OT: Risk tournament

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 3, 2010
      I'm not sure how many people here play Risk, but I thought some might be interested in an upcoming Risk tournament in Bethlehem, PA. Details are here: http://www.annualriskclassic.com/. I'm going. Let me know if anyone else is interested. I have gone there in the past when it was run by a different guy. It's a lot of fun.
    • Jeffrey Frady
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 3, 2010
        Thanks for sharing!  We should have a game of Risk at InfoAge sometime.

        --
        See you space cowboy...
      • Bob Schwier
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 4, 2010
          Back in the day, you had to schedule more time for a risk tournament than an acid
          trip.
          bs

        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 4, 2010
            Bob Schwier <schwepes2002@...> writes:

            >Back in the day, you had to schedule more time for a risk tournament than a=
            >n acid
            >trip.=C2=A0=20

            You must have been getting the lightweight acid.
          • Bob Schwier
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 4, 2010

              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 4, 2010
                Well they have three hour time limits on the games, so that it doesn't go on forever.

                To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                From: schwepes2002@...
                Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 13:48:29 -0700

                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010
                  Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> writes:

                  >Well they have three hour time limits on the games, so that it doesn't go o=
                  >n forever.

                  I've never played Risk (what all this has to do with retro-computers I'll
                  never figure); however, if games of Risk perpetuate like the other Parker
                  Brother's board game with the goal of acquiring Atlantic City real-estate
                  and facetiously known as "Monotony", I'll pass. ;)

                  How about a nice game of chess?

                  =20

                  =20=20

                  =20=20=20=20
                  =20=20=20=20=20=20
                  =20=20=20=20=20=20
                  Back in the day, you had to schedule more time for a risk tournament =
                  than an acid
                  trip.=20=20
                  bs=20

                  Thanks for sharing! We should have a game of Risk at InfoAge sometim=
                  e.

                  On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 12:37 AM, Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> wrote:

                  =20

                  =20=20

                  =20=20=20=20
                  =20=20=20=20=20=20
                  =20=20=20=20=20=20
                  =20=20=20=20=20=20

                  I'm not sure how many people here play Risk, but I thought some might be in=
                  terested in an upcoming Risk tournament in Bethlehem, PA. Details are here:=
                  http://www.annualriskclassic.com/. I'm going. Let me know if anyone else i=
                  s interested. I have gone there in the past when it was run by a different =
                  guy. It's a lot of fun.

                  =20=09=09=20=09=20=20=20=09=09=20=20

                  =20=20=20=20
                  =20=20=20=20=20

                  =20=20=20=20
                  =20=20=20=20

                  =20=20

                  --=20
                  See you space cowboy...

                  =20=20=20=20
                  =20=20=20=20=20

                  =20

                  =20=20=20=20=20=20

                  =20=20=20=20
                  =20=20=20=20=20

                  =20=20=20=20
                  =20=20=20=20

                  =20=20=20=09=09=20=09=20=20=20=09=09=20=20
                  --_f190d0cd-23eb-455d-9bfa-927f12f298d1_

                  <head>
                  </head>

                  <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStartT|**|-~-->
                  <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEndT|**|-~-->

                  I'm not sure how many people here play Risk, but I thought some might be interested in an upcoming Risk tournament in Bethlehem, PA. Details are here: <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.annualriskclassic.com/" target="_blank">http://www.annualriskclassic.

                  <BR>

                  <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-~-->
                  <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~-->

                  <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-~-->
                  <head>
                  <!--
                  #ygrp-mkp {
                  border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;
                  font-family: Arial;
                  margin: 10px 0;
                  padding: 0 10px;
                  }

                  #ygrp-mkp hr {
                  border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;
                  }

                  #ygrp-mkp #hd {
                  color: #628c2a;
                  font-size: 85%;
                  font-weight: 700;
                  line-height: 122%;
                  margin: 10px 0;
                  }

                  #ygrp-mkp #ads {
                  margin-bottom: 10px;
                  }

                  #ygrp-mkp .ad {
                  padding: 0 0;
                  }

                  #ygrp-mkp .ad p {
                  margin: 0;
                  }

                  #ygrp-mkp .ad a {
                  color: #0000ff;
                  text-decoration: none;
                  }
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc {
                  font-family: Arial;
                  }

                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd {
                  margin: 10px 0px;
                  font-weight: 700;
                  font-size: 78%;
                  line-height: 122%;
                  }

                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad {
                  margin-bottom: 10px;
                  padding: 0 0;
                  }

                  a {
                  color: #1e66ae;
                  }

                  #actions {
                  font-family: Verdana;
                  font-size: 11px;
                  padding: 10px 0;
                  }

                  #activity {
                  background-color: #e0ecee;
                  float: left;
                  font-family: Verdana;
                  font-size: 10px;
                  padding: 10px;
                  }

