VCF Exhibits - how to determine on topic

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2010
      My reply got mixed up, here it is again:

      The MARCH BOD should probably have a serious discussion about VCF and what

      this year is on-topic, maybe make a 5 year plan of some kind. Time marches

      on, vintage-computer.com just added a Pentium forum...

      Is my item appropriate for VCF?

      Age of item points (in years)
      Plus historical-ness of item points (0-3 pts)
      Plus general consensus points (0-2 pts)
      Equals "on-topic score"

      Let's say as a general rule you need at least 25 points to be "on topic"

      Very subjective, but in general this allows for some variance in age and
      interest to make an item on topic.

      With this logic, the older and most historic SGI systems would be on topic,
      yes? The Marco/Newton less so.

      Bill
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 28, 2010
        "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

        >this year is on-topic, maybe make a 5 year plan of some kind. Time marches
        >on, vintage-computer.com just added a Pentium forum...

        Does this mean that _any_ CPU architecture which cannot properly handle
        floating point computation is ripe for vintage-computer status? :P

        >Is my item appropriate for VCF?
        >
        >Age of item points (in years)
        >Plus historical-ness of item points (0-3 pts)
        >Plus general consensus points (0-2 pts)
        >Equals "on-topic score"
        >
        >Let's say as a general rule you need at least 25 points to be "on topic"

        If we can all come to the concensus that this is 2010 (at least, for three
        more months), using your NON-subjective criteria, any kit prior to 1985 is
        a shoo-in. My problem is the subjective nature of the other two criteria.

        The original Mac just squeaks in under the ledge of the first criteria. I
        contend that there is much more "historical-ness" in some kit that is more
        recent (5 years hence, for example).

        I'm still having problems understanding the "Guitar Hero" at the last VCF,
        as an example.
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 28, 2010
          >>> I'm still having problems understanding the "Guitar Hero" at the last VCF, as an example.

          VCF, long before MARCH existed, has always made room for modern enhancements to vintage computers (and for replicas.)