OT: Panasonic Toughbook CF-45 monitor

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
      I really screwed up yesterday. I'm a member of my school's robotics
      team, and we have an old laptop of the instructor's we use. We need an
      older one because we need one with Windows 95 and a serial port. At the
      competition yesterday, I dropped the thing, screen first, onto the
      corner of our table. The LCD shattered. Does anyone have a monitor from
      a Toughbook CF-45. The teacher is quite pissed.
    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
        Joe...such is life, dont sweat it. Ill bet he could
        get a parts machine on Geekbay for under $50. I
        wouldnt lose a wink of sleep over it. And enjoy the
        M25.
        --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        <starbase89@...> wrote:
        > I really screwed up yesterday. I'm a member of my
        school's robotics
        > team, and we have an old laptop of the instructor's
        we use. We need an
        > older one because we need one with Windows 95 and a
        serial port. At the
        > competition yesterday, I dropped the thing, screen
        first, onto the
        > corner of our table. The LCD shattered. Does anyone
        have a monitor from
        > a Toughbook CF-45. The teacher is quite pissed.

        __________________________________
        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Evan

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005

            > Here ya go:
            > http://www.impactcomputers.com/toughbook-cf-45-parts-display-hardware.html

            Ebay cheaper but possibly riskier.
            http://search.ebay.com//search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=cf-45
            Specifically
            http://cgi.ebay.com/PANASONIC-TOUGHBOOK-CF-45-13-TFT-LCD-Display-Set_W0QQitemZ6826124503QQcategoryZ31569QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
              Evan wrote:

              Nevermind then. The laptop is worth nowhere near that much
            • Evan
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
                Just found this however: http://tinyurl.com/7b3dj

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
                  Windows 95 should run nicely on a Pentium 60 - 200 Mhz
                  with 16 - 64 MB of memory and 100 - 400 MB of disk.
                  Such a machine in a laptop should be about $50 complete.

                  Look for other factors important to this computer, like what
                  needs to be used with it, like PCMCIA cards, too.

                  John A.
                • Chris M
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
                    thats correct John, about 50 clams. And why this
                    teacher person has created so much stress over it is
                    beyond me.
                    <allain@...> wrote:
                    > Windows 95 should run nicely on a Pentium 60 - 200
                    Mhz
                    > with 16 - 64 MB of memory and 100 - 400 MB of disk.
                    > Such a machine in a laptop should be about $50
                    complete.

                    > Look for other factors important to this computer,
                    like what
                    > needs to be used with it, like PCMCIA cards, too.
                    >
                    > John A.

                    Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                    dsl.yahoo.com
                  • Joe Giliberti
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
                      John Allain wrote:
                      Windows 95 should run nicely on a Pentium 60 - 200 Mhz
                      with 16 - 64 MB of memory and 100 - 400 MB of disk.
                      Such a machine in a laptop should be about $50 complete.

                      Look for other factors important to this computer, like what
                      needs to be used with it, like PCMCIA cards, too.

                      John A.

                      Just need a laptop w/ at least a 200MHz processor, 32 MB RAM, 500MB HDD, a CD Drive, and 1 9 pin serial port. Should be cheap. Just didn't really want to but one. I posted on my local Freecycle for a laptop with those specs.

                    • Joe Giliberti
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
                        Chris M wrote:

                        >thats correct John, about 50 clams. And why this
                        >teacher person has created so much stress over it is
                        >beyond me.

                        Because it is borrowed from a close friend. It isn't his
                      • John Allain
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
                          > thats correct John, about 50 clams. And why this
                          > teacher person has created so much stress over it is
                          > beyond me.

                          him:
                          Used computers? There are no used computers.
                          and a new one costs at least 500 dollars and will
                          only run XP and that wont work.

                          by the way, for a quick look, locate a local
                          'Computer Rennaisance' store.

                          John A.
                        • Chris M
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 3, 2005
                            but it only remains for the teacher or friend or
                            whoever to get a parts machine (if hes that devoted to
                            the blooming thing) and put in the new screen. Its not
                            that hard. I have broken down Thinkpads of similar
                            vintage to their basic molecular structure,
                            reassembled them, and was frequently amazed when they
                            still worked. Besides the keyboards, the screen is
                            probably the easiest thing to replace.