                  #activity span {
                  font-weight: 700;
                  }

                  #activity span:first-child {
                  text-transform: uppercase;
                  }

                  #activity span a {
                  color: #5085b6;
                  text-decoration: none;
                  }

                  #activity span span {
                  color: #ff7900;
                  }

                  #activity span .underline {
                  text-decoration: underline;
                  }

                  .attach {
                  clear: both;
                  display: table;
                  font-family: Arial;
                  font-size: 12px;
                  padding: 10px 0;
                  width: 400px;
                  }

                  .attach div a {
                  text-decoration: none;
                  }

                  .attach img {
                  border: none;
                  padding-right: 5px;
                  }

                  .attach label {
                  display: block;
                  margin-bottom: 5px;
                  }

                  .attach label a {
                  text-decoration: none;
                  }

                  blockquote {
                  margin: 0 0 0 4px;
                  }

                  .bold {
                  font-family: Arial;
                  font-size: 13px;
                  font-weight: 700;
                  }

                  .bold a {
                  text-decoration: none;
                  }

                  dd.last p a {
                  font-family: Verdana;
                  font-weight: 700;
                  }

                  dd.last p span {
                  margin-right: 10px;
                  font-family: Verdana;
                  font-weight: 700;
                  }

                  dd.last p span.yshortcuts {
                  margin-right: 0;
                  }

                  div.attach-table div div a {
                  text-decoration: none;
                  }

                  div.attach-table {
                  width: 400px;
                  }

                  div.file-title a, div.file-title a:active, div.file-title a:hover, div.file-title a:visited {
                  text-decoration: none;
                  }

                  div.photo-title a, div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title a:visited {
                  text-decoration: none;
                  }

                  div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts {
                  font-family: Verdana;
                  font-size: 10px;
                  font-weight: normal;
                  }

                  .green {
                  color: #628c2a;
                  }

                  .MsoNormal {
                  margin: 0 0 0 0;
                  }

                  o {
                  font-size: 0;
                  }

                  #photos div {
                  float: left;
                  width: 72px;
                  }

                  #photos div div {
                  border: 1px solid #666666;
                  height: 62px;
                  overflow: hidden;
                  width: 62px;
                  }

                  #photos div label {
                  color: #666666;
                  font-size: 10px;
                  overflow: hidden;
                  text-align: center;
                  white-space: nowrap;
                  width: 64px;
                  }

                  #reco-category {
                  font-size: 77%;
                  }

                  #reco-desc {
                  font-size: 77%;
                  }

                  .replbq {
                  margin: 4px;
                  }

                  #ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
                  /* border-right: 0px solid #000;*/
                  margin-right: 2px;
                  padding-right: 5px;
                  }

                  #ygrp-mlmsg {
                  font-size: 13px;
                  font-family: Arial, helvetica,clean, sans-serif;
                  *font-size: small;
                  *font: x-small;
                  }

                  #ygrp-mlmsg table {
                  font-size: inherit;
                  font: 100%;
                  }

                  #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {
                  font: 99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;
                  }

                  #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code {
                  font:115% monospace;
                  *font-size:100%;
                  }

                  #ygrp-mlmsg * {
                  line-height: 1.22em;
                  }

                  #ygrp-mlmsg #logo {
                  padding-bottom: 10px;
                  }

                  #ygrp-mlmsg a {
                  color: #1E66AE;
                  }

                  #ygrp-msg p a {
                  font-family: Verdana;
                  }

                  #ygrp-msg p#attach-count span {
                  color: #1E66AE;
                  font-weight: 700;
                  }

                  #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
                  color: #ff7900;
                  font-weight: 700;
                  }

                  #ygrp-reco {
                  margin-bottom: 20px;
                  padding: 0px;
                  }

                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a {
                  font-size: 130%;
                  text-decoration: none;
                  }

                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li {
                  font-size: 77%;
                  list-style-type: square;
                  padding: 6px 0;
                  }

                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul {
                  margin: 0;
                  padding: 0 0 0 8px;
                  }

                  #ygrp-text {
                  font-family: Georgia;
                  }

                  #ygrp-text p {
                  margin: 0 0 1em 0;
                  }

                  #ygrp-text tt {
                  font-size: 120%;
                  }

                  #ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
                  border-right: none !important;
                  }
                  -->
                  </head>

                  <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~-->
                  <!-- end group email -->

                  --_f190d0cd-23eb-455d-9bfa-927f12f298d1_--
                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010
                    On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 6:39 AM, <system@...> wrote:
                    Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> writes:

                    >Well they have three hour time limits on the games, so that it doesn't go o=
                    >n forever.

                    I've never played Risk (what all this has to do with retro-computers I'll
                    never figure); however, if games of Risk perpetuate like the other Parker
                    Brother's board game with the goal of acquiring Atlantic City real-estate
                    and facetiously known as "Monotony", I'll pass. ;)

                    How about a nice game of chess?

