Skip to search.

Re: MARCH's Altair...was..Re: [midatlanticretro] Upcoming MARCH events

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
      On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

         To get the TRUE Altair experience, shouldn't it be attached to an
      ASR-33 and loaded from paper tape?  :-)

      I don't think Evan can fit that in his Miata :)
      But with some finagling he probably could.
      I recall something a while ago about outfitting his car with JATO rockets to help cruise down the Garden State pkwy for situations like this -haah

      =Dan

    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
        MARCH has a serial-converted teletype, so you can simulate the paper
        printout at least. I think it's 1200b

        Bill Degnan

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
          >>> ASR-33 and loaded from paper tape?  :-). I don't think Evan can fit that in his Miata :)

          I did once! Had the stand upside-down in the passenger seat (to accommodate the legs into the footwell area) and the teletype itself in the trunk. It fit.
        • ragooman@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
            Ok you get a merit badge for that.
            So who over there is going to help fix the ALTAIR.

            BTW the LED is out on Addr Bit 5. You don't know how annoying that is when trying to thumb in code.

            I don't who else is in the vicinity besides me that can disassemble that computer to fix that problem.

            I won't be in the neighborhood till Thanksgiving visiting family in NYC

            =Dan

            >>> ASR-33 and loaded from paper tape?  :-). I don't think Evan can fit that in his Miata :)

            I did once! Had the stand upside-down in the passenger seat (to accommodate the legs into the footwell area) and the teletype itself in the trunk. It fit.

          • David Gesswein
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
              > MARCH has a serial-converted teletype, so you can simulate the paper
              > printout at least. I think it's 1200b

              If its the one I loaned it's 110 baud. It's a straight current loop to
              232 conversion.
            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
                I am messaging with Evan to set up repairs.

                Bill Degnan

                > So who over there is going to help fix the ALTAIR.
                >
                > BTW the LED is out on Addr Bit 5. You don't know how annoying that is
                when trying to thumb in code.

                > I don't who else is in the vicinity besides me that can disassemble that
                computer to fix that problem.

                > I won't be in the neighborhood till Thanksgiving visiting family in NYC
                >
                > =Dan

              • Systems Glitch
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
                  I'd be happy to work on it if I'm down that way (or anyone is up near Albany) before anyone else has taken up the task. I've got a fair bit of experience working with the S-100 bus and repairing/building/designing S-100 cards.

                  In addition to the universal 64K RAM/ROM board I've been prototyping (still wire-wrapped), I've got a few various 16K static RAM S-100 boards I've picked up lately...one tested and 100% good, the other untested but in good physical shape. The wire-wrapped prototype would be more "hobbyist," but it uses 6264 SRAMs...not exactly vintage to the Altair!

                  I've also got a Northstar floppy controller I picked up cheap...haven't gotten around to testing it yet, but if that's an acceptable controller for the Altair, perhaps we can use it to get CP/M up and running.

                  Anyhow, if it's not more convenient for someone else to get the Altair up and running, I can take the project on.

                  Thanks,
                  Jonathan