RE: [midatlanticretro] OT: Risk tournament

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010
      Risk has nothing to do with retro computers, therefore that is why it is Off Topic. But I would say some of us have an interest in this game. Much the same way many of us have an interest in science fiction (tv, movies, books etc.), and cult fiction (monty python).

      Risk is the game of global domination. You have armies and you attack other player's countries with the goal of owning the whole world.

      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      From: system@...
      Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 06:39:34 -0400
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Risk tournament

      Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> writes:

      >Well they have three hour time limits on the games, so that it doesn't go o=
      >n forever.

      I've never played Risk (what all this has to do with retro-computers I'll
      never figure); however, if games of Risk perpetuate like the other Parker
      Brother's board game with the goal of acquiring Atlantic City real-estate
      and facetiously known as "Monotony", I'll pass. ;)

      How about a nice game of chess?

      =20

      =20=20

      =20=20=20=20
      =20=20=20=20=20=20
      =20=20=20=20=20=20
      Back in the day, you had to schedule more time for a risk tournament =
      than an acid
      trip.=20=20
      bs=20

      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010
        Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> writes:

        >Risk has nothing to do with retro computers, therefore that is why it is Of=
        >f Topic. But I would say some of us have an interest in this game. Much the=
        > same way many of us have an interest in science fiction (tv, movies, books=
        > etc.), and cult fiction (monty python).

        Good Sci-Fi but very little has been produced in the past few decades. I'm
        a big Monty Python fan though. ;)

        >Risk is the game of global domination. You have armies and you attack other=
        > player's countries with the goal of owning the whole world.

        "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" -- Tears For Fears
      • Jeffrey Brace
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010
          Babylon 5 rules !

          Love the hitchhiker guide series !

          Stargate SG 1 !

          To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
          From: system@...
          Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 11:28:42 -0400

          Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> writes:

          >Risk has nothing to do with retro computers, therefore that is why it is Of=
          >f Topic. But I would say some of us have an interest in this game. Much the=
          > same way many of us have an interest in science fiction (tv, movies, books=
          > etc.), and cult fiction (monty python).

          Good Sci-Fi but very little has been produced in the past few decades. I'm
          a big Monty Python fan though. ;)

          >Risk is the game of global domination. You have armies and you attack other=
          > player's countries with the goal of owning the whole world.

          "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" -- Tears For Fears

        • ysgdhio
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010
            Wow, this thread has skidded off the rails and is currently barrelling down the cliff...

            Maybe we should plan a M.U.L.E. tournament.

            Andy
          • Justin Jernigan
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010
              I vote for Empire.

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Oct 5, 2010, at 2:22 PM, "ysgdhio" <ysgdhio@...> wrote:

              Wow, this thread has skidded off the rails and is currently barrelling down the cliff...

              Maybe we should plan a M.U.L.E. tournament.

              Andy

            • Jeffrey Frady
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010
                Shall we play a game?

                -Joshua

                --
                See you space cowboy...
              • Christopher Blackmon
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010
                  Netrek!  :-)

                  Christopher.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010
                    > I would be up for any type of game that I know how to play. If we have
                    > a Winter party perhaps we can do it at that time?

                    ^^^^^ Most intelligent comment in this thread thus far.
                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010
                      On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> wrote:

                      I would be up for any type of game that I know how to play. If we have a Winter party perhaps we can do it at that time ?

                      Jeff,

                      I wont make it to the Winter Party. How about you setup the C64 network too and run Artillery Duel. I'll challenge anyone from here at home :)

                      =Dan
                    • Jeffrey Brace
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010

                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010
                          Sounds like a plan ! As long as I have ethernet access wherever we have it. ;)

                          To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 6, 2010
                            Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> writes:

                            >Sounds like a plan ! As long as I have ethernet access wherever we have it.=
                            > ;)

                            Ethernet? or Internet?
                          • Dan Roganti
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 6, 2010

                              On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 6:56 AM, <system@...> wrote:
                              Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> writes:

                              >Sounds like a plan ! As long as I have ethernet access wherever we have it.=
                              > ;)

                              Ethernet? or Internet?

                              What's it going to take to get a Lan connection in there, at least for the VCF Hall. You know you can safely string a cat5 cable upto 100m.

                              =Dan

                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 6, 2010
                                >>> What's it going to take to get a Lan connection in there, at least for the VCF Hall. You know you can safely string a cat5 cable upto 100m.

                                Infoage has (almost) respectable wifi these days. Emphasis on "almost" but we'll rig up something -- don't forget how well it worked for the first hour of Chuck Peddle's lecture!

                                No need to worry about it now.

                                Ps - I'm skipping the infoage meeting tonight, but I'll report back to ya'll soon about possible weekends for our holiday party.
                              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 6, 2010
                                  Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

                                  >What's it going to take to get a Lan connection in there, at least for the
                                  >VCF Hall. You know you can safely string a cat5 cable upto 100m.

                                  100m from where? BTW, 100m is pushing the envelope with interstitial
                                  packet delay times on the best CAT cabling. Fiber might be the better
                                  choice depending upon where the terminus points are located.