MARCH Facebook - enable the Photo page option

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 27, 2010
      Evan,

      You should enable on the Photo page on the MARCH's facebook
      might as well start posting on there
      I'll upload mine pics on there from the show
      how about everyone else do the same.

      =Dan

    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 27, 2010

        #1 This is very much a family event, so that means lots of children. Which means keep the good stuff out of reach and bring some cheap stuff that you don't care if it breaks.

        #2 Need to make some cheap units for kids. I will keep an eye out for more cheap pong units that we don't care if they break. I understand that we are not a gaming club, but I find that the kids bring the parents and we then talk to the parents who will bring the kids to the museum. It's a hook and it works.

        #3 The C64s were big.. I cannot tell you how many people were like "I had that, blah blah blah"

        #4 Call the hotel before going, the address may have changed

        #5 Dress better, to many really attractive women at this show.

      • David Comley
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 27, 2010
          Can I suggest a #6 - louder signage ? I took my daughter to Maker Faire on Sunday and we both managed to completely miss the MARCH booth despite looking out for it as we trudged around.

          -Dave

          #1 This is very much a family event, so that means lots of children. Which means keep the good stuff out of reach and bring some cheap stuff that you don't care if it breaks.

          #3 The C64s were big.. I cannot tell you how many people were like "I had that, blah blah blah"

          #4 Call the hotel before going, the address may have changed

          #5 Dress better, to many really attractive women at this show.

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 27, 2010
            It wasn't a signage problem, it was a location problem. They put us on the second floor in a corner.

            From: David Comley <david_comley@...>
            Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 09:57:33 -0700 (PDT)
            To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

            #1 This is very much a family event, so that means lots of children. Which means keep the good stuff out of reach and bring some cheap stuff that you don't care if it breaks.

            #3 The C64s were big.. I cannot tell you how many people were like "I had that, blah blah blah"

            #4 Call the hotel before going, the address may have changed

            #5 Dress better, to many really attractive women at this show.

          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 27, 2010

              #5 Dress better, to many really attractive women at this show.

              One way that's always good to present the group is to be in some of uniform outfit, such as having the same polo shirt having a shirt pocket emblem of the museum - much as any organization at a trade show. Not T-shirts, that might be fine for the other hacker groups, but you want to make an impression as a museum. VCF is a different story.

              It's real simple to have a few select sizes available to accommodate anyone who volunteers, and at the end of the show, bring it home and throw it in the washing machine -done.
            • brian_cirulnick
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 27, 2010

                > #5 Dress better, to many really attractive women at this show.

                -----------------------------------

                You kept saying that, and somehow, I always seemed to get stuck having to entertain the old, smelly, crazy guys who wouldn't shut up about them working on an IBM 360 back in the day...

                The only women I saw had 1+ kids in tow, and I always take off hotness points for that...
              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 27, 2010
                  On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 1:41 PM, brian_cirulnick <techrat@...> wrote:

                  > #5 Dress better, to many really attractive women at this show.

                  -----------------------------------

                  You kept saying that, and somehow, I always seemed to get stuck having to entertain the old, smelly, crazy guys who wouldn't shut up about them working on an IBM 360 back in the day...

                  The only women I saw had 1+ kids in tow, and I always take off hotness points for that...

                  there were plenty of geek & gamer girls :)
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eJmYKN_1QE

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 27, 2010

                    there were plenty of geek & gamer girls :)
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eJmYKN_1QE

                    I was particularly fond of the "living trophies" from the chariot race.  They visited our booth.  Yowza.
                  • Jeffrey Brace
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 27, 2010
                      Evan,

                      I know we had a bad location, but I have to agree with David that there could have been better signage. For example in the hallway a sign saying Vintage computers and an arrow pointing. I think many people walking by had no idea what we were or that we were a maker. For example the modern internet computers were across from us may have confused or obscured us. They may not have taken a closer look. As with a lot of the Makers I passed by there, there were not a lot of signs explaining what they were at a glance. So they could easily be passed by without knowing what you were looking at. Something

                      I also agree with Dan. Better dress. Uniform dress.

