Re: [midatlanticretro] Maker Faire - net access; InfoAge

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 22, 2010
      "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

      >Please clarify DEC's role vs. PARC's.

      From the "DIX" specification:

      The Ethernet
      A Local Area Network
      Data Link Layer
      and
      Physical Layer
      Specifications

      d|i|g|i|t|a|l intel XEROX

      V2.0 AA-K759B-TK

      (note who was responsible for all documentation)

      PREFACE

      This document contains the specification of the Ehternet, a local area
      network developed joinly by Digital Equipment Corporation, Intel Corp-
      oration and Xerox Corporation. The Ethernet specification is the result
      of an extensive collaborative effort of the three corpporations, and
      several years of work at Xerox on an earlier prototype Ethernet.

      The early ethernet from Xerox was a 3 mbit/sec. prototype. It was based
      on slotted-Aloha. The Ethernet of V2 was CSMA-CD and 10mbits. Intel did
      and supplied the transceiver chips. The controllers for the transceivers
      (in the early VAX 11-780 days, the DEUNA -- DEC Etherner Unibus Network
      Adapter -- with one DMA driver developed by yours truly) were designed and
      built by DEC. [**]

      The data link layer was very much influenced by DEC -- developers of the
      UART -- who'd understood issues of serial communications protocols. The
      Ethernet's FCS (Frame Check Seq.), as an example, uses a CRC AutoDIN-II
      polynomial. For those not so VAX instruction set familiar, the VAX has a
      single CRC instruction to efficiently perform this calculation as part of
      its instruction set. The VAX predated the Ethernet. ;)

      Xerox maintained the preamble address assignments and was responsible for
      the seed development. Metcalfe left Xerox, if my memory serves, before it
      was involved in DIX and the "Ethernet"

      I'm sure there's actual history on all of this published somewhere. I'm
      only familiar with what I known from working with/on it at the time. I'm
      a programmer/developer, not a historian. ;)

      [**] I don't have a DEUNA card but I do have a DEBNT (DEC Ethernet BI-BUS
      Network Transceiver) pinned to my office wall.