Re: IBM 5150 PC Keyboard

  • MattMik
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 29, 2010
      Thanks for the responses, everyone! I'll just take another quick look at all the keyboards I currently have to make sure I don't have one that would work.

      My English teacher worked for a newspaper at the time that the 5150 was released, so I believe she purchased it for word processing. Unfortunately, she didn't save any floppy disks for it, so I am also currently without DOS.

      I'll check the power supply color later, but I doubt it's anything too rare.

      Thanks!
      -Matt
    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 29, 2010
        This is not a bust on you, but you might want to save your declaration for
        "works perfectly" until you get everything hooked up and running...these
        machines can take work if they have been sitting for a while. You should
        have fun though, they're very supportable.

        Bill Degnan

        > Thanks for the responses, everyone! I'll just take another quick look at
        all the keyboards I currently have to make sure I don't have one that would
        work.

        > My English teacher worked for a newspaper at the time that the 5150 was
        released, so I believe she purchased it for word processing. Unfortunately,
        she didn't save any floppy disks for it, so I am also currently without
        DOS.

        > I'll check the power supply color later, but I doubt it's anything too
        rare.

        > Thanks!
        > -Matt

      • Bill Loguidice
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 29, 2010

          I second that. I have two different 5150’s from two different sources and both seem to have the same issue, which I’ll have to troubleshoot at some point.

          Bill Loguidice, Managing Director
          Armchair Arcade, Inc.
          http://www.armchairarcade.com
          Authored Books: http://www.armchairarcade.com/books
          Film: http://www.armchairarcade.com/film
          LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/billloguidice

          This is not a bust on you, but you might want to save your declaration for
          "works perfectly" until you get everything hooked up and running...these
          machines can take work if they have been sitting for a while. You should
          have fun though, they're very supportable.

          Bill Degnan

          > Thanks for the responses, everyone! I'll just take another quick look at
          all the keyboards I currently have to make sure I don't have one that would
          work.

          > My English teacher worked for a newspaper at the time that the 5150 was
          released, so I believe she purchased it for word processing. Unfortunately,
          she didn't save any floppy disks for it, so I am also currently without
          DOS.

          > I'll check the power supply color later, but I doubt it's anything too
          rare.

          > Thanks!
          > -Matt

        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 29, 2010
            BTW - If you can bring it to me I can probably fix it for you. I am
            located in Wilmington, Delaware or Landenberg, PA whichever is closer.

            Bill Degnan

            > Thanks for the responses, everyone! I'll just take another quick look at
            all the keyboards I currently have to make sure I don't have one that would
            work.

            > My English teacher worked for a newspaper at the time that the 5150 was
            released, so I believe she purchased it for word processing. Unfortunately,
            she didn't save any floppy disks for it, so I am also currently without
            DOS.

            > I'll check the power supply color later, but I doubt it's anything too
            rare.

            > Thanks!
            > -Matt

          • mejeep_ferret
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 5, 2010
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "MattMik" <mikolaym@...> wrote:
              ... I don't have a keyboard for it.

              I have a new in box Chicony keyboard that's switchable for XT or AT.
              We can meet at InfoAge on Sunday, or meet up elsewhere.
              I'm in Elizabeth NJ
              -- jeffj/at/panix.com