RE: [midatlanticretro] OT: Panasonic Toughbook CF-45 monitor

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005

      From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Joe Giliberti
      Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2005 9:51 PM
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] OT: Panasonic Toughbook CF-45 monitor

      I really screwed up yesterday. I'm a member of my school's robotics
      team, and we have an old laptop of the instructor's we use. We need an
      older one because we need one with Windows 95 and a serial port. At the
      competition yesterday, I dropped the thing, screen first, onto the
      corner of our table. The LCD shattered. Does anyone have a monitor from
      a Toughbook CF-45. The teacher is quite pissed.
    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005

        > Here ya go:
        > http://www.impactcomputers.com/toughbook-cf-45-parts-display-hardware.html

        Ebay cheaper but possibly riskier.
        http://search.ebay.com//search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=cf-45
        Specifically
        http://cgi.ebay.com/PANASONIC-TOUGHBOOK-CF-45-13-TFT-LCD-Display-Set_W0QQitemZ6826124503QQcategoryZ31569QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
        > _____

      • Joe Giliberti
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
          Evan wrote:

          Nevermind then. The laptop is worth nowhere near that much
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
            Just found this however: http://tinyurl.com/7b3dj

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
              Windows 95 should run nicely on a Pentium 60 - 200 Mhz
              with 16 - 64 MB of memory and 100 - 400 MB of disk.
              Such a machine in a laptop should be about $50 complete.

              Look for other factors important to this computer, like what
              needs to be used with it, like PCMCIA cards, too.

              John A.
            • Chris M
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
                thats correct John, about 50 clams. And why this
                teacher person has created so much stress over it is
                beyond me.
                <allain@...> wrote:
                > Windows 95 should run nicely on a Pentium 60 - 200
                Mhz
                > with 16 - 64 MB of memory and 100 - 400 MB of disk.
                > Such a machine in a laptop should be about $50
                complete.

                > Look for other factors important to this computer,
                like what
                > needs to be used with it, like PCMCIA cards, too.
                >
                > John A.

                Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                dsl.yahoo.com
              • Joe Giliberti
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
                  John Allain wrote:
                  Windows 95 should run nicely on a Pentium 60 - 200 Mhz
                  with 16 - 64 MB of memory and 100 - 400 MB of disk.
                  Such a machine in a laptop should be about $50 complete.

                  Look for other factors important to this computer, like what
                  needs to be used with it, like PCMCIA cards, too.

                  John A.

                  Just need a laptop w/ at least a 200MHz processor, 32 MB RAM, 500MB HDD, a CD Drive, and 1 9 pin serial port. Should be cheap. Just didn't really want to but one. I posted on my local Freecycle for a laptop with those specs.

                • Joe Giliberti
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
                    Chris M wrote:

                    >thats correct John, about 50 clams. And why this
                    >teacher person has created so much stress over it is
                    >beyond me.

                    Because it is borrowed from a close friend. It isn't his
                  • John Allain
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
                      > thats correct John, about 50 clams. And why this
                      > teacher person has created so much stress over it is
                      > beyond me.

                      him:
                      Used computers? There are no used computers.
                      and a new one costs at least 500 dollars and will
                      only run XP and that wont work.

                      by the way, for a quick look, locate a local
                      'Computer Rennaisance' store.

                      John A.
                    • Chris M
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
                        but it only remains for the teacher or friend or
                        whoever to get a parts machine (if hes that devoted to
                        the blooming thing) and put in the new screen. Its not
                        that hard. I have broken down Thinkpads of similar
                        vintage to their basic molecular structure,
                        reassembled them, and was frequently amazed when they
                        still worked. Besides the keyboards, the screen is
                        probably the easiest thing to replace.