Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Panasonic Toughbook CF-45 monitor

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
      Joe...such is life, dont sweat it. Ill bet he could
      get a parts machine on Geekbay for under $50. I
      wouldnt lose a wink of sleep over it. And enjoy the
      M25.
      --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      <starbase89@...> wrote:
      > I really screwed up yesterday. I'm a member of my
      school's robotics
      > team, and we have an old laptop of the instructor's
      we use. We need an
      > older one because we need one with Windows 95 and a
      serial port. At the
      > competition yesterday, I dropped the thing, screen
      first, onto the
      > corner of our table. The LCD shattered. Does anyone
      have a monitor from
      > a Toughbook CF-45. The teacher is quite pissed.

      __________________________________
      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Evan

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005

          > Here ya go:
          > http://www.impactcomputers.com/toughbook-cf-45-parts-display-hardware.html

          Ebay cheaper but possibly riskier.
          http://search.ebay.com//search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=cf-45
          Specifically
          http://cgi.ebay.com/PANASONIC-TOUGHBOOK-CF-45-13-TFT-LCD-Display-Set_W0QQitemZ6826124503QQcategoryZ31569QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
          > _____

        • Joe Giliberti
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
            Evan wrote:

            Nevermind then. The laptop is worth nowhere near that much
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
              Just found this however: http://tinyurl.com/7b3dj

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
                Windows 95 should run nicely on a Pentium 60 - 200 Mhz
                with 16 - 64 MB of memory and 100 - 400 MB of disk.
                Such a machine in a laptop should be about $50 complete.

                Look for other factors important to this computer, like what
                needs to be used with it, like PCMCIA cards, too.

                John A.
              • Chris M
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
                  thats correct John, about 50 clams. And why this
                  teacher person has created so much stress over it is
                  beyond me.
                  <allain@...> wrote:
                  > Windows 95 should run nicely on a Pentium 60 - 200
                  Mhz
                  > with 16 - 64 MB of memory and 100 - 400 MB of disk.
                  > Such a machine in a laptop should be about $50
                  complete.

                  > Look for other factors important to this computer,
                  like what
                  > needs to be used with it, like PCMCIA cards, too.
                  >
                  > John A.

                  Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                  dsl.yahoo.com
                • Joe Giliberti
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
                    John Allain wrote:
                    Windows 95 should run nicely on a Pentium 60 - 200 Mhz
                    with 16 - 64 MB of memory and 100 - 400 MB of disk.
                    Such a machine in a laptop should be about $50 complete.

                    Look for other factors important to this computer, like what
                    needs to be used with it, like PCMCIA cards, too.

                    John A.

                    Just need a laptop w/ at least a 200MHz processor, 32 MB RAM, 500MB HDD, a CD Drive, and 1 9 pin serial port. Should be cheap. Just didn't really want to but one. I posted on my local Freecycle for a laptop with those specs.

                  • Joe Giliberti
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
                      Chris M wrote:

                      >thats correct John, about 50 clams. And why this
                      >teacher person has created so much stress over it is
                      >beyond me.

                      Because it is borrowed from a close friend. It isn't his
                    • John Allain
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
                        > thats correct John, about 50 clams. And why this
                        > teacher person has created so much stress over it is
                        > beyond me.

                        him:
                        Used computers? There are no used computers.
                        and a new one costs at least 500 dollars and will
                        only run XP and that wont work.

                        by the way, for a quick look, locate a local
                        'Computer Rennaisance' store.

                        John A.
                      • Chris M
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
                          but it only remains for the teacher or friend or
                          whoever to get a parts machine (if hes that devoted to
                          the blooming thing) and put in the new screen. Its not
                          that hard. I have broken down Thinkpads of similar
                          vintage to their basic molecular structure,
                          reassembled them, and was frequently amazed when they
                          still worked. Besides the keyboards, the screen is
                          probably the easiest thing to replace.