I just snagged Audrey and I can't wait to get into ... ummm

  • mejeep_ferret
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 23, 2010
      My Netpliance i-openers were kinda lonely so I just got a new in box 3Com Audrey to keep them company. Never even powered up before (tape still over the power connector). How shall I deflower her? Let me count the ways.

      I know it was 9 years ago when Audrey was abandoned. Are there any noteworthy hacks or mods I should know about? I'd love to get it running IP wirelessly via USB. If anyone's still running one, let me know!

      -- jeffj+at+panix+dot+com
    • mark66j
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 27, 2010
        Hi. I've got a couple of Audreys. This is probably a good page to start with:

        http://audrey.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

        There are some images that are fairly easy to flash onto the Audrey that make it more useful. One nice use is as a call-waiting indicator that can tie into other Audreys or computers running compatible software.

        It's been a while since I played with that but you can find info on it at the above site.

        I'm not sure about wireless USB. Wired ethernet works well if you have the supported 3Com adapter (these were not too hard to find when I looked a while back).

        My Audreys are offline right now but I hope to set them up again soon.

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 27, 2010
          Hello -- please introduce yourself. Name, location, background, how you found us, etc.

          To all: 1990s Internet appliances are on-topic because they're pioneering and obsolete.
        • Andrew Molloy
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 28, 2010
            I picked up an Audrey in 2005 after seeing one at Bruce Damer's Digibarn.  It would look perfect on the Jetsons. I think Evan and I talked about the Audrey being eligible for VCF in 2010 (i.e., the ten year rule) so it certainly must be eligible now. :)

            Andy

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 28, 2010

              I picked up an Audrey in 2005 after seeing one at Bruce Damer's Digibarn.  It would look perfect on the Jetsons. I think Evan and I talked about the Audrey being eligible for VCF in 2010 (i.e., the ten year rule) so it certainly must be eligible now. :)

              I'm quite sure I never invoked that so-called rule.  I prefer the common-sense rule -- lest anyone show up with Windows 2000 and insist it's on-topic.
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 28, 2010
                Andrew Molloy wrote:
                I picked up an Audrey in 2005 after seeing one at Bruce Damer's Digibarn.  It would look perfect on the Jetsons. I think Evan and I talked about the Audrey being eligible for VCF in 2010 (i.e., the ten year rule) so it certainly must be eligible now. :)

                I am glad to hear we're starting to think about exhibits for VCF next Spring.  I am still not sure myself...what to do what to do.

                bd

              • Andrew Molloy
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 28, 2010
                  On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 7:41 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                  I picked up an Audrey in 2005 after seeing one at Bruce Damer's Digibarn.  It would look perfect on the Jetsons. I think Evan and I talked about the Audrey being eligible for VCF in 2010 (i.e., the ten year rule) so it certainly must be eligible now. :)

                  I'm quite sure I never invoked that so-called rule.  I prefer the common-sense rule -- lest anyone show up with Windows 2000 and insist it's on-topic.

                  __._,_.

                  I think I must have been sniffing Apple IIe power supply fumes (or maybe Kaypro) ;)

                  Andy
                • Bob Schwier
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 28, 2010
                    The ten year rule gets less valid with each advancing year.
                    During World War One, any car that had survived from the turn of the century  could
                    be considered historic.  By 1937 a Model T was not a classic but an old heap driven
                    by someone who needed a car and could not afford a newer one.  Now it is a classic.
                    Cars were not common in 1900 and the cars that were built would quickly be
                    made obsolescent by the more common cars that would replace them.
                    There are a lot of Windows 2000 installations still on line, in both senses of the term.
                    It is not yet historic.   Yet the same cannot be said for Windows 95 or 3.1.  They are
                    becoming historic and also almost beyond the current knowledge base to maintain.
                    Part of the exercise maybe to consider what will be historic that exists now and
                    to try to preserve it for the understanding of future generations.
                    bs

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 28, 2010
                      The "on topic/off topic" issue comes up often in various groups and
                      forums. Personally, I just take a realistic view of it. Overall,
                      classic/vintage/retro computing is a hobby we are partaking. For some
                      it's for nostalgia, others the challenge and still there's those who are
                      for the history, with overlapping reasonings, so what's it for someone
                      to say your particular interests with computing are not relevant. Enjoy
                      the hobby, share with the community and public the knowledge and
                      experience. If the topic isn't relevant to your interests, there's
                      plenty of other things to be distracted with instead. In the future,
                      everything is retro. Could go further, but would rather not, this is
                      just my two cents... Also, I had an Audrey on a shelf with my display
                      of FAIL at the last VCFEast. :)

                      Mike

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 4, 2010
                        Jeff,

                        There was almost a cottage industry around hacking the i-opener and the
                        Compaq IA-2. I don't recall much for the Audrey but hacking it should be
                        similar to hacking an i-opener. Unfortunately some of those website died
                        when Yahoo pulled the plug on Geocities.

                        Jim