Re: History of networking

  • jack99rubin
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 1, 2010
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, system@... wrote:

      > "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:
      >
      > >There must be a book on the history of the Ethernet that is not written by =
      > >someone at D|i|g|i|a|l or XEROXT=20
      >
      > Is Cisco a reliable enough source???
      >
      > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/internetworking/technology/handbook/Ethernet.html#wp1020560
      >

      > The original Ethernet specifications we worked from in those days should be
      > sufficient, not? I quoted from its opening preamble here too. I'd consider
      > that all three companies had there name on that spec and should suffice that
      > they all agreed to the verbiage of it.
      >
      > Xerox created an experimental "ethernet" that became its physical link. The
      > patent to which I posted here. Ethernet is a specification of both physical
      > and Data Link layers (reference: ISO 7 layer networking model[*]). I won't
      > go on to belabor who devised the various aspects of it, nor will I elaborate
      > upon who was instrumental in its proliferation to ingrain it as the standard
      > for networking today.
      >
      > I'm not going to concern myself with this any further; I can put my H4000s
      > and H4005s, 10base5 etherhose and AUIs to use elsewhere.
      >

      > [*] Andrew S. Tannenbaum, "Computer Networks" is a good treatise on network
      > algorithms and the ISO model. I have several editions here. I can get the
      > ISBNs if anybody is interested.
      >

      > Back into the kernel for me...

      It should go without saying that no single source, especially one with a marketing department, is beyond suspicion in a discussion like this!!!

      That there was enough (perceived) demand to corral these mavericks together long enough to come up with a shared spec is the wonder of it. The real history, as "system" says, is in the internal corporate conversations and the IEEE committee meetings. Lots of head butting, private agendas and cross purposes all bottled up to produce something that was "good enough" to power Al Gore's vision for an interconnected world.

      Ever the cynic,
      Jack
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 1, 2010
        "jack99rubin" <jack.rubin@...> writes:

        >It should go without saying that no single source, especially one with a ma=
        >rketing department, is beyond suspicion in a discussion like this!!!=20

        That would leave DEC out. The Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, honest lawyers
        and DEC marketing are all fictitious entities.

        >That there was enough (perceived) demand to corral these mavericks together=
        > long enough to come up with a shared spec is the wonder of it. The real hi=
        >story, as "system" says, is in the internal corporate conversations and the=
        > IEEE committee meetings. Lots of head butting, private agendas and cross p=
        >urposes all bottled up to produce something that was "good enough" to power=
        > Al Gore's vision for an interconnected world.

        I do hope that was a tongue-in-cheek poke at "Al Gore", the inventor of
        the internet. ;)

        >Ever the cynic,

        Welcome to the club.