                      A few other ideas:
                      1) Have some simple signs explaining who we are and what we do. Many people thought we recycled old computers or something similar.

                      2) Set up the computers similar to the museum. With signs about the computer and some manuals etc that go with them.

                      3) A three stage presentation. A) Lure them in with something snazzy. B) If they are more interested go a little deeper. C) Teach them something simple like basic programming etc. (This three stage thing made better sense in my head when I was thinking about it today).

                      4) We should try to focus on an objective. What are we trying to do ? A) Get more people to the museum ? B) Advertise ? C) Teach ? D) Entertain ? E) Inspire ?

                      5) We should express our mission: Our mission is to collect and preserve vintage computers; to educate and inspire; and to have fun!!! We strive to restore vintage computers to working condition as much as possible.

                      6) I personally have some ideas based on what people are asking. Some of which is to educate myself more about the C64, Shredz and ways to illustrate. Also some of my explanation will be modified to make sure that they don't get the wrong impression of what we are demonstrating right off the bat.

                      7) Short videos explaining ourself.

                      8) Down the line (when we have a better location etc). Have simple scheduled presentations.

                      9) Educate all the presenters about the other exhibits as much as possible so that they can cover when others are on break. For example I don't much about he Altaire and would love to be able to explain it a little better.

                      What are your thoughts about next year ? The same or similar setups ?  Or is it too early to plan for that ?

                      Jeff Brace

                      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                      From: evan@...
                      Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 17:13:52 +0000

                      It wasn't a signage problem, it was a location problem. They put us on the second floor in a corner.

                      From: David Comley <david_comley@...>
                      Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 09:57:33 -0700 (PDT)
                      To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                      #1 This is very much a family event, so that means lots of children. Which means keep the good stuff out of reach and bring some cheap stuff that you don't care if it breaks.

                      #3 The C64s were big.. I cannot tell you how many people were like "I had that, blah blah blah"

                      #4 Call the hotel before going, the address may have changed

                      #5 Dress better, to many really attractive women at this show.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 27, 2010

                        could have been better signage. For example in the hallway a sign saying Vintage computers and an arrow pointing. .... Many people thought we recycled old computers or something similar.

                        Being right next to a recycling group didn't help.  The guy at that table kept asking passers-by, "What do you do with your old computers!?" ..... part of me wanted to tell him to clam it because it could made people think we were with them ..... of course I couldn't do that.  I have no idea if our placement near that group was a coincidence or someone's ill-conceived "good idea".

                        A three stage presentation. A) Lure them in with something snazzy. B) If they are more interested go a little deeper. C) Teach them something simple like basic programming etc. (This three stage thing made better sense in my head when I was thinking about it today).

                        Yup.  That's our plan for the new museum space.  We can try it at future events too.

                        We should try to focus on an objective. What are we trying to do ? A) Get more people to the museum ? B) Advertise ? C) Teach ? D) Entertain ? E) Inspire ?

                        5) We should express our mission: Our mission is to collect and preserve vintage computers; to educate and inspire; and to have fun!!! We strive to restore vintage computers to working condition as much as possible.

                        I simply told most people, "We're a computer history club, just like an antique car club.  We collect and restore vintage computers" and then I got into what's a vintage computers, how we also have a museum and our own show, etc.

                        What are your thoughts about next year .... is it too early to plan for that ?

                        Ask me next summer.   :)

                      • Dan Roganti
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 28, 2010
                          I think the one of the other most important items is Logistics.
                          There' no reason why you can't rent a UHaul van for only $20/day to haul everything. That's what a budget is for, to make planning a possible feat. Plus you get to carry more and avoid all the last minute shuffling. And you can have one more person to car pool with the driver. Hell, even more can car pool in the back if you pack it right.

                          =Dan