Vintage

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2010
      I hate these threads, whether here or on cctalk or anywhere else.

      But if we must .....

      Newton and its cousins have always been part of the VCF franchise, long before MARCH.

      It's yet another example of why age alone, nor any black-and-white lines, should not be applied to our hobby.

      Chris: I declare your SGI exhibit "welcome" at the next VCF. I'm not worried, because you'll do well at explaining how/why it's relevant vs mainstream computers of that era.

      Funny twist: did you all know that the Computer History Museum (the big one in Calif.) is located in a former SGI building?
    • telmnstr@757.org
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 28, 2010
        > Funny twist: did you all know that the Computer History Museum (the big
        > one in Calif.) is located in a former SGI building?

        SGI Cisco and Sun were all born in the same building. SGI founder Jim
        Clark thought they should go into PC video cards, but the board wanted to
        continue to rake it in on the expensive workstations that the gov't would
        buy (and some hollywood sales.)

        He left, and formed a company called Netscape.

        Lots of people thought that SGIs computers were all graphics workstations,
        when really many of the big systems just had a serial console. Challenge
        series by default had no graphics, nor Origin. There were some add ons to
        put graphics on them but they weren't ment for it.

        Still pretty cool systems. IRIS 1000 came on the scene around 1984.