IBM 5150 PC Keyboard

  • MattMik
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 28, 2010
      Hey guys!

      So my English teacher just gave me her old IBM 5150 computer with the monochrome monitor. For free. Score! It's in perfect working condition...the only problem is, I don't have a keyboard for it. Does anybody know where I can get a keyboard for it? Or is there some other keyboard that works with it?

      Thanks!
      -Matt
    • Systems Glitch
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 28, 2010
        There are a number of PC/AT "universal" keyboards that have a switch on the bottom to toggle between PC or AT mode. The Northgate OmniKey boards we use at work support such function, but I've seen it on $5 bargain bin keyboards some time ago.

        Have fun with your new find!

        Thanks,
        Jonathan

        On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 01:36:42 -0000
        "MattMik" <mikolaym@...> wrote:

        > Hey guys!
        >
        > So my English teacher just gave me her old IBM 5150 computer with the monochrome monitor. For free. Score! It's in perfect working condition...the only problem is, I don't have a keyboard for it. Does anybody know where I can get a keyboard for it? Or is there some other keyboard that works with it?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > -Matt

      • Jeffrey Brace
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 28, 2010
          that is great ! especially to have in working condition ! so what was the English teacher using it for ? reminds me of my english teacher back in 1991 was still using a TRS-80 to put his grades on it. I didn't even know what kind of computer it was at the time.

          To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 28, 2010
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "MattMik" <mikolaym@...> wrote:
            > So my English teacher just gave me her old IBM 5150 computer

            Black or silver power supply?
            I heard the black one's rarer/older.

            > ... I don't have a keyboard for it.

            I do, in Elizabeth NJ.
            -- jeffj
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 28, 2010
              > I do, in Elizabeth NJ.
              > -- jeffj

              Jeff: Matt lives down near InfoAge (in Middletown), so if you two work
              out a deal, then perhaps you could bring it along with the C= monitors etc.
            • Joe Giliberti
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 29, 2010
                I have a Zenith Data Systems PC/XT keyboard you can have.

                Joe

                On 9/28/2010 9:36 PM, MattMik wrote:
                > Hey guys!
                >
                > So my English teacher just gave me her old IBM 5150 computer with the monochrome monitor. For free. Score! It's in perfect working condition...the only problem is, I don't have a keyboard for it. Does anybody know where I can get a keyboard for it? Or is there some other keyboard that works with it?
                >
                > Thanks!
                > -Matt

              • MattMik
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 29, 2010
                  Thanks for the responses, everyone! I'll just take another quick look at all the keyboards I currently have to make sure I don't have one that would work.

                  My English teacher worked for a newspaper at the time that the 5150 was released, so I believe she purchased it for word processing. Unfortunately, she didn't save any floppy disks for it, so I am also currently without DOS.

                  I'll check the power supply color later, but I doubt it's anything too rare.

                  Thanks!
                  -Matt
                • Bill Degnan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 29, 2010
                    This is not a bust on you, but you might want to save your declaration for
                    "works perfectly" until you get everything hooked up and running...these
                    machines can take work if they have been sitting for a while. You should
                    have fun though, they're very supportable.

                    Bill Degnan

                    > Thanks for the responses, everyone! I'll just take another quick look at
                    all the keyboards I currently have to make sure I don't have one that would
                    work.

                    > My English teacher worked for a newspaper at the time that the 5150 was
                    released, so I believe she purchased it for word processing. Unfortunately,
                    she didn't save any floppy disks for it, so I am also currently without
                    DOS.

                    > I'll check the power supply color later, but I doubt it's anything too
                    rare.

                    > Thanks!
                    > -Matt

                  • Bill Loguidice
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 29, 2010

                      I second that. I have two different 5150’s from two different sources and both seem to have the same issue, which I’ll have to troubleshoot at some point.

                      Bill Loguidice, Managing Director
                      Armchair Arcade, Inc.
                      http://www.armchairarcade.com
                      Authored Books: http://www.armchairarcade.com/books
                      Film: http://www.armchairarcade.com/film
                      LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/billloguidice

                      This is not a bust on you, but you might want to save your declaration for
                      "works perfectly" until you get everything hooked up and running...these
                      machines can take work if they have been sitting for a while. You should
                      have fun though, they're very supportable.

                      Bill Degnan

                      > Thanks for the responses, everyone! I'll just take another quick look at
                      all the keyboards I currently have to make sure I don't have one that would
                      work.

                      > My English teacher worked for a newspaper at the time that the 5150 was
                      released, so I believe she purchased it for word processing. Unfortunately,
                      she didn't save any floppy disks for it, so I am also currently without
                      DOS.

                      > I'll check the power supply color later, but I doubt it's anything too
                      rare.

                      > Thanks!
                      > -Matt

                    • Bill Degnan
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 29, 2010
                        BTW - If you can bring it to me I can probably fix it for you. I am
                        located in Wilmington, Delaware or Landenberg, PA whichever is closer.

                        Bill Degnan

                        > Thanks for the responses, everyone! I'll just take another quick look at
                        all the keyboards I currently have to make sure I don't have one that would
                        work.

                        > My English teacher worked for a newspaper at the time that the 5150 was
                        released, so I believe she purchased it for word processing. Unfortunately,
                        she didn't save any floppy disks for it, so I am also currently without
                        DOS.

                        > I'll check the power supply color later, but I doubt it's anything too
                        rare.

                        > Thanks!
                        > -Matt

                      • mejeep_ferret
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 5, 2010
                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "MattMik" <mikolaym@...> wrote:
                          ... I don't have a keyboard for it.

                          I have a new in box Chicony keyboard that's switchable for XT or AT.
                          We can meet at InfoAge on Sunday, or meet up elsewhere.
                          I'm in Elizabeth NJ
                          -- jeffj/at/panix.com