
              > thats correct John, about 50 clams. And why this
              > teacher person has created so much stress over it is
              > beyond me.

              him:
              Used computers? There are no used computers.
              and a new one costs at least 500 dollars and will
              only run XP and that wont work.

              by the way, for a quick look, locate a local
              'Computer Rennaisance' store.

              John A.
            • Chris M
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
                but it only remains for the teacher or friend or
                whoever to get a parts machine (if hes that devoted to
                the blooming thing) and put in the new screen. Its not
                that hard. I have broken down Thinkpads of similar
                vintage to their basic molecular structure,
                reassembled them, and was frequently amazed when they
                still worked. Besides the keyboards, the screen is
                probably the easiest thing to replace.