Re: MARCH's Altair...was..Re: [midatlanticretro] Upcoming MARCH events

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
      MARCH has a serial-converted teletype, so you can simulate the paper
      printout at least. I think it's 1200b

      Bill Degnan

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
        >>> ASR-33 and loaded from paper tape?  :-). I don't think Evan can fit that in his Miata :)

        I did once! Had the stand upside-down in the passenger seat (to accommodate the legs into the footwell area) and the teletype itself in the trunk. It fit.
      • ragooman@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
          Ok you get a merit badge for that.
          So who over there is going to help fix the ALTAIR.

          BTW the LED is out on Addr Bit 5. You don't know how annoying that is when trying to thumb in code.

          I don't who else is in the vicinity besides me that can disassemble that computer to fix that problem.

          I won't be in the neighborhood till Thanksgiving visiting family in NYC

          =Dan

          >>> ASR-33 and loaded from paper tape?  :-). I don't think Evan can fit that in his Miata :)

          I did once! Had the stand upside-down in the passenger seat (to accommodate the legs into the footwell area) and the teletype itself in the trunk. It fit.

        • David Gesswein
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
            > MARCH has a serial-converted teletype, so you can simulate the paper
            > printout at least. I think it's 1200b

            If its the one I loaned it's 110 baud. It's a straight current loop to
            232 conversion.
          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
              I am messaging with Evan to set up repairs.

              Bill Degnan

              > So who over there is going to help fix the ALTAIR.
              >
              > BTW the LED is out on Addr Bit 5. You don't know how annoying that is
              when trying to thumb in code.

              > I don't who else is in the vicinity besides me that can disassemble that
              computer to fix that problem.

              > I won't be in the neighborhood till Thanksgiving visiting family in NYC
              >
              > =Dan

            • Systems Glitch
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
                I'd be happy to work on it if I'm down that way (or anyone is up near Albany) before anyone else has taken up the task. I've got a fair bit of experience working with the S-100 bus and repairing/building/designing S-100 cards.

                In addition to the universal 64K RAM/ROM board I've been prototyping (still wire-wrapped), I've got a few various 16K static RAM S-100 boards I've picked up lately...one tested and 100% good, the other untested but in good physical shape. The wire-wrapped prototype would be more "hobbyist," but it uses 6264 SRAMs...not exactly vintage to the Altair!

                I've also got a Northstar floppy controller I picked up cheap...haven't gotten around to testing it yet, but if that's an acceptable controller for the Altair, perhaps we can use it to get CP/M up and running.

                Anyhow, if it's not more convenient for someone else to get the Altair up and running, I can take the project on.

                Thanks,
                Jonathan