                    I still have a copy of RISK for my C64  :)
                    I wondered if they have it for the others, Apple ][ or Atari

                    =Dan

                  • Jeffrey Brace
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010
                      Risk has nothing to do with retro computers, therefore that is why it is Off Topic. But I would say some of us have an interest in this game. Much the same way many of us have an interest in science fiction (tv, movies, books etc.), and cult fiction (monty python).

                      Risk is the game of global domination. You have armies and you attack other player's countries with the goal of owning the whole world.

                      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                      From: system@...
                      Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 06:39:34 -0400

                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010
                        Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> writes:

                        >Risk has nothing to do with retro computers, therefore that is why it is Of=
                        >f Topic. But I would say some of us have an interest in this game. Much the=
                        > same way many of us have an interest in science fiction (tv, movies, books=
                        > etc.), and cult fiction (monty python).

                        Good Sci-Fi but very little has been produced in the past few decades. I'm
                        a big Monty Python fan though. ;)

                        >Risk is the game of global domination. You have armies and you attack other=
                        > player's countries with the goal of owning the whole world.

                        "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" -- Tears For Fears
                      • Jeffrey Brace
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010
                          Babylon 5 rules !

                          Love the hitchhiker guide series !

                          Stargate SG 1 !

                          To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                          From: system@...
                          Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 11:28:42 -0400

                          Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> writes:

                          >Risk has nothing to do with retro computers, therefore that is why it is Of=
                          >f Topic. But I would say some of us have an interest in this game. Much the=
                          > same way many of us have an interest in science fiction (tv, movies, books=
                          > etc.), and cult fiction (monty python).

                          Good Sci-Fi but very little has been produced in the past few decades. I'm
                          a big Monty Python fan though. ;)

                          >Risk is the game of global domination. You have armies and you attack other=
                          > player's countries with the goal of owning the whole world.

                          "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" -- Tears For Fears

                        • ysgdhio
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010
                            Wow, this thread has skidded off the rails and is currently barrelling down the cliff...

                            Maybe we should plan a M.U.L.E. tournament.

                            Andy
                          • Justin Jernigan

                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010
                                Shall we play a game?

                                -Joshua

                                On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Justin Jernigan <jaj@...> wrote:

                                I vote for Empire.

                                Sent from my iPhone

                                On Oct 5, 2010, at 2:22 PM, "ysgdhio" <ysgdhio@...> wrote:

                                Wow, this thread has skidded off the rails and is currently barrelling down the cliff...

                                Maybe we should plan a M.U.L.E. tournament.

                                Andy

                                --
                                See you space cowboy...
                              • Christopher Blackmon
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010
                                  Netrek!  :-)

                                  Christopher.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010
                                    > I would be up for any type of game that I know how to play. If we have
                                    > a Winter party perhaps we can do it at that time?

                                    ^^^^^ Most intelligent comment in this thread thus far.
                                  • Dan Roganti
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010
                                      On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> wrote:

                                      I would be up for any type of game that I know how to play. If we have a Winter party perhaps we can do it at that time ?

                                      Jeff,

                                      I wont make it to the Winter Party. How about you setup the C64 network too and run Artillery Duel. I'll challenge anyone from here at home :)

                                      =Dan
                                    • Jeffrey Brace
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 5, 2010
                                          Sounds like a plan ! As long as I have ethernet access wherever we have it. ;)

                                          To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 6, 2010
                                            Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> writes:

                                            >Sounds like a plan ! As long as I have ethernet access wherever we have it.=
                                            > ;)

                                            Ethernet? or Internet?
                                          • Dan Roganti
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Oct 6, 2010

                                              On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 6:56 AM, <system@...> wrote:
                                              Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> writes:

                                              >Sounds like a plan ! As long as I have ethernet access wherever we have it.=
                                              > ;)

                                              Ethernet? or Internet?

                                              What's it going to take to get a Lan connection in there, at least for the VCF Hall. You know you can safely string a cat5 cable upto 100m.

                                              =Dan

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Oct 6, 2010
                                                >>> What's it going to take to get a Lan connection in there, at least for the VCF Hall. You know you can safely string a cat5 cable upto 100m.

                                                Infoage has (almost) respectable wifi these days. Emphasis on "almost" but we'll rig up something -- don't forget how well it worked for the first hour of Chuck Peddle's lecture!

                                                No need to worry about it now.

                                                Ps - I'm skipping the infoage meeting tonight, but I'll report back to ya'll soon about possible weekends for our holiday party.
                                              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Oct 6, 2010
                                                  Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

                                                  >What's it going to take to get a Lan connection in there, at least for the
                                                  >VCF Hall. You know you can safely string a cat5 cable upto 100m.

                                                  100m from where? BTW, 100m is pushing the envelope with interstitial
                                                  packet delay times on the best CAT cabling. Fiber might be the better
                                                  choice depending upon where the terminus points are located.