MARCH's Altair...was..Re: [midatlanticretro] Upcoming MARCH events

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
      On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

      On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 2:24 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

      Dan: do you trust me to borrow that Altair BASIC card?  :)

      yes, but.....

      That Altair is gonna need some serious TLC. Remember the card guide fell off --it was already off -- so there's still some missing nuts 'n bolts which attaches it to the card cage. We found that one I heard rolling around Sat nite. I still don't know if there's anything loose remaining in there, wedged in there, etc, or if they all fell out. So before you take that out on the road anytime - or there at InfoAge -- Do Not Power On --

      Is there any S-100 folks there locally that can inspect this before it shorts out ?

      If not, I would like to suggest bringing this machine to Bill Degnan. I can always video conf. with him to help with this.

      Then we can start talking about upgrading this machine to run Rom Basic. That's always a preferable option for museum display - people like to see that stuff running and watching the results reflect on the front panel dispaly. The cards that are in there now are not doing much help for exhibiting this machine, except for the memory card of course. And it takes much more work to even think about installing a floppy disk system on there.

      I can easily get the Rom Basic burned into another set of Eproms. I'll put that on my ToDo List here. But there are some options with this that have to be discussed further at a later time. Beginning with, getting a SIO2 card for that in order to run Altair Basic - maybe someone can loan us one --[hint,hint] :)  Otherwise I can get it to run Imsai Basic with the code patched to run on any serial card--and patch the message prompt to say something other than Imsai ;)

      =Dan
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
        On Wed, 29 Sep 2010, Dan Roganti wrote:

        > I can easily get the Rom Basic burned into another set of Eproms. I'll put
        > that on my ToDo List here. But there are some options with this that have to
        > be discussed further at a later time. Beginning with, getting a SIO2 card
        > for that in order to run Altair Basic - maybe someone can loan us one
        > --[hint,hint] :) Otherwise I can get it to run Imsai Basic with the code
        > patched to run on any serial card--and patch the message prompt to say
        > something other than Imsai ;)

        To get the TRUE Altair experience, shouldn't it be attached to an
        ASR-33 and loaded from paper tape? :-)

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
          On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

             To get the TRUE Altair experience, shouldn't it be attached to an
          ASR-33 and loaded from paper tape?  :-)

          I don't think Evan can fit that in his Miata :)
          But with some finagling he probably could.
          I recall something a while ago about outfitting his car with JATO rockets to help cruise down the Garden State pkwy for situations like this -haah

          =Dan

        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
            MARCH has a serial-converted teletype, so you can simulate the paper
            printout at least. I think it's 1200b

            Bill Degnan

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
              >>> ASR-33 and loaded from paper tape?  :-). I don't think Evan can fit that in his Miata :)

              I did once! Had the stand upside-down in the passenger seat (to accommodate the legs into the footwell area) and the teletype itself in the trunk. It fit.
            • ragooman@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
                Ok you get a merit badge for that.
                So who over there is going to help fix the ALTAIR.

                BTW the LED is out on Addr Bit 5. You don't know how annoying that is when trying to thumb in code.

                I don't who else is in the vicinity besides me that can disassemble that computer to fix that problem.

                I won't be in the neighborhood till Thanksgiving visiting family in NYC

                =Dan

                >>> ASR-33 and loaded from paper tape?  :-). I don't think Evan can fit that in his Miata :)

                I did once! Had the stand upside-down in the passenger seat (to accommodate the legs into the footwell area) and the teletype itself in the trunk. It fit.

              • David Gesswein
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
                  > MARCH has a serial-converted teletype, so you can simulate the paper
                  > printout at least. I think it's 1200b

                  If its the one I loaned it's 110 baud. It's a straight current loop to
                  232 conversion.
                • Bill Degnan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
                    I am messaging with Evan to set up repairs.

                    Bill Degnan

                    > So who over there is going to help fix the ALTAIR.
                    >
                    > BTW the LED is out on Addr Bit 5. You don't know how annoying that is
                    when trying to thumb in code.

                    > I don't who else is in the vicinity besides me that can disassemble that
                    computer to fix that problem.

                    > I won't be in the neighborhood till Thanksgiving visiting family in NYC
                    >
                    > =Dan

                  • Systems Glitch
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 29, 2010
                      I'd be happy to work on it if I'm down that way (or anyone is up near Albany) before anyone else has taken up the task. I've got a fair bit of experience working with the S-100 bus and repairing/building/designing S-100 cards.

                      In addition to the universal 64K RAM/ROM board I've been prototyping (still wire-wrapped), I've got a few various 16K static RAM S-100 boards I've picked up lately...one tested and 100% good, the other untested but in good physical shape. The wire-wrapped prototype would be more "hobbyist," but it uses 6264 SRAMs...not exactly vintage to the Altair!

                      I've also got a Northstar floppy controller I picked up cheap...haven't gotten around to testing it yet, but if that's an acceptable controller for the Altair, perhaps we can use it to get CP/M up and running.

                      Anyhow, if it's not more convenient for someone else to get the Altair up and running, I can take the project on.

                      Thanks,
                      Jonathan